Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Come and play World of Warcraft, the high fantasy WAR simulator...

Come and play World of Warcraft, the high fantasy WAR simulator... where the plots are about WARS, the stories are about WARS, the characters are at WAR, the factions are at WAR, the cinematics show WAR, but god forbid you should actually want to fight in the fucking WAR in WARCRAFT coz that is a silly SUB OPTIMAL WASTE OF TIME WITH NO REWARD OR INFRASTRUCTURE.

Let me just say up front that I am an idiot. A poor addicted idiot. I've played WoW since 14 years old during Vanilla til now with various breaks. I am stupid enough to keep coming back thinking they have changed something meaningful but I just get back to the same point of anger because in summary there have been tantamount to ZERO PvP infrastructure improvement or changes in over 15 years of development of this game.

If someone had told me in 2004 that in 15 years of development that the pinnacle of the WoW PvP experience would be some shitty toxic Arena game I would have not have believed them. It's not fun. It doesn't give a reward. It's uninspiring even when you win. I came to this game to be involved in warfare not be a roman gladiator.

And just so we are clear 340 - 370 ilvl gear, marks of honour and chump change in a box is not a reward. Nor are achievements, titles or whatever cosmetics bullshit they cook up next. It is insulting garbage that distracts us from the fact that there is actually no reward for doing PvP.

PvP is treated as something you do for it's own sake with ZERO infrastructure and has NO IMPORTANCE in the game. This game is called WARcraft and yet the game itself has NO infrastructure to give you a single competitive gear piece from PvP activity (Discounting arena of course as to me this is not War).

My overall point of writing this was to motivate myself to quit permanently because I am stuck here and I want to leave but lacking an alternative. I undoubtedly feel I have a sunk cost fallacy syndrome with this god damn game.

Game is highly toxic and I don't want it in my life anymore. I have kids, I have responsibilities. For years all I wanted is to play a high-fantasy setting PvP game and it's been chopped, gutted, destroyed 7 times over. I'm sad.

If you didn't quit in WoD you never will.

Perhaps I could interest you in some self improvement?

We have a special running on Jordan Peterson and Joe Rogan atm.

I mean I think the whole obsession over the "WAR" in warcraft is a little silly because the war part of the name isn't really a big deal. Warcraft started as a knockoff of the Warhammer, it wasn't named that way because it's about wars only. The name "World of Warcraft" is because it's a world based on the Warcraft series, which was only named Warcraft because they couldn't get the Warhammer license.

I kind of agree that PvP in WoW is a total mess though. PvP should never have been turned into a competitive esport and I feel like not only PvP but the whole game has suffered because of it. Not only because they've altered balance in the game for PvP at all but because they have this "balanced game" fetish that has driven the game to being as mathematical and boring because of it.

Arena is just a crappy pandora's box that should have never been opened. WoW PvP was designed to be out in the open world with conflict at a moment's notice and that's why people loved it, not this stupid controlled environment where you battle the game's crappy UI.

I have learned that playing it in spurts is the best thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post
    If you didn't quit in WoD you never will.
    Fair point WoD was a low point for sure. For PvP however, Legion was lower than that. And BFA is a continuation of that low.

Perhaps I could interest you in some self improvement?

We have a special running on Jordan Peterson and Joe Rogan atm.
    I must politely decline.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    I kind of agree that PvP in WoW is a total mess though. PvP should never have been turned into a competitive esport and I feel like not only PvP but the whole game has suffered because of it. Not only because they've altered balance in the game for PvP at all but because they have this "balanced game" fetish that has driven the game to being as mathematical and boring because of it.

Arena is just a crappy pandora's box that should have never been opened. WoW PvP was designed to be out in the open world with conflict at a moment's notice and that's why people loved it, not this stupid controlled environment where you battle the game's crappy UI.
    Agree with all of that.

I mean I think the whole obsession over the "WAR" in warcraft is a little silly because the war part of the name isn't really a big deal. Warcraft started as a knockoff of the Warhammer, it wasn't named that way because it's about wars only. The name "World of Warcraft" is because it's a world based on the Warcraft series, which was only named Warcraft because they couldn't get the Warhammer license.
    I understand what you are saying but if they sell the game with all this War marketing and focus on War and conflict as a major theme then I sort of expect some kind of gameplay or infrastructure to follow suit but there is NONE.
    Last edited by sarkarin; 2019-06-17 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Clarity

10+ Year Old Account
    I had to learn the hard way as well. WoW is at its best when you take breaks from it. Don't log on everyday to do WQ and other bullshit that is not a lasting reward. Enjoy Gaming. Play some Skyrim, GTA5 or whatever you like. I promise you taking a week break from time to time is healthy. If your raiding progressively that is different but you can still take a day here and there. It actually makes the game better when your not playing it. Weird I know.

7+ Year Old Account
    PVP has never been the main focus in WoW.
    in vanilla it was its own thing, but after that it really was just a minigame to do in the game like pet battles.
    if your lookign for a pvp focused game i reccomend a moba.
    even guild wars, swtor, rift, etc all realized "oh wait pvp is not our focus... lets just maintain it"
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    PVP has never been the main focus in WoW.
    in vanilla it was its own thing, but after that it really was just a minigame to do in the game like pet battles.
    even guild wars, swtor, rift, etc all realized "oh wait pvp is not our focus... lets just maintain it"
    Warcraft 3 was built with PvP in mind and it preceded WoW by a good few years. WoW was always built with PvP in mind hence why you were able to attack each other out in the open world on a pvp server from day 1. Balance is another matter entirely.

The reason those games are failures has nothing to do with whether they focused on PvP or not what nonsensical shite are you talking.

I don't want to play a MOBA I want to play an MMORPG hence when I went to www.mmo-champion.com
    Last edited by sarkarin; 2019-06-17 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Clarity.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarkarin View Post
    Warcraft 3 was built with PvP in mind and it preceded WoW by a good few years. WoW was always built with PvP in mind hence why you were able to attack each other out in the open world on a pvp server from day 1. Balance is another matter entirely.
    warcraft and world of warcraft are very different.
    warcraft is an RTS world of warcraft is an MMO RPG.

its like complaining that pokemon snap you dont catch pokemon... its a spinoff.

the game was made with pvp in mind, it still is, with warmode making it even larger.

but it was never a main focus, PVE has always been the main focus. with pvp an additon like pet battles.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I have learned that playing it in spurts is the best thing to do.
    Funnily enough, it took me around 9 years to finally realize that myself (6 months ago).

The best advice I can give you is this.

To avoid/escape a sunk cost fallacy you have to take stock of your relationship with wow. You have to decide if the juice is worth the squeeze. There are some people who can spend hours a day picking herbs, mining ore, farming trash and for those people it is very zen and they can do it until the day they die and will probably be completely happy.

Are you one of those people or are you just trying to fit in? Are you an NPC or just desperately trying to fill their shoes?

It is possible you are one of those people but it is also possible you were were meant for something at least a little better, but you can't be both.

Wow can't simultaneously be the best and worst game at the same time...can it?

The best advice I can give you is this.

To avoid/escape a sunk cost fallacy you have to take stock of your relationship with wow. You have to decide if the juice is worth the squeeze. There are some people who can spend hours a day picking herbs, mining ore, farming trash and for those people it is very zen and they can do it until the day they die and will probably be completely happy.

Are you one of those people or are you just trying to fit in? Are you an NPC or just desperately trying to fill their shoes?

It is possible you are one of those people but it is also possible you were were meant for something at least a little better, but you can't be both.

Wow can't simultaneously be the best and worst game at the same time...can it?
    Thank you for some food for thought. I'm just a dude trying to live out his fantasies with his 'online action man' toys. I mean aren't we all? Transmog is essentially dress up dolly for adults and everyone does that.
    Last edited by sarkarin; 2019-06-17 at 07:16 PM.

People still consider MMO-C to be their own personal blog page for this sort of rants?

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    People still consider MMO-C to be their own personal blog page for this sort of rants?
    Well where else to communicate except the ole' internet forums. I think a raging shitpost is what got Ion his job as the head of WoW if memory serves. I could find it if you want.
    Last edited by sarkarin; 2019-06-17 at 07:20 PM.

If after 14 years of playing the game without realizing how much PvP was shoehorned in as an after thought originally I dont know what you expect other people to tell you differently.

But this big whiny blog post you've made doesn't have a point either. I am not sure what you expect out of PvP other than dead pixels and personal glory out of it. You didn't exactly say what you want out of it. There are rewards for doing PvP, just not sure what rewards you're expecting exactly if gear, money, currency, resources, items, titles, achievements or transmog is not what you want. Because at the highest levels of PvP people get paid with that filthy filthy e-sports monies.

You've got instanced PvP with BGs and Arenas, along with open world PvP with War Mode.

What do you want to be rewarded with?

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Welcome to the World of Warcraft where we CRAFT and there is CRAFTING done!

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma Tiger View Post
    Who is preventing you?
    Don't get me wrong I DO fight in the war. My point is you should want to fight in the war but there is no reward or incentive.

Talk for yourself. Many of us enjoy Arenas and BGs. It's one of the only reasons I'm still subbed.

You do know that PvP was a Hotfix.

PvP wasn’t added during release.

Quote Originally Posted by Sim View Post
    But this big whiny blog post you've made doesn't have a point either. I am not sure what you expect out of PvP other than dead pixels and personal glory out of it. You didn't exactly say what you want out of it. There are rewards for doing PvP, just not sure what rewards you're expecting exactly if gear, money, currency, resources, items, titles, achievements or transmog is not what you want. Because at the highest levels of PvP people get paid with that filthy filthy e-sports monies.
    What rewards should we expect? Chump change and a fucking medal that buys fuck all exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Sim View Post
    What do you want to be rewarded with?
    Gee, what would be useful in this world full of void monsters, heavily armed military and WAR everywhere? Money and medals? Nah fuck da gear mate don't need none of that nonsense. Give me more useless shite please.