Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    We aren't killing the planet, we're only making it cringe. We're killing ourselves...the planet will recover fine.

Since the implementation of flight we've covered little over a century. In that time we've developed cellphones and microwaved burritos...so be patient eh?

It's been 100,000 some odd years since we discovered fire, 20,00 since we developed soap, and we spent a couple of millennia without writing or farming, and several centuries committing mass genocides and continental war. So...try to have some perspective.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post
    We aren't killing the planet, we're only making it cringe. We're killing ourselves...the planet will recover fine.

Since the implementation of flight we've covered little over a century. In that time we've developed cellphones and microwaved burritos...so be patient eh?

It's been 100,000 some odd years since we discovered fire, 20,00 since we developed soap, and we spent a couple of millennia without writing or farming, and several centuries committing mass genocides and continental war. So...try to have some perspective.
    The planet is more than just humans. We have already wiped out several species of animals and threaten many more. We can not physically get rid of the planet of course. But we certainly can destroy what is in it when it comes to many forms of life.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Landing men on the moon was the biggest, most expensive dick-measuring contest in the history of mankind.

But that does not mean we did not profit enormously from it at least where technology is concerned.
    I'm pretty sure I never said we didn't. Moon landing and the tech push up to it was enormously beneficial for this country, even if we hadn't landed at all.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I'm pretty sure I never said we didn't. Moon landing and the tech push up to it was enormously beneficial for this country, even if we hadn't landed at all.
    You didn't. My first paragraph implied it, that's why I added the second.

If an advanced alien species considered us such a danger that they would take clandestine measures to suppress our technological advancement, surely they would just wipe us out and be done with it?

I don't believe we'll ever leave this solar system or discover intelligent alien life. We are going to become extinct on this rock and nothing will ever know we existed.

I think it is unrealistic that they would curtail us at the planet, more likely it would be our system.

Unless they are hiding other ecosystems on other planetoids in our solar system from us with advanced technology, which to me seems wildlyx1542462 unlikely.

There are several problems with your post. First of all, it is unlikely that humanity will go extinct just because certain population is unsustainable. What will happen is population decline aka massive deaths and low life expectancy.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    A) Doesn't want to destroy us outright [...]
    Why? This whole idea is trash if you can not come up with a valid reason why they do not want to destroy us, but keep jamming.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2019-06-21 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Why? This whole idea is trash if you can not come up with a valid reason why they do not want to destroy us, but keep jamming.
    It would have to be a benevolent overseer type race that has some sort of prime directive to fit inside his idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    There are several problems with your post. First of all, it is unlikely that humanity will go extinct just because certain population is unsustainable. What will happen is population decline aka massive deaths and low life expectancy.

Second, I see no difference between this idea and the one that suggest we are living in a simulation. It could be the case.
    Not true, at the rate we're going long term. Mammalian species variations only live 1-2 million years, we're damn near half way or over half way to 1 million years. Also, longer term our home Star, "Sol or The Sun" is slowly over billions of years running out of Hydrogen and is getting larger and larger. The Earth will be completely vaporized by about 4-5 billion years from now. That is to say if our species is even able to survive 1 million years let along 1 billion. I'm not favoring the outcomes AT all for humans, we will more than likely need to be OFF of Earth and become interplanetary, interstellar, or intergalactic, in that order over time.

Back to the OP, if we are truly unable to leave Earth. Then we as a species and as everything else that has evolved over time on Earth will die and be destroyed. Granted, that doesn't mean life or complex life, or even intelligent life doesn't exist somewhere else. They may be studying us right now for all we know.

And.....Even in the LONGEST most possible amount of time like a billion, trillion, trillion years when all but the last brown dwarf stars which will be the last stars living burn out. The slow, eventual, LONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGG heat death of the universe will, and continue as is today beat on down the road and wipe everything else out.

If we survive at least 100 billion years, we more than likely need to find a way to get out of our universe at that point.... Frankly, I don't see it as probable;however, theoretically possible with some new form of physics.

So at least lets do our best right now... Hows that for starters.

As a follow up to the "if we are not allowed". By whom or what does not allow us the virtue of free will? or is it a physical or ethereal issue?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    If an advanced alien species considered us such a danger that they would take clandestine measures to suppress our technological advancement, surely they would just wipe us out and be done with it?
    Because it'd be easier if we destroy ourselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    I don't believe we'll ever leave this solar system or discover intelligent alien life. We are going to become extinct on this rock and nothing will ever know we existed.
    I agree.

Some bleak ass edgelords up in this piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post

Current perspective is "money rules."
    We'll come up with Soylent Green a lot sooner than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Because it'd be easier if we destroy ourselves.
    I think that the fact that we haven't been wiped out yet signals that they're giving us a chance to un-fuck ourselves out of our self-destructive behavior.

Of course there's the possibility that no one knows we exist yet but in my opinion that possibility is overall quite small.

We are an extremely childlike species that only brings death and war to any place we go so yeah I can fully agree we are quarantined. Someone should do an anime about this concept.

Like Aliens intentionally killing any scientist who comes up with warp drive and disinformation campaigns to say it is not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I think that the fact that we haven't been wiped out yet signals that they're giving us a chance to un-fuck ourselves out of our self-destructive behavior.
    Of course there's the possibility that no one knows we exist yet but in my opinion that possibility is overall quite small.
    Yeah, if they're giving us a chance, then that would be proof-positive they're far more intelligent than us.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirza View Post
    It would have to be a benevolent overseer type race that has some sort of prime directive to fit inside his idea.
    Putting trash Hollywood movies aside, "benevolent overseer" type of situations in history are often slavery and workforce exploitation. There is a motivation behind that kind of "overseeing"; you want a group to work for you when they do not.

Here, however, we have a civilization w/o energy problem messing with humans. If it's not rivalry, which would probably make this advanced civilization basically wipe us, it has to be some sort of experimentation/observation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well then realistically we either kill ourselves off or figure out how to overcome our oppressors with our limited resources.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post

or maybe they don't think we're worth bothering with.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Any advanced species would be able to see that the damage done to our planet was done mostly by our own actions. Why should they let us leave just so we can do it again somewhere else?
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    or maybe they don't think we're worth bothering with.
    Probably the more likely reason...