Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Anti-social people

So what exactly is happening to our societies atm? I live in Canada and the towns I've lived in are all suffering the same problem. More and more people are opting out of social events and places. The bars in my current town use to all run until 12pm on a weeknight, and would consistently have a full house on weekends. Now there's only a bar and a pub here. Both are hardly open. Annual events are getting cancelled all the time now because no one shows up. The same trend is happening in the biggest city near me, as well as in my dad's city. The only events that seem to be lasting are the ones targeted towards families and even those have been drastically scaled back because instead of 100+ people showing up, in recent years it's been maybe 20.

Video games: IDK if there was ever a time in WoW's life where this was different, but no matter what you do, you can't start a conversation anywhere. All the guilds I've joined, the zone chats, group chats, unless you just say something to troll, anything you say gets ignored. I was told in a low level dungeon a few days ago to stop talking and start pulling. The best part? We had all zoned in at that moment, and I just asked how everyone was. You ask a question in a zone you see a bunch of players in, and you're lucky if you get a reply. I've had similar problems in ESO, and Warframe, the other two online games I play often.

These are just a few examples, and for the sake of everyone, I really hope these cases are just localized to me.

Why are people becoming so anti social? It's honestly depressing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Video games, rap, dnd, rock and roll, comic books, women showing their ankles, etc... No. Social Media though is the downfall of modern society

Why go to a bar when Tinder makes hooking up so much easier and stress free?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Hooking up with men is easy, both with tinder and bars. Women? Not so easy.

Yeah, I second the video games thing. Netflix too.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Honestly that's part of the issue but that app makes life easier in a remote town like mine. But it's not just about bars and hookups. Everything is basically experiencing a downturn in attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by Why Am I Here View Post
    Honestly that's part of the issue but that app makes life easier in a remote town like mine. But it's not just about bars and hookups. Everything is basically experiencing a downturn in attendance.
    It's probably also because young people don't have as much disposable income as they used to.

It's probably also because young people don't have as much disposable income as they used to.
    I could see that being a thing in cities, but I live in a very industrial town where if you're unemployed/working a low wage job, it's by choice. In this region of the province, wages are high, living is cheap. So you're right about a lot of areas, but it doesn't explain the trends for this place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well knife crime just increased in my area... and children at our local schools are being given safety measures for getting home. five years ago we never had this problem while people in power sit on their hands and never solve the issue. Would explain why people are no longer going out in my area... I need to move back to Norfolk
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Well knife crime just increased in my area... and children at our local schools are being given safety measures for getting home. five years ago we never had this problem while people in power sit on their hands and never solve the issue. Would explain why people are no longer going out in my area... I need to move back to Norfolk
    Sounds fun, the only thing that has gone up in my area lately is meth and coke usage.

10+ Year Old Account
    People are working more hours for less money, both of those things equate to people going out less.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I need to move back to Norfolk
    Not to make light of what sounds like a shitty situation; but if you weren't born there why on Earth would you move to Essex? Had its reputation not preceded it or were you just after easy women
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Not to make light of what sounds like a shitty situation; but if you weren't born there why on Earth would you move to Essex? Had its reputation not preceded it or were you just after easy women
    I was born here, I moved to Norfolk during my time at university and ended up staying there until the recession in 2007 forced me to move back here, and I been stuck here ever since
    Last edited by Orby; 2019-06-25 at 01:28 AM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Because people are dicks, and are more interested in themselves and seeing that as a reflection on everyone around them rather than taking an actual interest in anybody else who unronically don't seem to want to take any interest in back.

Having friends and dealing with people in reality is HARD, the IDEA of having friends or girlfriends is easy, movies and tv used to give people the false impression otherwise, but now that everything from movies to Santa Clause and no innocents is left.

People have become jaded, spiteful and disinterested.

It's easier to imagine fucking another person, than it is loving another person or showing other people any kind of god damn respect, or observing others personal space.

This is also equally why vapid stupid "Celebrities" one they get famous enough have to hire personal protection hide their information all in order to avoid the mutants they claim to "Love" so much that make them famous and rich.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I was born here, I moved to Norfolk during my time at university and ended up staying there until the recession in 2007 forced me to move back here, and I been stuck here ever since
    Oh. Sorry. I used to holiday in Norfolk as a very young child with my family, got some actual beaches there
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

So what exactly is happening to our societies atm? I live in Canada and the towns I've lived in are all suffering the same problem. More and more people are opting out of social events and places. The bars in my current town use to all run until 12pm on a weeknight, and would consistently have a full house on weekends. Now there's only a bar and a pub here. Both are hardly open. Annual events are getting cancelled all the time now because no one shows up. The same trend is happening in the biggest city near me, as well as in my dad's city. The only events that seem to be lasting are the ones targeted towards families and even those have been drastically scaled back because instead of 100+ people showing up, in recent years it's been maybe 20.
    It could be finances, it could be individuals having more responsibilities, it could be people actually being more social-able with family game night and going over to a friend's house for dinner parties and movie nights. Maybe it's more trendy to hook up via an app than drinking alone in a depressing bar, hoping to catch a bar fly.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds fun, the only thing that has gone up in my area lately is meth and coke usage.
    Maybe you answered your own question.

Part of it might be that people are getting their social fill from the online space. Before the Internet you had to go out, but now with Twitter and whatnot you can interact with people all over the world, so when it comes time to go out people just feel like they don't really want to.

Dunno, just a guess.

This is exactly what I mean when I talk about why we need to regulate the internet. Young people are becoming anti-social to an unhealthy degree. The bar used to be a place to meet people, potential mates even.

Now, people bring fucking ipads and earphones into a bar, sit by themselves and don’t socialize.

Fuck the internet. It has damaged us as a species.

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    People are awful, why would I put effort into trying to meet people when i'm perfectly content doing my own thing?

Movies alone, traveling alone, eating alone. When I want, what I want and how long/much I want. No one to hinder me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitters View Post
    People are awful, why would I put effort into trying to meet people when i'm perfectly content doing my own thing?

Movies alone, traveling alone, eating alone. When I want, what I want and how long/much I want. No one to hinder me.
    If that is truly how you feel and not a lie you conjured up to cope with the emtyness of your situation then something is wrong with you pal. Whatever it is both are clear signs of mental illness.