Page 1 of 3
LastLast

If your SO broke laws, would you support them?

I've known some couples to do milder things like smoke weed together, but if your SO did something more severe, like stalk somebody, harass them, threaten their life, or try to hurt them, would you support them?

I've met some people that would put up with major problems, but then oddly enough end up dumping their SO for milder reasons, and I find that women will put up with way too much just to keep a relationship and the illusion that their SO isn't a bad person or that they wouldn't do anything like that.

Depending on the circumstances, I've seen people say that sometimes they'd be okay with doing bad things to others as long as it was for a good reason, even when it was pointed out how there's never a good reason. I know that when couples do these things together that they're more likely to be tight-knit, but I know that's likely not true for most couples, and not everyone shares the same idea of what's okay and not okay, so what would you all do if you found out that your SO did something horrible? Would you support them, depending on what it was, or would you disapprove and choose not to enable them no matter what?
    "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen."

I'm not going to stick with a stalker or an abuser.

It's never so cut and dry as B&W. If you are in a relationship with someone, you have an emotional investment with that person; thus making it harder to believe that they'd do something bad.

But it also depends on morals of each person involved. It's kinda tragic that someone can stay emotionally involved with someone who commits a heinous crime such as abuse or stalker; but would dump them if they were a drug addict. I guess the thinking is, "OK, SO is charged with abusing so and so, we can move past this as long as he or she doesn't do anything else after release." But Drugs? "Yikes, my SO is addicted to drugs? That's scary, I don't want to be involved with him or her in case SO ends up ODing on drugs or causing other people to OD on drugs. Better get out ASAP." Although, you would think they'd try to get the drug addict help first. But, I dunno. Different people handle things differently.

So I couldn't really say what I'd do in such situations since I am currently not romantically involved with anyone.

There was a woman that was going through an intensely nasty streak of jealousy over a guy that dumped her after a month of dating.

My wife was friends with her.

So, when this woman got dumped, she lost her mind. She started doing illegal shit because she was so angry at him. Thing is, none if it affected him, she was hurting other people.

My wife got in on on the "fun" and I warned her, "You keep this shit up you're going to jail and I am not going to bail you out. I've warned you way too many times. Stop."

Fortunately, she did. I can't write about it here.

It was serious vandalism, hardcore.

Stole a stick of gum? OFF TO THE GULAGS WITH THEM!!!

Depends on what law it is.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on what degree you mean by support. Since I love my wife, her doing something stupid like those would not stop that love for her. However, I would not condone it, lie for her or defend her actions. But it is not anything I have to be concerned about.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ewwe View Post
    but if your SO did something more severe, like stalk somebody, harass them, threaten their life, or try to hurt them, would you support them?

I wear the pants in the family. If she's stalking, I'll put a stop to it.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I am a survivor which means that I stick up for no one and throw other people to the wolves in order to save myself at first possible opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    I wear the pants in the family. If she's stalking, I'll put a stop to it.
    Yeah ok. Some of your posts are fucking ridiculous lol.

7+ Year Old Account
    A lot of states still have sodomy laws on the books. Depends on how freaky your SO is could be problematic

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I am a survivor which means that I stick up for no one and throw other people to the wolves in order to save myself at first possible opportunity.
    So cold! This is not the Draenei way...

Depends entirely on what law for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedrielle View Post
    So cold! This is not the Draenei way...
    Cold keeps me from being someone's bitch in prison, I'm not getting implicated in a crime involving a partner that was committing major felonies behind my back.

10+ Year Old Account
    If my partner was gang gang and didn't include me I'll be very disappointed. I'm with the shits too!

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Cold keeps me from being someone's bitch in prison, I'm not getting implicated in a crime involving a partner that was committing major felonies behind my back.
    What if the partner hid 20m in offshore account for you two to retire on after the sentence?

Quote Originally Posted by Aedrielle View Post
    What if the partner hid 20m in offshore account for you two to retire on after the sentence?
    If they're stupid enough to get caught then they're probably stupid enough to have the IRS/FBI find that offshore account, so my answer is the same lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends. On a lot of things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fuck no.

10nopes
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeps View Post
    There was a woman that was going through an intensely nasty streak of jealousy over a guy that dumped her after a month of dating.

My wife was friends with her.

So, when this woman got dumped, she lost her mind. She started doing illegal shit because she was so angry at him. Thing is, none if it affected him, she was hurting other people.

My wife got in on on the "fun" and I warned her, "You keep this shit up you're going to jail and I am not going to bail you out. I've warned you way too many times. Stop."

Fortunately, she did. I can't write about it here.

It was serious vandalism, hardcore.
    I'm honestly not sure how someone else could get that attached to another person, it strikes me as being different to someone who's just naive and wide-eyed, and jumps too impulsively into a relationship with someone they barely know. Usually the latter can smarten up over time. It's not like there isn't the fair share of people that are so overly romantic that they fall into the teenage trap of "love at first sight". I would honestly rather be alone, personally, than make myself look bad by trying to chase after someone who doesn't want me. There are literally way too many people on this planet for anyone one person to be the only option for anyone.

In that scenario I probably would have just stayed out of it altogether. I don't trust stories that I wasn't initially there for. At least your wife respected you enough to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    It's never so cut and dry as B&W. If you are in a relationship with someone, you have an emotional investment with that person; thus making it harder to believe that they'd do something bad.

But it also depends on morals of each person involved. It's kinda tragic that someone can stay emotionally involved with someone who commits a heinous crime such as abuse or stalker; but would dump them if they were a drug addict. I guess the thinking is, "OK, SO is charged with abusing so and so, we can move past this as long as he or she doesn't do anything else after release." But Drugs? "Yikes, my SO is addicted to drugs? That's scary, I don't want to be involved with him or her in case SO ends up ODing on drugs or causing other people to OD on drugs. Better get out ASAP." Although, you would think they'd try to get the drug addict help first. But, I dunno. Different people handle things differently.

So I couldn't really say what I'd do in such situations since I am currently not romantically involved with anyone.
    Well, yeah. It's easier to be objective when they're doing something that you can see yourself and know they're doing, especially if it's something you know they're doing to themselves. With drug abuse it's easier to give them the benefit of the doubt, though, and hope that they'll stop. A lot of people are more tolerant of drug usage than they are of actually selling drugs, though. With a drug user I've seen people try to be supportive and at least try to get them to stop doing drugs first, before deciding to actually cut ties. With a crime more severe like murder, if the SO didn't see any of it happen they tend to go into denial and refuse to believe their partner could do anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    I'm not going to stick with a stalker or an abuser.
    ... But you would if they did something worse than that?

Yes of course. Me and you vs the world, baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Stole a stick of gum? OFF TO THE GULAGS WITH THEM!!!
    Bahaha! People have probably been burned alive for less in times passed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    A lot of states still have sodomy laws on the books. Depends on how freaky your SO is could be problematic
    Well, there are a lot of stupid laws to begin with. I'm pretty sure people could probably be forgiven for going in the backdoor. Or, you know, they could move. Problem solved.