View Poll Results: If someone gave you an envelope with your death date inside of it, would you open it?

Voters
106. This poll is closed
  • Yes, lets face the music

73 68.87%
  • Nope, I dont really want to know

33 31.13%
Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

If someone gave you an envelope with your death date inside of it, would you open it?

Title says it all. Why or why not?

Yeah.Cause it's either bullshit otherwise ur immortal up until the date.

10+ Year Old Account
    technically you could end your life before that date rendering that date completely incorrect.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Only if I knew ahead of time whether that date was set in stone or not.

If that date is guaranteed, meaning I will only die on that date no matter what? Sure, that means I can do pretty much whatever I want that won't end with my laying in a hospital bed or prison for the rest of my life.
    If that is just the date it WOULD have been were it not for reading the letter? Probably not as it would have no meaning anymore once I read it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Immediately. So much of my life would be simplified if I only knew exactly when I'll die.

That's tough... On one hand I would want to know but on the other hand I feel like if I knew I might obsess over it. Not really sure what the best thing to do would be to be honest.

I remember a comic, think i was a watch showing your death date. The character knew he would live 40 more years, he fail a jump and his brain ended up in a jar the doctor clicked on the watch and it showed 2 days "lucky bastard, im stuck in this jar for 40 years".

How would I be able to trust the "guy" giving the note? I know im not a perfect judge even if i think its god it might aswell be the devil he would so easily be able to fool me. If there was something as a set time for death the importance of eating healthy and having a healthy lifestyle seem a bit pointless.

I would want to know a couple of months before I die just to get everything in order and do the things I like a last time.
    So my answer is: I would take the envelope I would give it to a lawyer and tell him to contact me 1 year before the date in the envelope.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather die not knowing when.

If I open that envelope, I'll spend the rest of my life dreading an inevitable date that I know is coming. Without that knowledge, I live as I do now, not knowing. Ignorance is bliss.
    Putin khuliyo

If I know my date, then maybe I would stay inside fearing something would happen if I go outside, but then by staying inside a plane crashes on my house killing me. I would have caused my own death by knowing what would happen.

3+ Year Old Account
    Face the destiny, get clear what to do in the rest part of life, fulfill them before the date, then smile and wait death arrive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, then kill myself before that date because fuck you, I won't do what you tell me!

7+ Year Old Account
    If I tell you what happens, it won’t happen.

Something that simple would spell absolute catastrophe on the world. People with let's say loose sense of morality would be able to commit crimes to their hearts content close to their death date, knowing they will avoid all consequences. Even for regular people that would be a temptation to do stupid stuff with not great results for others, even if the actions aren't crimes.

Example? Take a huge loan sometime before the day and live like a queen, and then tough luck bank.
    Last edited by Azadina; 2019-06-17 at 08:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Too great a risk it ends up being wrong and I'm stuck with a ton of credit card debt.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, that would mean that time travels exist. Time to exploit it.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes and then I'd report it to the police that someone was going to try and kill me in that day because unless that was the intent of the date nobody can determine the day your going to die
    #boycottchina

yes

im not too thrilled about the direction my life is in right now

i could make a day out of it

Nope. You know in those stories where someone gets told a prophecy of how they'll be defeated or die, and than the their obsession to stop that almost certainly causes their end? I feel like knowing the date would almost certainly make me do something stupid to avoid it happening, which would cause it to happen. Best to not know, so I dont have to worry about it. : |

10+ Year Old Account
    You bet I would. In my case, not knowing is inconvenient. Doctors (and I did get second opinions) were certain that I'm going to die before I hit 50. That was when I was in my 30s. Now that I'm about to turn 60 it would be nice to have a definitive answer so I could plan the remaining years of my remaining years a bit more effectively.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    technically you could end your life before that date rendering that date completely incorrect.
    the only way for it to be accurate is if the letter kills you when you open it.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."