Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Probably Reggae.

10+ Year Old Account
    lot of people telling on themselves with these rap comments. Anyway I haven't found a genre yet I can't at least get something out of, but country probably comes closest.

To me, Black metal, without a doubt.

Any english song where the chorus is in Spanish

Wouldn't necessarily point directly to a genre, because all genres have some music that falls into this category that I tend to dislike (some a lot more than others): music that lacks a point or is not a form of expression to some degree. That may seem vague, so I can give an example. Rap music falls heavily into this category as of late, where you get quite a few artists making songs about situations or troubles that they have no experience with or sound like they just watched the news as source material for their song... partly why a lot of the music has turned into lyrical trash. Another scenario is when a performer uses someone else's lyrics, and you can tell from how they express said lyrics in their music that someone else wrote the song and has little connection with the performing artist, which happens a decent amount in current pop music. Heck, I think there are TV shows based around this concept, but it's also a product of the music industry in general.

In general, I tend to find the better music comes from the start of genres, as the driving force tends to be authenticity that gives rise to its popularity. Once something becomes popularized, everyone and their mother begins to copy and emulate with little/no innovation to the point where people become sick of it due to constant exposure to mediocre rip-offs with little authenticity. This is also why my music collection has almost no music that you'd hear on the radio repeated non-stop on popular current music channels. Actually, most of my music collection with performers/bands people would recognize by name are from between the 1950's and 1990's as the latest, anything newer is likely music done by groups mainstream people have never heard of or just orchestral soundtracks. Looking at my most recent music purchases, it's basically all orchestral soundtracks to movies/shows.

Slight aside, my guilty pleasure in music is something that tells a story with the lyrics throughout the entire song. Again, this needs to fall into authentic category to have some impact. If someone born/raised in the Upper East Side of NYC is singing about life struggles in the slums, I'm not buying it.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

10+ Year Old Account
    If it’s on mainstream radio it’s gonna get a hard pass from me.
    “The best way to win an argument is to begin by being right.” -Jill Ruckelshaus

Reggae, mostly. The most boring form of music I've ever heard. Modern pop music is right up there, though. Absolutely dreadful music.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    Mumble (c)rap.
    This by far.

For everything else that is commonly hated I can find a reason as to why it works or why some people could like it or at least recognize the effort put into it. For mumble (c)rap I just can't, there's just nothing behind it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    Wouldn't necessarily point directly to a genre, because all genres have some music that falls into this category that I tend to dislike (some a lot more than others): music that lacks a point or is not a form of expression to some degree. That may seem vague, so I can give an example. Rap music falls heavily into this category as of late, where you get quite a few artists making songs about situations or troubles that they have no experience with or sound like they just watched the news as source material for their song... partly why a lot of the music has turned into lyrical trash. Another scenario is when a performer uses someone else's lyrics, and you can tell from how they express said lyrics in their music that someone else wrote the song and has little connection with the performing artist, which happens a decent amount in current pop music. Heck, I think there are TV shows based around this concept, but it's also a product of the music industry in general.

In general, I tend to find the better music comes from the start of genres, as the driving force tends to be authenticity that gives rise to its popularity. Once something becomes popularized, everyone and their mother begins to copy and emulate with little/no innovation to the point where people become sick of it due to constant exposure to mediocre rip-offs with little authenticity. This is also why my music collection has almost no music that you'd hear on the radio repeated non-stop on popular current music channels. Actually, most of my music collection with performers/bands people would recognize by name are from between the 1950's and 1990's as the latest, anything newer is likely music done by groups mainstream people have never heard of or just orchestral soundtracks. Looking at my most recent music purchases, it's basically all orchestral soundtracks to movies/shows.

Slight aside, my guilty pleasure in music is something that tells a story with the lyrics throughout the entire song. Again, this needs to fall into authentic category to have some impact. If someone born/raised in the Upper East Side of NYC is singing about life struggles in the slums, I'm not buying it.
    I understand your point, but that requires like... extensive research. Otherwise if it's just based on random assumptions and that's even worse than what you hate IMO lol.

Do you really research artists to make sure they write everything and that what they talk about is legit experience they went through? And by that I don't mean jsut research the artist but also do this entire process for every song, because a lot of artist would have a bunch of songs that fall into the category of stuff you like but also have some that were written for them by someone else, if they are good performer, unless you do the research you most likely have no idea they didn't write this one song and you may love it without knowing it fallsright into the category of things you're supposed to hate.

I mean, that's a lot of arbitrary things to filter out music you may like, I would even bet you heard a bunch of songs that you loved the first time and still to this day you have no idea they are exactly what you claim to hate.

Currently it is pop music. There is something about the nasal sex kitten female vocals that have completely taken over pop music that really bothers me. A woman moaning nasally to a beat seems to be the current formula for success. I really can't stand it. Even male vocals like Sam Smith follow this trend.

1. Rap
    2. Hip Hop
    3. Metal
    4. EDM/Trap/all the rest of that that I am going to lump together into one but which is really, really going to offend somebody out there that I did

As you go down the list, I can probably find more songs I can tolerate but overall the genre is still a pass from me.
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

Pop-country. I have never heard a good song in this genre.

Rock. I think that need talent to write rock music

5+ Year Old Account
    Mexican “Banda” corridos music.

Most singers have terrible voices and in recent years the songs have glorified drug lords/murders/ slavers. Sometimes by choice and not by choice they do it.

Also they all sound the same.

Thank God Brazillian Funk isn't popular around the world because that for sure would be everyone's least favorite genre.

10+ Year Old Account
    Indi rock, country, hipster music and spanish pop songs or pop songs in general. One of the many reasons i dont like going to clubs cuz the music makes me depressed

Quote Originally Posted by RH92 View Post
    I like artists from pretty much any genre but Jazz.

As a drummer I can understand the complexity to some degree, I just can't connect with the music. To me it doesn't represent any emotion, I don't find it happy, sad, angry, cool or anything in between. More often than not I find it weird, bland and to some extent spasmic shit (not in a derogatory in way), but I do like it's influence on other genres.

Not hating on Big Band Jazz though, there is just something magical to a huge horn section.
    I don’t know how this could be, have you never listened to Kinda Blue or Love Supreme or heard of Stan Getz or Dave Brubeck or listened to music by Duke Ellington, Count Basie, or Benny Goodman or heard Ella Fitzgerald or Billie Holiday or Louis Armstrong or even Frank Sinatra sing?

I do agree, I really enjoy horn sections.

Also, country music is the worst.

Ed Sheeran is the best singer for me

Modern country is kind of just soft rock with twangy guitars and hick accents. I dislike it and think it's dumb.

HOWEVER

I've really come to loathe Indie folk/modern folk rock like the Lumineers and Mumford & Sons, and Of Monsters and Men and the Decemberists. I feel like I'm going to be instantly dressed in Ugg boots and be forced to guzzle gallons of pumpkin spice whatever until I die. It's insufferably wholesome sounding. I feel like people that listen to this music lock their car doors when I walk by on the sidewalk, and I'm adorable.

Hi, I don't really enjoy country music.

10+ Year Old Account
    Country music for sure...not a huge fan of rap and hip hop