Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Earthquakes galore here in Cali....

Yesterday we had a 6.4 earthquake and less than an hour ago we had a 7.1 earthquake in the Mojave Desert by the Ridgecrest area. Since the 6.4 one, there has been dozens of smaller ones in the 4's. I think that "the big one" is getting ready to hit over there. Not to make light of earthquakes but I kinda do hope we have a "big one" and its centered in that area because we're due to have an 8-9 any time now. It being out in the Ridgecrest area means fewer people to possibly get hurt or killed. California can bust it's earthquake nut & then we can all go back to feeling relatively safe again for a few more years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stay safe, hope you got supplies, if not, now could be a good time to do a check and stock up.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

No I'm good with the big one not happening right now. These 2 were good enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Keep on rockin'?

...had to.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Keep on rockin'?

...had to.
    We were all having a nice conversation, and you just had to... shake it up.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    meh. didn't even bother stopping my game.

It's california, your apocalypse is our tuesday.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

10+ Year Old Account
    Welp, we all knew one of these days California would split from the US, to go hang with Hawaii.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah my folks don't live far from there, they're traveling right now, so hopefully nothing's happened to their house.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Meh ... no biggie. Just another day here.

And to be honest, it's better to have a series of smaller earthquakes than one big one. The smaller earthquakes relieve pressure on the plates so the stress doesn't build up. There are aaaaalways earthquakes here--most are too small to feel.

10+ Year Old Account
    They weren't really a big deal in populated areas. Many people didn't even feel the first one, but most everybody felt the second one. We also had warning that a second bigger quake was likely coming. Fortunately they were out nowhere in the desert, the only downside is its a completely different fault and doesn't relieve any pressure on the San Andreas.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarfhamster View Post
    Meh ... no biggie. Just another day here.

And to be honest, it's better to have a series of smaller earthquakes than one big one. The smaller earthquakes relieve pressure on the plates so the stress doesn't build up. There are aaaaalways earthquakes here--most are too small to feel.
    I think the USGS lady said it was on the Garlock fault zone. So not part of the San Andreas fault zone. The area is riddled with short discontinuous faults (Sierra Nevada, Little Lake, Airport Lake, White Wolf, Kern Canyon, etc.) I am not familiar with the fault, but according to the USGS database it is capable of M7.7. It is left-lateral which rather unusual for California where the majority of the faults are right-lateral, and extends between San Andreas and Dead Valley fault zones.

San Andreas Blue and Garlock orange.

Last edited by Rasulis; 2019-07-06 at 05:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    I think the USGS lady said it was on the Garlock fault zone. So not part of the San Andreas fault zone. The area is riddled with short discontinuous faults (Sierra Nevada, Little Lake, Airport Lake, White Wolf, Kern Canyon, etc.) I am not familiar with the fault, but according to the USGS database it is capable of M7.7. It is left-lateral which rather unusual for California where the majority of the faults are right-lateral, and extends between San Andreas and Dead Valley fault zones.

[IMG]snip![/IMG]

San Andreas Blue and Garlock orange.

[IMG]snip!
    Thumbs up to you, old chap!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Yep. Water, flashlights, batteries, MRE’s, extra gas... shit like that.
    Luckily I have most of that already because I like being prepared to camp or if the power goes out. Boyfriend prefers bottled water over tap water so most of the time we have a case or two of battled waters.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    They weren't really a big deal in populated areas. Many people didn't even feel the first one, but most everybody felt the second one. We also had warning that a second bigger quake was likely coming. Fortunately they were out nowhere in the desert, the only downside is its a completely different fault and doesn't relieve any pressure on the San Andreas.
    Agreed. Luckily these were out in the Mojave desert where its virtually a ghost town. I'm up in Fresno which is about 150 miles (3 1/2 hours) from Ridgecrest but we still felt it here good enough. The monitor for my PC was rocking back & forth while I was gaming. Funniest thing is my mattress is so shock absorbing that my boyfriend who was on the bed didn't feel anything until he stood up from the bed while I was sitting here feeling the ground shaking lol. I'm glad our dogs didn't freak out though but they were on the bed with the BF so they didn't really feel anything. But yeah, I'd rather a big one hit out in the desert than in LA or SF or San Diego where there's literally a few million people living there and would cause hundreds of millions of dollars in damage and kill/injure way too many people. I know LA & SF are due for another big one too but hopefully not any time soon.

7+ Year Old Account
    God hates Commiefornia.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontinuum View Post
    God hates Commiefornia.
    I don't really understand this commiefornia-meme considering California is the richest US state and the beacon of capitalism.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

The fault that this happened on is actually north of the Garlock fault. It has now extended all the way up to Little Lake. They have a list of the quakes here:

http://scedc.caltech.edu/recent/Maps/118-36.html

A couple of the quakes along the southern end of the fault have almost reached the Garlock fault. Here is an image that I hacked together from other images. The orange horizontal like is the Garlock fault. The red horizontal line at the bottom is the San Andreas fault. All of the small circles are the recent earthquakes from the last few days. The larger orange circle in the middle of them is the 7.1.

There have been 4 quakes over a magnitude of 5 and move than 15 quakes over a magnitude of 4 since the 7.1 in the same area. Quite a few of them are up at Little Lake.

They said that there is a 50% chance that there will be another magnitude 6 quake over the next week and a 9% chance that there will be a quake of magnitude 7 or greater over the next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    The fault that this happened on is actually north of the Garlock fault. It has now extended all the way up to Little Lake. They have a list of the quakes here:

http://scedc.caltech.edu/recent/Maps/118-36.html

A couple of the quakes along the southern end of the fault have almost reached the Garlock fault. Here is an image that I hacked together from other images. The orange horizontal like is the Garlock fault. The red horizontal line at the bottom is the San Andreas fault. All of the small circles are the recent earthquakes from the last few days. The larger orange circle in the middle of them is the 7.1.

There have been 4 quakes over a magnitude of 5 and move than 15 quakes over a magnitude of 4 since the 7.1 in the same area. Quite a few of them are up at Little Lake.

They said that there is a 50% chance that there will be another magnitude 6 quake over the next week and a 9% chance that there will be a quake of magnitude 7 or greater over the next week.
    It looks like the earthquakes occurred along the South Sierra Nevada fault zone. Little Lake and Airport Lake faults are there also, but their MMax is only 6.6 to 6.8. The MMax for South Sierra Nevada is 7.5.

It looks like the earthquakes occurred along the South Sierra Nevada fault zone. Little Lake and Airport Lake faults are there also, but their MMax is only 6.6 to 6.8. The MMax for South Sierra Nevada is 7.5.
    IIRC, Prof Jones said this was a new fault. She indicated that the 7 magnitude quake would make it a 50 mile long fault or something along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    I don't really understand this commiefornia-meme considering California is the richest US state and the beacon of capitalism.
    Same shit as Sweden really, which is not communist either.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.