Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathanyel View Post
    And you want to give them even more validation?
    no, i want to give them despair.

Quote Originally Posted by Malikath View Post
    no, i want to give them despair.
    Then you must be against the reintroduction of resistances, right? Sorry, couldn't read that from your previous post.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    Blizzard...the destroyer of fun! T.T
    Players wanted resists and vulnerabilities to go away, blizzard delivered. New players hear about resistances and vulnerability being a thing and want them back. Only to realize how fucking stupid they are.
    I know it may be hard to imagine, but imagine that: you are in a guild that tries to progress in naxx, literally all your magi are in a fire spec. Then there is an announcement of MC/BWL raid for whatever reason. How many mages will sign into those raids? None. I mean, if there is DKP at stake - all of them, spamming frostbolt doesn't require you to respec (and there is basically no way for someone to check if you are still in deep fire, unless asked to pop arcane power or something), but general idea of not being able to do your job properly (and maybe benched because of that), because encounter simply doesn't allow you to do damage sucks, and eventually you'd be tired of that pointless mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Malikath View Post
    you must not have a point if your only fallback is crass insinuation.

also all the bitches complaining about having to respec due to resists, while ignoring the facts of raiding today where you have to play the meta-breakers to even get invited by the rank scum that populates the modern servers.
    Maybe if you're chasing world firsts or server firsts.

Past that no, and it's not even comparable to the gold sink of changing in vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Create a problem, then solve it. Applaud at the creativity.

Genius.
    yeah great carrying around 10 types of fucking scrolls for every resistance.

sounds like some loser with too much spare time who probably can't do a simple m10 but loves to talk how he needs to constantly swap enchantments for every mob then do the exact same rotation as always.

That doesnt sound like a pointless timesink, as elemental wouldn't it be sooo much fun to see a fire elemental then just spam frost shock endlessly oh yes so much fun for about 3 fucking seconds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    I mean, logically it makes sense. Why would Ragnaros or fire elementals for that matter be damaged by fire spells?
    If you block fire from oxygen it'll be extinguished, one way of removing oxygen is fire. Using explosives to push away oxygen from fire is a thing
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

WoW is not a single-player RPG game. Which means traditional RPG elements have no place in it. They haven't been a thing for like the past decade for a good reason.
    Your class usually deals only one-type of damage (or is mostly built around that) which means that something being resistant to it simply deletes you from said encounter and you can do nothing about it. This means your class as a whole becomes way less valuable in that tier/season. Which means you make a whole lot of people very unhappy.

If you want a classic RPG like experience like water elementals can't be damaged by water spells or something, there are dozens over dozens of single-player RPG's that do just that. Those games are balanced around the idea that you have to adapt yourself based on such regulations. Those provide you the tools for it.

Resistances in an MMO provide no meaningful gameplay element that you can tackle. They are binary restrictions. You either can't do anything against them, or they don't matter. That is bad game design.

Besides, the conversation has no point overall, as Classic IS coming and already HAS a release date, so I don't even know why people would be whining about this right now. You'll get your wish in a different game.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    New players hear about resistances and vulnerability being a thing and want them back. Only to realize how fucking stupid they are.
    I think this is a crucial point in those entire discussions sparking up recently.

Too many people forget or just flat out refuse to pay any weight to the argument why certain things were removed.

The reality is, if those mechanics come back, it would take them one raid night until a good chunk of them go "Oh, that's why".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    This entire mechanic didn't affect certain classes at all, made some respec and others were totally screwed by it.

Still waiting for that ghost boss that is immune against Melee damage and needs to be tanked and killed by casters, but i think Blizzard even realized that this would've gone too far even during classic.

Same as any Boss that is immune against Shadow would screw over Shadow priest, or any boss immune against holy would screw over Disc / Ret.
    To be fair, mechanics like that that screw over players are fine by themselves, but not in a game that requires you to put dozens of hours into your character. Especially in environment where "if we bring X character it'll be effective on 5/6 bosses, if we bring Y character it'll be effective on 6/6 bosses". look at class discuusions right now, where 10% difference in dps between a warlock and a mage is considered to be bench worthy by some players. Now with resistances it'll by way more than 10% difference, but somehow it's fine, because "rpg elements"?

I'm fine with fire elementals being immune to fire in DA:O, because i'm still able to use other 3 characters other than my only-fire-specced-mage (and maybe equipping a wand that deals frost damage for at least some damage), but in wow in raid environment it's just sucks

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Fire immunity boss, change school of magic by scroll or another class, do same rotation as before.
    Obviously because clicking a button once an hour or before a boss pull is "RPG friendly" and "fun" compared to not clicking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Enchanting: Scroll of Burning Ice - Deal Fire damage instead of Frost for X mins. Minor scrolls are cheap to make, but their effect disappears on death. Major scrolls are more expensive, but last through death.

- Deal Frost damage instead of Physical for X mins. Minor/major runes could work as well.

Cooking: Stew of Oppressive Shadows - Deal no Shadow damage, dealing Physical damage instead.

Damn some people are uncreative af.
    So you want to introduce a mechanic and then just make it redundant?

why introduce in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by valky94 View Post
    So you want to introduce a mechanic and then just make it redundant?

why introduce in the first place
    imagine a boss which is completely immune to all forms of damage, except 1 type, and increases the damage it does to you if youre not a specific resistance type.

imagine that this boss switches, as a mechanic, its resistance type and its dmg bonus type every 30 seconds.

a key mechanic in this fight would be bag management and using scrolls in your bag properly before youre 1 shot by the bosses aura of damage. all 20 people would end up using 50 scrolls that each cost 500g every attempt. it would be beautiful

of course this would be on top of all the dont stand in fire mechanics that are constantly on the ground, which come both from the adds(which have their own immunities), and the boss
    Last edited by apples; 2019-06-22 at 02:58 PM.

Certainly would add a nice rpg element to the game i would think.
    Sorry my firend everything remotely rpg is get removed by Ion and his goons: next to go is your level number :-(

Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    imagine a boss which is completely immune to all forms of damage, except 1 type, and increases the damage it does to you if youre not a specific resistance type.

imagine that this boss switches, as a mechanic, its resistance type and its dmg bonus type every 30 seconds.

a key mechanic in this fight would be bag management and using scrolls in your bag properly before youre 1 shot by the bosses aura of damage. all 20 people would end up using 50 scrolls that each cost 500g every attempt. it would be beautiful

of course this would be on top of all the dont stand in fire mechanics that are constantly on the ground, which come both from the adds(which have their own immunities), and the boss
    So you want a gold sink boss.

That honestly sounds awful. No one would want to bother because they would be wasting so much gold to try progressing on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    RPG elements and mechanics doesn't fit into Blizzards current design paradigm for WoW.
    Everyone has to be 100% optimized at all times.
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2019-06-22 at 03:04 PM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    RPG elements and mechanics doesn't fit into Blizzards current design paradigm for WoW.
    Everyone has to be 100% optimized at all times.
    Because players demands it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    So you want a gold sink boss.

That honestly sounds awful. No one would want to bother because they would be wasting so much gold to try progressing on it.
    it would be an unskippable 1st boss of a raid.

Quote Originally Posted by aeuhe4yxzhds View Post
    Yeah because the game is so fun right now. So many people play that blizzard is reporting sub numbers el oh el. With your logic they should just give everyone one button that does 100 damage and can be used every second. Thats it, everything needed because anything else is useless fillers that are not fun
    For a lot of people, it is fun. You need to stop acting like your opinion is fact which means everyone who plays the game agrees with you. I can assure you that is very far from the case.

Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    it would be an unskippable 1st boss of a raid.
    This is sarcasm then, right? I can't tell.

Blizzard...the destroyer of fun! T.T
    When in the ever living hell is fun about that? Almost every MMO has removed resistances from mobs at some point after their releases because its a garbage mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    "Fun" is very relative. It certainly was fun for some specs to be completely useless because boss was immune to a specific element. Or couldn't be poisoned. Or diseased.

And it's not like it made the bosses more interesting. Hydross wasn't more "fun" because nature damage didn't work. Al'ar making mages go arcane? Same thing. Or just (caster) shaman farming nature immune elementals back in vanilla. That was "destroying fun", not Blizzard.
    I don't see the problem with it coming back for retail. You can switch specs whenever you want, and adjusting strategies for different encounters is *already* a part of the game.