Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Europe has had five 500-year summers in 15 years. And now this

Another deadly heat wave has Europe in its sweaty grip this week. Record temperatures topped 100 degrees Fahrenheit (37.8 degrees Celsius) in parts of France, Germany, Poland and Spain, with hotter days to come. The same thing happened last year—record-breaking heat was responsible for 700 deaths in Sweden and more than 250 in Denmark, countries that have never needed air conditioning before this new era of climate-change-driven extreme events.

Europe’s five hottest summers in the past 500 years have all occurred in the last 15 years, not including this summer. All have been deadly. The 2003 heat wave was the worst, having led to the deaths of over 70,000 people; in 2010, 56,000 died in Russia alone.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/e...s-in-15-years/

Okay, I grew up in hot places. Here's what you do. Get a fan, strip off all the clothes you can, and keep drinking water. I suspect Europe has a lot of humidity which will limit the amount of cooling from your sweat. Here it's < 20% relative humidity.

If we replace every coal and gas power plant in the world with nuclear, every car, train, ship and truck with electric vehicles, how far will that go to reducing global warming?

That's a lot of people working in fossils fuels who will be out of a job.

How politically viable do you think reducing global warming is? Do you think such measures will pass vote in your governments?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    Okay, I grew up in hot places. Here's what you do. Get a fan, strip off all the clothes you can, and keep drinking water. I suspect Europe has a lot of humidity which will limit the amount of cooling from your sweat. Here it's < 20% relative humidity.

If we replace every coal and gas power plant in the world with nuclear, every car, train, ship and truck with electric vehicles, how far will that go to reducing global warming?

How politically viable do you think reducing global warming is? Do you think such measures will pass vote in your governments?
    Hilariously using airconditioning can help increase global warming depending on power sources

Admittedly probably not the most important factor

Beats a lot of people living on the planet having no habitable environment.

In a addition to continental Europe having much higher humidity than the Nevada desert, night time temperatures don't drop. You can't sleep, body cannot cool, the system doesn't get a break from the heat at all.
    My night time T right now in Illinois drops to 72-73 around 4am. It's at 85 now at 10am but humidity effectively raises that to a feel of 94. I'd be going crazy without AC. And there is no relief by 7pm, where in the desert, you open the window. There are no opening windows in humid climates sometimes for weeks at the time.

10+ Year Old Account

It's got no political viability because governments (especially the US) are beholden to Big Oil, despite the fact that the cost of global warming will exceed the cost of mitigating global warming.

But hey, gotta have muh qwarterly prophets.
    Putin khuliyo

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

I was stationed in Fort Irwin Ca, when I was in the Army. Would often get up to 110F+. Death Valley was just not that far from us. But when it is 90F here and with 80%+ humidity , it feels much, much worse. And I am not going to turn off my AC because some country like China is producing twice the pollution the US is.

And natural gas usage is going to increase, not decrease over the next several decades. China a few years back, signed a multi billion dollar trade deal with Russia for natural gas. So not going to happen, everyone switching over to nuclear, solar and wind power.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

over 100 of the ~115 strategies to limit warming to 2 degree involve carbon capture and the entire transport sector globally is responsible for a whopping 15% of co2 emissions so electric cars etc are the very definition of project feelgood.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Actually you can get to zero emissions by using the republican idea of cap and trade by increasing the cost of producing fossil fuels you force them to implement technologies such as carbon capture that reduce emissions. The fossil fuel industry currently has zero incentives of doing so because the cost in the US is so low in other countries they have achieved this by significantly increasing the cost to companies for pollution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    Hilariously using airconditioning can help increase global warming depending on power sources

Admittedly probably not the most important factor
    That might change if this ever moves from theory to practice on a large scale.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...n-carbon-sink/

I dont see rising temperature as a big problem (the earth is actually colder then its been most of the last 10 000 years). But it would be good with more nuclear power for a cleaner air. For me increasing levels of co2 is a minor issue, but pollution is a real threat.

Anyway, massive amount of money spent in countries that already have low pollution (and for you who cares low co2) is wasted money that money should be spent on for example converting from coal plants to nuclear (not the opposite like germany) and to high pollution countries (well we cant help countries like china they will still go their own way).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    I dont see rising temperature as a big problem (the earth is actually colder then its been most of the last 10 000 years). But it would be good with more nuclear power for a cleaner air. For me increasing levels of co2 is a minor issue, but pollution is a real threat.

Anyway, massive amount of money spent in countries that already have low pollution (and for you who cares low co2) is wasted money that money should be spent on for example converting from coal plants to nuclear (not the opposite like germany) and to high pollution countries (well we cant help countries like china they will still go their own way).
    An increase in temperature has so many negative effects, if you are honest about not seeing it i'm sure i and others can point you in the right direction of why this is a problem.

The other issue is while you are not wrong that the earth heated up before, that the earth is colder. The problem is that before there was a cycle this cycle is something we influenced now, things aren't going to be cooling down again as they were, this means the permafrost to name one important thing isn't going to go back to its needed state what has a negative impact on the us.

Make no mistake earth will survive, we simply won't survive that version of earth.

I dont see rising temperature as a big problem (the earth is actually colder then its been most of the last 10 000 years).
    Cool. Then you'll be willing to take in Middle Eastern and North African refugees when their lands are too hot to live in anymore?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Cool. Then you'll be willing to take in Middle Eastern and North African refugees when their lands are too hot to live in anymore?
    Too hot isn't really the issue, the problem is the periods of no rain that causes crops to fail that causes mass starvation. Don't worry though even the EU is paying off militant murder squads to keep people there.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont see rising temperature as a big problem (the earth is actually colder then its been most of the last 10 000 years)
    Yeah there have been fluctuations in the past, but it's about the rate of change. The amount of warming that has happened in the last 200 years would've taken much longer. For example, in the past it has taken the planet about 5,000 years to warm 5 degrees. The predicted rate of warming for the next century is at least 20 times faster.
    https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/fe...ming/page3.php

7+ Year Old Account
    Welcome to the warm weather club.

You will learn to love it!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thrathwalp View Post
    Wow thanks for telling us, it isn't like you mention it in every single fucking post you contribute.
    wow, so salty.

If Thwaites Glacier collapses, global coastlines could change forever

Thwaites Glacier is melting fast, and scientists fear its collapse could one day destabilize surrounding glaciers and eventually trigger up to 11 feet of global sea level rise.

The United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change projects between roughly 1 1/2 to 3 feet of sea level rise under a “business as usual” carbon emissions scenario, or 1 to 2 feet if we start cutting carbon immediately and dramatically.

Each scenario includes only a small amount of melting from Antarctica.

This means that cities and countries using IPCC data to build their own localized sea level rise projections are likewise only planning for a small amount of loss from West Antarctica, which might prove to be an underestimation. Vietnam, for example, where more than a quarter of the population would face inundation if the entire West Antarctic ice sheet were to collapse, uses IPCC data in its national climate report .

But the IPCC, too, serves up its estimates with an important caveat, stating that “the collapse of the marine-based sectors of the Antarctic ice sheet, if initiated, could cause [global mean sea level] to rise substantially above the likely range during the 21st century.

The city of Boston is planning for more than 3 feet of sea level rise by 2070, and between 2 and 7 feet by 2100.

In the near term, these changes will mean more frequent, coastal flooding in low-lying areas, including some of Boston’s most historic neighborhoods. The city is working with communities to develop neighborhood plans focusing on solutions like raised parks along Boston Harbor that serve both as spaces for recreation and flood barriers.

Eleven feet of sea level rise, which would come from the collapse of the entire West Antarctic ice sheet, is another story entirely.

Many low-lying coastal cities, from the US to the Netherlands to Bangladesh, are built on land partially reclaimed from the sea. In Boston, much of the current downtown didn’t exist prior to the arrival of European settlers.

“They filled in a lot of the [Boston] Harbor with horses and shovels,” Wormser said, “and they never contemplated sea level rise.”

Now, about a third of Boston is at risk of coastal flooding if sea levels rise between 2 and 8 feet higher than they are today, Wormser said. At 11 feet, much of the city would be underwater without massive, new infrastructure projects to protect it.

But even the city government isn’t sure that level of protection is possible.

“I don't have an answer for that,” Pegan said when asked if it was even feasible to protect Boston from 11 feet of sea level rise. “There are a lot of people interested in making sure that we can do this, but I can't say for sure right now.”

Boston, of course, is not alone, nor is it the most vulnerable. Pacific Island nations like Kiribati, the Marshall Islands and the Maldives would be wiped off the map if the West Antarctic ice sheet were to collapse entirely. One World Bank estimate suggests more than 90 million people in just 12 developing countries would be displaced. In the US, just half that amount of sea level rise could prompt a coastal exodus that would rival the great migration.

10+ Year Old Account
    In Seattle, we go through the full year of seasons in a month, just skipping winter... 3 weeks ago we hit 90, that was summer... then a week in high 60s, that was fall... now it’s spring, with low 60s and raining... it’s okay though... we should hit 90 next week for our summer week...

February was great... 78 and sunny one week, Snowstorm covers the whole city for next week.

I was in Europe a couple of years ago, during that year’s heat wave... I think they called it GLucifer or something... they had fields by the side of the road on fire, in Italy. I am not being hyperbolic, miles of burning grass. I still spent whole day fucking about Pompeii, until my hands looked like they doubled in size and I needed to get some water, salt and shade. Cool trip though... there was a Pokémon gym inside the Pompeii colosseum, so I have a screen grab of me winning a battle in the Pompeii colosseum... I don’t care how dorky people think it is, that’s the coolest gaming moments I’ve ever had.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Dude is here literally trying to argue people are dying because they won't drink water and sit in front of a fan.

I lived in north Michigan for a while. No houses had AC. Because they didn't need them. And the year I moved there was the year there started being 100 degree summers with droughts every summer. Things have changed.

And disingenuous bull shit about "BUT JOBS!" is bull shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Dude is here literally trying to argue people are dying because they won't drink water and sit in front of a fan.

I lived in north Michigan for a while. No houses had AC. Because they didn't need them. And the year I moved there was the year there started being 100 degree summers with droughts every summer. Things have changed.
    Yeah, a lot of older people died due to the high temperatures in New York a while back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    wow, so salty.
    Which is something you need in high temperature. When it gets hot, don’t forget the salt.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi