Page 67 of 73 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    McClung might have single handedly saved the dunk contest, it's a shame no one else was near his level. The only other dunk I liked was Martin's first, but it took him a bunch of tries to get it right.

I still feel that the dunk contest should be open to non NBA players, McClung just proved my point, he is a Gleaguer who got a 10 day, probably just for the contest. But he showed out and hopefully next year some NBA players will decide to defend their turf and actually give a shit about the contest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    McClung might have single handedly saved the dunk contest, it's a shame no one else was near his level. The only other dunk I liked was Martin's first, but it took him a bunch of tries to get it right.

I still feel that the dunk contest should be open to non NBA players, McClung just proved my point, he is a Gleaguer who got a 10 day, probably just for the contest. But he showed out and hopefully next year some NBA players will decide to defend their turf and actually give a shit about the contest.
    Read some thoughtpiece remark that basically said that we as a public dismissing the importance of ANYTHING except the playoffs has devalued both the regular season, regular season rewards and as an extension of that also the all star game, and the all star contests.

Cause with nothing mattering except the post season the super stars are super focused on the playoffs too, and try to do the minimal before that to not get hurt and spend too much energy before it matters. Actually trying in the all star game and playing defense is counter to that goal, so no one tries or cares anymore.

And it's an attention thing too. Superstars in basketball are SUPER savvy with their knowledge about what best builds their brand and makes or breaks attention for them. They know interest in the playoffs and playing well there matters many times more than risk blowing out your knee while trying some technically challenging dunk at the ASG.

And so the ASG is going the way of the Probowl in the NFL, largely turning into a joke that no one cares about and doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Read some thoughtpiece remark that basically said that we as a public dismissing the importance of ANYTHING except the playoffs has devalued both the regular season, regular season rewards and as an extension of that also the all star game, and the all star contests.

Cause with nothing mattering except the post season the super stars are super focused on the playoffs too, and try to do the minimal before that to not get hurt and spend too much energy before it matters. Actually trying in the all star game and playing defense is counter to that goal, so no one tries or cares anymore.

And it's an attention thing too. Superstars in basketball are SUPER savvy with their knowledge about what best builds their brand and makes or breaks attention for them. They know interest in the playoffs and playing well there matters many times more than risk blowing out your knee while trying some technically challenging dunk at the ASG.

And so the ASG is going the way of the Probowl in the NFL, largely turning into a joke that no one cares about and doesn't matter.
    Agreed, NBA needs to rework the Allstars weekend, or at least the skills, dunk, and 3pt contest. The ASG itself being a popularity contest is going to lend itself to not being important. You also have the consideration that many of the guys would rather be on vacation for the break.

It's funny that I don't watch college ball because it's essentially 3 or 4 ymca players busting their ass while 1 or 2 guys who might have a chance at the NBA are doing their best to not got injured. Now the regular season is getting that way a bit, granted I think the lack of competitiveness between teams is a contributor.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    Clippers signing Westbrook. Guess they want to get worse. Westbrook shoots worse on free throws than Jokic on 2s from the field.

Russell Westbrook is really a story of how the eye test fails in the NBA. Westbrook shoots 29% from three - that means that when the average NBA player takes 20 3s, they make 7, and Russell makes 6. Not something that's incredibly obvious to the eye. But replacing someone with Westbrook's efficiency with someone with Deangelo's efficiency at the same volume will add about 1.4 points per game to the Lakers. Doesn't sound like much, but that would raise them from net negative to net positive, and their expected record would be 30-29 instead of 27-32.
    Westbrook is a good player, but he is the system. He has proven himself unable to adjust to other systems where he isn't the center of the universe. He sort of worked with Harden, but Harden was playing the Durant role which Westbrook is used to. Washington worked because Beal played off of Westbrook. But Lakers were never going to work because he is essentially 4 down the order to LeBron, AD, and then a shooter kick out. I can't see it working for the Clippers unless George and Kawhi want to play off Westbrook. Which honestly I suppose it possible because they both have big number 2 energy.

15+ Year Old Account
    He's talented, but he's not good.
    Get him and Ben Simmons on the same team for a night of recreational frustration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    Get him and Ben Simmons on the same team for a night of recreational frustration.
    Russ and Ben Simmons would go perfectly together. One is afraid to even look like they are shooting and the other shoots like he's the only one on the team. Both would be very happy in this situation. xD

15+ Year Old Account
    Russ and Ben Simmons would go perfectly together. One is afraid to even look like they are shooting and the other shoots like he's the only one on the team. Both would be very happy in this situation. xD
    I meant for fans
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Celtics beat the Sixers in an incredibly entertaining game.

Hard to argue with the results, and it's an obvious result of being a very deep team and not being able to play everybody, but you kind of wonder if more Derrick White in the final 6 min would have made this game less close than it became. He's been incredible this season. But who do you pull? I can't really say I'd definitively rather have Derrick over Horford or Robert Williams or Smart. It just depends on the game I guess. This game I would have rather seen White on the floor to close.

But again, hard to argue with the results. lol

10+ Year Old Account
    but also seems like any one of 25 different teams could win it if they get hot.
    I don't follow CBB much until the Big 10 tournament starts unless Michigan is doing particularly well, but I feel this statement is true for the NBA right now too, especially in the West.

Between the Celtics and Jayson Tatum having come out of the ASB flat, the Bucks having constant injury concerns, The Sixers being hot and cold on a given night, the Cavs being young and unexperienced, The Nets being a total wild card, the Knicks being the Knicks, the Heat being one of those teams you never count out until they are eliminated, The Hawks maybe getting that fresh coach boost and the Raptors being a tough out any day but especially since they traded for Poetl, I feel like even in the East there's plenty of room for a team to get hot right now in the coming weeks and going through the playoffs on a cinderella run.

And again, the West is even worse where it's the Nuggets and then 10 teams that could potentially get hot and make a run at the right time. The only team that's usually in that conversation but I would ignore now is the Lakers with LeBron probably sidelined long term and not enough time in the season for the Lakers to turn it around without him. Then again, he is a prime candidate for the Ewing Theory too where the Lakers might just play more free and unconcerned and FASTER than with LeBron.

We'll see. It might turn out boring in the end if no teams get hot, but then the same can be said about Kansas if they win it all and go back to back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alabama is good at basketball, it's weird. Meanwhile Utah's got a player from there in Collin Sexton.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ja Morant is quickly turning out to be one of the bigger idiots in the NBA.

I don't know if it's stress from losing lately or just general dumbness, but he's been acting out a TON, and he just went too far flexing a gun on Insta Live while in a club.

I suspect the NBA is going to come down on him like a ton of bricks.

Ja Morant is quickly turning out to be one of the bigger idiots in the NBA.

I don't know if it's stress from losing lately or just general dumbness, but he's been acting out a TON, and he just went too far flexing a gun on Insta Live while in a club.

I suspect the NBA is going to come down on him like a ton of bricks.
    I enjoy the 8Mile copy pasta because it fits him to a tee.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't want to hear the words "Grant Williams" and "Free Throws" together the rest of the season. Thank you for your cooperation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Free Williams, Grant Throws.

Two shots for Harden.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no expectations for the rest of the season. It's pretty clear that Utah is in full on tank now. Gave some of the promising players a chance to shine out. If you wanna know how bad it's gotten, Utah started Simone Fontecchio today. Don't know who that is? Well, let's keep it that way. That said, a lot of hopes for some of our current players as Danny Ainge looks to compete next season.

Walker Kessler (rookie) - Rudy Gobert but more athletic. Dude loves posting up and making layups. Blocks everything. Fifth in blocks per game, though I can't ever find flat amount of blocks stats. Probably near the top, even though he wasn't starting like half the season. Is shooting 50% from three. Ok, so he's only shot two of them, but hey, he made one.

Lauri Markkanen - Ok, I'm guessing everyone knows about him. All star. Shoots from anywhere. Big, strong. One of the most efficient scorers at 65.5% true shooting percentage, and 51/41/87 splits. Maybe not the best ball handler though. I think that's the one spot he has the most room to improve.

Ochai Agbaji (rookie) - Inconsistent. But a solid defender especially despite his size. Good shooter. Needs more time to really judge, but he has a lot of upside.

Jordan Clarkson - A lot of divisiveness on Clarkson. But I loove the way he creates shots. And he doesn't have to try to be a "true point guard", as much as Utah needs one badly. He's just gotta play a lot smarter, and know when to dish it out. And he's gotta work on not being so streaky.

Kris Dunn - Don't know why this guy has moved around the league so much. He plays hard, has long arms and plays defense well. Is a bit of a risk taker, but it works well especially off the bench. Not the most consistent scorer, but he's coming off the bench fresh.

Talen Horton-Tucker - People might forget how young he still is despite feeling like he's been in the league a few years. He's solid on defense, drives hard, pretty good passer. Just needs to work on jump shots. Because if he's getting points now when everyone knows he's looking to drive, imagine how many he can put up when they have to play both sides.

Everyone else I can give or take (people like Collin Sexton, but he's been injured so long I kind of forgot how to think). If you ever wondered where that reload is for Utah, well, there it is.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2023-03-08 at 09:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I have no expectations for the rest of the season. It's pretty clear that Utah is in full on tank now. Gave some of the promising players a chance to shine out. If you wanna know how bad it's gotten, Utah started Simone Fontecchio today. Don't know who that is? Well, let's keep it that way. That said, a lot of hopes for some of our current players as Danny Ainge looks to compete next season.

Walker Kessler (rookie) - Rudy Gobert but more athletic. Dude loves posting up and making layups. Blocks everything. Fifth in blocks per game, though I can't ever find flat amount of blocks stats. Probably near the top, even though he wasn't starting like half the season. Is shooting 50% from three. Ok, so he's only shot two of them, but hey, he made one.

Lauri Markkanen - Ok, I'm guessing everyone knows about him. All star. Shoots from anywhere. Big, strong. One of the most efficient scorers at 65.5% true shooting percentage, and 51/41/87 splits. Maybe not the best ball handler though. I think that's the one spot he has the most room to improve.

Ochai Agbaji (rookie) - Inconsistent. But a solid defender especially despite his size. Good shooter. Needs more time to really judge, but he has a lot of upside.

Jordan Clarkson - A lot of divisiveness on Clarkson. But I loove the way he creates shots. And he doesn't have to try to be a "true point guard", as much as Utah needs one badly. He's just gotta play a lot smarter, and know when to dish it out. And he's gotta work on not being so streaky.

Kris Dunn - Don't know why this guy has moved around the league so much. He plays hard, has long arms and plays defense well. Is a bit of a risk taker, but it works well especially off the bench. Not the most consistent scorer, but he's coming off the bench fresh.

Talen Horton-Tucker - People might forget how young he still is despite feeling like he's been in the league a few years. He's solid on defense, drives hard, pretty good passer. Just needs to work on jump shots. Because if he's getting points now when everyone knows he's looking to drive, imagine how many he can put up when they have to play both sides.

Everyone else I can give or take (people like Collin Sexton, but he's been injured so long I kind of forgot how to think). If you ever wondered where that reload is for Utah, well, there it is.
    I'll just say "don't get too attached to anyone", with Ainge running things. You are 1 year into the rebuild, and a lot more players will be moved and drafted. If anything, get prepared to get attached to the draft picks, cause they will likely be good players.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1633653623543459840

"According to the Pierce (Wash.) Corrections Inmate listings, six-time NBA All-Star Shawn Kemp -- a legendary member of the Seattle Sonics -- has been booked in an alleged drive-by shooting."

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post

"According to the Pierce (Wash.) Corrections Inmate listings, six-time NBA All-Star Shawn Kemp -- a legendary member of the Seattle Sonics -- has been booked in an alleged drive-by shooting."
    I really hope this isn't true or there is a bunch more to the story. Man is 50 something years old.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man, I think the Suns are just cursed. Durant slipped on the court pre-game during warmups. Possible Grade 2 ankle sprain that would knock him out the rest of the season.

Have fun getting back in the playoffs and playing with your team for basically the first time all season.

Tough situation.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post

Luckily... or should I say more news has come out. Kemp was riding with someone else tracking his stolen phone after a string of break ins of his vehicle. When he approached the location (mall parkinglot) of his phone, someone opened fire on him and he "returned fire". He has been released with no charges currently, I don't know how long that will stand because... well he fired at someone from a car in self defense, but it was probably lucky he didn't hit anyone.
    I'm a bit of a proponent for 2A and safe weapon handling and shooting at someone from a car, even in self defense, is stupid and not responsible gun handling.
    Again I don't know the specifics, my opinion would be different if Kemp didn't have much of an easy escape in the car.

Regardless glad it wasn't as bad as an actual drive by shooting.

- - - Updated - - -

My man DJMeechyMeech put the Ja meme into video format for easy viewing.