Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Also I wonder how much progress on the VA, could have been made with all that Trump money wasted on marlago trips that went right into his pocket?
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    Inside the dream. But who is the dreamer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Also I wonder how much progress on the VA, could have been made with all that Trump money wasted on marlago trips that went right into his pocket?
    I would guess "a whole fuckin' lot," but I'm no financial expert.

Also why do some people immediately jump to absolutely ridiculous places like buying everyone "their own mansion with a swimming pool with a pet unicorn that shits rainbows" when someone dares to suggest that people shouldn't have to worry about going bankrupt when they get sick?

That's a rhetorical question, btw. I know the answer. That doesn't mean I'm not still bothered by it though.
    Link to image.

I don't need you to respect me, I respect me. I don't need you to love me, I love me. But I want you to know you could know me if you change your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    We have 12 million illegal immigrants and those are the ones who feel secure enough to admit it to the government.

Right now, if they're hurt or really sick, they go to the emergency room which is really expensive but will treat them for free if they can't pay.

I think if we were business people and ran it like a business we'd insure them to cover such expenses and they could go to a cheaper doctor instead of the emergency room.
    "to admit it to the government"

I guess you don't realize much of this works on estimations

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    Why not? Do we want sick and dying people? But we're talking about Mexico here, and we need Mexico to raise their standards of living so people there don't run to America to get simple medical attention. We need to stop looking at this as US vs them. Mexico needs help and we need to go there and do what we can to make beneficial changes.
    I don't know why you're talking about Mexico... it is primarily Honduras, Guatemala, and El Salvador.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvalen View Post
    I would guess "a whole fuckin' lot," but I'm no financial expert.

Also why do some people immediately jump to absolutely ridiculous places like buying everyone "their own mansion with a swimming pool with a pet unicorn that shits rainbows" when someone dares to suggest that people shouldn't have to worry about going bankrupt when they get sick?

That's a rhetorical question, btw. I know the answer. That doesn't mean I'm not still bothered by it though.
    It's to show how ridiculous is argument is chief. We can't even take care of our own homeless and people like you want to import them.

You would be like one of those pet owners who can't afford their pet so they never take them to the vet but yet keep going to the shelter to get more pets!

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    You would be like one of those pet owners who can't afford their pet so they never take them to the vet but yet keep going to the shelter to get more pets!
    It isn’t quite like that, American can afford the pets they just don’t want to pay for them when they can spend the money on other things like a fancy new car.

Making a pet analogy when discussing illegal immigration isn't a good look.

It's just votes Guys! We have all the money in the world as long as we have votes! With enough votes, the government can buy everyone their own mansion with a swimming pool with a pet unicorn that shits rainbows!
    There's enough money for all of these healthcare things. But they go towards new aircraft carriers, bombs and military contracts, saving the rust belt farmers from Trump's stupid decisions and whatever else the lobby (to be read: legalized bribery) wants. It's not a matter of resources, your political class doesn't want to fix these issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Great, make them legal. Your problems are solved.
    It's pretty telling how they immediately kneejerk an angry retort when you make a suggestion that we legalize their residency. Makes it super clear their issue isn't the legality of their presence. Just their presence, period, legal or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's pretty telling how they immediately kneejerk an angry retort when you make a suggestion that we legalize their residency. Makes it super clear their issue isn't the legality of their presence. Just their presence, period, legal or not.

Give them 4 year work visas, and a 4 year family visa. If we don't want them at the end of 4 years, they leave.

A lot of them come to America, work, and return home, buying huge houses, cars, and large tracts of land. Cost of living is a lot lower back home.

It's silly to let over 12 million illegal immigrants to break the law, staying in the country and working. We should make them legal with visas.

After the program is up and working, we jail illegals, people who refused to get work visas.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Got a source on this?
    https://www.npr.org/2019/06/18/73361...rican-migrants

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Of course, it's the easiest argument against when people say they are for LEGAL immigration. It shows how much they don't actually mean it,a nd want to try and hide behind authoritarianism to justify their xenophobia and/or racism.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    Give them 4 year work visas, and a 4 year family visa. If we don't want them at the end of 4 years, they leave.

A lot of them come to America, work, and return home, buying huge houses, cars, and large tracts of land. Cost of living is a lot lower back home.

It's silly to let over 12 million illegal immigrants to break the law, staying in the country and working. We should make them legal with visas.

After the program is up and working, we jail illegals, people who refused to get work visas.
    So, your problem is once again with capitalism and freedom? Your username is quite ironic.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Interesting, thanks for the link.

1) Those that are undocumented and working would probably be paying into it already
    2) Making sure they can get the healthcare they need is cheaper in the long run than denying coverage
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I mean, if we can't turn anyone away and have to resettle anyone who wants to, then yeah. Given that the default position of the Dems today is Open Borders in all but name, you are promising the entire world something.
    This is a slippery slope fallacy and you know that.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

So if I sneak across the border to Canada, they'll give me free healthcare and take care of all my expensive medical issues before sending me home right?

Illegal comes to hospital. Has tests ran. Hospital sends tests to lab to perform. Lab performs tests and sends results back to hospital doctor. Doctor gives patient the results. Patient is happy.

Hospital put the tests into the lab as Patient bill due to there not being any insurance or shitty insurance such as Obamacare. Obamacare won't cover hardly any tests. And when they do - they cover a super small percentage. The rest of the bill gets sent to patient. The hospital is not going to foot the bill - even though they know how much a lab charges for a test and that the insurance won't cover the whole thing. The lab sends bills to patient. The patient has no SSN. So technically this person can keep doing this forever with no problem. The lab has to eat the cost of reagents and tech hourly wage along with pathologist salary.

Free healthcare sounds great. But expecting people in healthcare to give up their time for free is not ok. I work in a lab and I see this firsthand. When people don't pay for their healthcare and don't have insurance - the lab has to eat the cost. Not the hospital. Not the person. Not the government. It has nothing to do with taxes or who is president. Free healthcare for all is not going to pay the full amount of testing that the average person thinks it will. You will see smaller labs closing or just stop performing high cost tests. Leading to only large labs like neogenomics surviving. Which means higher turnaround times for getting tests performed. Which means all patients across the board suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Martymark View Post
    So if I sneak across the border to Canada, they'll give me free healthcare and take care of all my expensive medical issues before sending me home right?
    Correct, that's what Sarah Palin's parents did when she was sick as a child.
    Last edited by Hobb; 2019-06-28 at 05:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would this question be easier to answer if framed as providing the same free healthcare that prisoners get? Is free healthcare in prison, an incentive to commit crime?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Martymark View Post
    Even better... break into a game stop... steal a bunch of games, then wait for cops to pick you up. Free healthcare and a bunch of free games...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hobb View Post
    Correct, that's what Sarah Palin's parents didn't when she was sick as a child.
    It’s what my uncle got on a vacation in Italy. Got super sick and free healthcare. Same thing we got in Italy and Austria during immigration. We were refugees, but not even staying.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Making a pet analogy when discussing illegal immigration isn't a good look.
    Yes it is, if you can't figure out you shouldn't take on the burden to support more things when you can support the things you already, well.. I pretty much expect that from you.

Yes it is, if you can't figure out you shouldn't take on the burden to support more things when you can support the things you already, well.. I pretty much expect that from you.
    I mean, you could have made the comparison with children rather than pets and it would have made just as much sense. You know, without comparing people to pets.