Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What went wrong with Nickelodeon?

IMO, Nickelodeon has been lagging behind Cartoon Network and Disney Channel in terms of quality content this whole decade. CN has/had Adventure Time, Regular Show, Steven Universe, and Gumball. DC has/had Star vs, Gravity Falls, and the new Ducktales. What has Nick had to offer besides The Loud House? Fanboy and Chum Chum, Sanjay and Craig, Breadwinners, and the corpse of Spongebob.

And the few good shows they DID have (Legend of Korra, Harvey Beaks and Welcome to the Wayne) were screwed over because they didn't do Spongebob-level ratings.

The future doesn't look too good either. While CN and DC have upcoming shows that look promising like Mao Mao, Infinity Train, and Owl House, Nickelodeon is making Spongebob and Loud House spinoffs.

So, I have to ask: What went wrong with Nickelodeon?

I miss David the Gnome, myself.

Network concentrating on new products directed to small children is unappealing to person on the internet outside of the target demographic. News at 11.

10+ Year Old Account
    People ask this question a lot, sometimes it's about Disney or Warner Brothers or Hanna Barbara.

The answer is nothing went wrong, these were always enterprises created to make money, but peoples needs change, and children grow up and there is a very finite window from which to make an impact on children as a demographic before they disappear. Typically by the time they are tweens then they are rushing to be Adults with training wheels
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

eh. most of the things you mention as being "good" from cartoon network are shitty cal-arts abominations. literally only steven universe is worth a damn out of the whole list.

nick at least runs reruns of old shit, like ren and stimpy, old spongebob, old fairly oddparents, etc.

though i guess CN's doing something similar with boomerang. too bad my fucking cable package doesn't include it.

- - - Updated - - -

also, the loud house is pretty great. breadwinners is actually pretty funny, but i don't think it has any new episodes.

one thing nick did do that pissed me off was drop robot and monster, and mysticons. robot and monster was one of the best shows i've seen in a long time, really good overall sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    You and me both. As a kid I found it to be calming.
    Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I support the other side.

America has shit cartoons. They are all garbage.

Always enjoyed this show. Was thining of seeing if I could find a copy recently, then realized it probably wouldn't be too engaging, and decided to go read up on Secret of NiMH instead.

I see you're a gentlemoose of culture as well.

Didn't the Blues Clues guy molest a lot of kids? And one of the producers had the weirdest foot fetish involving kids.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    Didn't the Blues Clues guy molest a lot of kids? And one of the producers had the weirdest foot fetish involving kids.
    last i heard about blues clues guy was that he became a rapper...

and yes, dan schneider is an obvious pedophile, but nobody will dare to come out about it for some reason. maybe he was just sneaky enough to get away with collecting feet pics, and he never actually touched any of the kids. i hope that's all it is.
    Last edited by derpkitteh; 2019-06-25 at 04:44 AM.

It's hard to come up with creative ideas that people like. The well runs dry. Creating things is more like discovery than actually creating. A lot of times you just run out of good ideas. Nothing lasts forever. Good bands run out of good music to write, writers run out of good stories.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I’ve yet to see any cartoons of value past 2008 with the last air bender being the last actually good show.

As someone who babysits their 3 year old nephew, Pete the Cat is all right. That's about it.

Cartoon Network died 10 years ago and atm there is no cartoon program worth watching. R.I.P. Edd Edd n Eddy,Johnny Bravo,Dexter's Laboratory,Flintstones,Jetsons,Kramp Twins,Samurai Jack etc etc etc.
    Now they dumbed down cartoons to puppets or lower quality designs.
    Shame because cartoons is where i learned english and i aced in school english just from watching cartoons.Now CN is dubbed into your native language and shitty cartoons.

But i guess now we got internet all over so its easy to search for the old programs you want over YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    eh. most of the things you mention as being "good" from cartoon network are shitty cal-arts abominations. literally only steven universe is worth a damn out of the whole list.

nick at least runs reruns of old shit, like ren and stimpy, old spongebob, old fairly oddparents, etc.

though i guess CN's doing something similar with boomerang. too bad my fucking cable package doesn't include it.

- - - Updated - - -

also, the loud house is pretty great. breadwinners is actually pretty funny, but i don't think it has any new episodes.

one thing nick did do that pissed me off was drop robot and monster, and mysticons. robot and monster was one of the best shows i've seen in a long time, really good overall sense of humor.
    If you think gravity falls is not worth a damn, you either have a HORRIBLE taste in american animation...or...no just that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    If you think gravity falls is not worth a damn, you either have a HORRIBLE taste in american animation...or...no just that.
    i meant from cartoon network specifically, gravity falls was pretty good.

I'm a numbers guy, I need proof ratings are down so I went to look and came across this article.

Not that Caleb knows from cable. After all, he’s 7 years old. But Caleb rarely if ever watches conventional television. “Everything is Netflix,” said his mother, Ally Brown, an insurance agent in the St. Louis area who also has a 5-year-old and a baby on the way.
    Which makes sense, everyone (adults) uses Netflix so of course that would be reflected in kids viewership as well. If adults are "cutting the cord" then kids have no choice but to follow suit.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    I'm a numbers guy, I need proof ratings are down so I went to look and came across this article.

Which makes sense, everyone (adults) uses Netflix so of course that would be reflected in kids viewership as well. If adults are "cutting the cord" then kids have no choice but to follow suit.
    In my experience, even given the choice...kids will choose netflix over cable 9 times out of 10. Instant gratification, no ads, can stream an entire season of paw patrol or some shit in a single sitting.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    America has shit cartoons. They are all garbage.
    I was about to say the same thing, but you beat me to it.