1. #1
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    10,112

    Locked threads with unread messages keep the icon even after reading all the messages

    It's only a worry in very few cases, but:

    When just quickly glancing down a page, it makes it seem like I've missed some replies in one of the threads, but there's no "go to first new post" button since I've already read all of them, just after it got locked.

  2. #2
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cretaceous Period
    Posts
    19,285
    Your image isn't loading so not sure which image it is. If you're referring to the red coloured icon, that just means it was a high activity thread that you posted in, not that it was unread. If there's no "go to first new post" button, that generally does mean it is marked as read.

    If it is an unread icon, does Thread Tools > Mark Read work?

    | youtube | twitch | twitter
    |

    for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaArleeVenara

  3. #3
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    10,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Your image isn't loading so not sure which image it is. If you're referring to the red coloured icon, that just means it was a high activity thread that you posted in, not that it was unread. If there's no "go to first new post" button, that generally does mean it is marked as read.

    If it is an unread icon, does Thread Tools > Mark Read work?
    Here's the first image again, from imgur instead of Discord:


    Clicking on the thread and thread tools gives me these options:

    Tried unsubscribing and it still shows up with the red symbol

  4. #4
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cretaceous Period
    Posts
    19,285
    Ah, sorry. I didn't realise "Mark read" tool wasn't available to regular users.

    The red doesn't mean it is unread. The red just means it was a popular topic. The icon itself is the marked read one:

    The green dot means you posted in the thread. And there's no "new post" link which means it is successfully marked as read. But the red will stay red even when locked yeah.

    | youtube | twitch | twitter
    |

    for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaArleeVenara

  5. #5
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    10,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Ah, sorry. I didn't realise "Mark read" tool wasn't available to regular users.

    The red doesn't mean it is unread. The red just means it was a popular topic. The icon itself is the marked read one:

    The green dot means you posted in the thread. And there's no "new post" link which means it is successfully marked as read. But the red will stay red even when locked yeah.
    Ah, okay then, I've just misunderstood how it works then. Would it be possible to remove the red when locked though, since it can't really be a hot thread when it's dead?

  6. #6
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cretaceous Period
    Posts
    19,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Ah, okay then, I've just misunderstood how it works then. Would it be possible to remove the red when locked though, since it can't really be a hot thread when it's dead?
    That's on the dev side of things, so I'll leave for an admin to answer if able.

    However, even if it is possible, I can say that it would definitely be a lower priority change among the site updates.

    | youtube | twitch | twitter
    |

    for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaArleeVenara

  7. #7
    I just go to the "forum tools" and click on "Mark this forum read" if it becomes too much of an annoyance.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Ah, sorry. I didn't realise "Mark read" tool wasn't available to regular users.

    The red doesn't mean it is unread. The red just means it was a popular topic. The icon itself is the marked read one:

    The green dot means you posted in the thread. And there's no "new post" link which means it is successfully marked as read. But the red will stay red even when locked yeah.
    I don't believe "Hot thread with no unread posts" works.
    The red icon always disappears when reading the latest post. It never remains "hot" after viewing, regardless of how many replies are in it.
    And "Hot thread with unread posts" always appear in a thread you've posted or subscribed to when there are unread messages, even if its just 2 replies.
    I never get the grey letter when having unread posts either.

    That Icon Legend must be very outdated as those I mentioned have never worked as long as I've used the site.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •