Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

So what do you think about Disney reply denying the use of spiderman in a gravestone?

I recently saw an article that it appears a father intended to put a gravestone with the image of spiderman for his deseased son (the boy was 4) but it got denied by Disney (from what I got the cemetery administration required permission from them). Didnt see anyone talking about it really.
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.

I thought they eventually allowed it.
    change can't wait.

Disney, along with other companies are very strict in applying their patents and trademarks. They do this, because it allows them to protect them more easily. Does it make them look like dicks? Yep. Do they give a shit? Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefastus View Post
    I recently saw an article that it appears a father intended to put a gravestone with the image of spiderman for his deseased son (the boy was 4) but it got denied by Disney (from what I got the cemetery administration required permission from them). Didnt see anyone talking about it really.
    That's an old story, and also I don't care that someone can't have spiderman on their gravestone.

Disney made the right call to not allow it to be used. Grieving father is doing what grieving people do best - think irrationally - and will get over it after the son is buried.

It has apparently been their policy to deny this sort of thing for decades. I'm sure people think that riling up the internet mob against the company will get them to budge...but good luck with that.

Never liked the Mouse because the Mouse has always been and always will be rude.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Disney made the right call to not allow it to be used. Grieving father is doing what grieving people do best - think irrationally - and will get over it after the son is buried.
    Only to start grieving again because if I recall correctly, the boy's sister is also afflicted by the same genetic disease.

How is putting Spiderman on a four year old's tombstone irrational?

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    The irrational part is getting this upset that they said "no."

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Only to start grieving again because if I recall correctly, the boy's sister is also afflicted by the same genetic disease.
    That sucks. If only Mickey could cure them.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not, but thinking that your individual desires and whims should be satisfied by a multi-billion dollar corporation is a serious god complex.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not, but thinking that your individual desires and whims should be satisfied by a multi-billion dollar corporation is a serious god complex.
    Seems more that the "god complex" lies with the company not the person who wants to honour a dead child with something they loved.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Seems more that the "god complex" lies with the company not the person who wants to honour a dead child with something they loved.
    It's their intellectual property. It's not a god complex, it's a 'I can do what I want with my stuff and you can't tell me otherwise' which is literally what everyone does with their stuff.

The reasoning behind this is they don't want their character associated with death...nevermind the fact that characters die all the time in their franchises...

They also said it goes back to a policy Walt had... well how about we ask Walt's descendent what she thinks?

I mean trying to say "we can't do this because this dead guy who was quite racist and put out tons of very insensitive cartoons (we no longer agree with) out said we can't do it so..."

Who cares about what the dead guy thinks? Disney has already tried to distance themselves from the legacy.

Graves are pointless and hold nutrients from going back into the earth, responsible people cremate their loved ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Graves are pointless and hold nutrients from going back into the earth, responsible people cremate their loved ones.
    Funny that. Cremation is actually quite ecologically unsound by virtue of its energy requirements and emissions.

There's a lot of responsible ways to decompose, cremation really isn't one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Disney proving once again they are cunts. We can feel Stan rolling in his grave (and Walt in his freezer) over this stupidity. Lets hope the bad PR keeps coming.

- - - Updated - - -

Does that mean who people who protest the government have a god complex?

Does that mean who people who protest the government have a god complex?
    If the government is preventing them from putting a US flag on a tombstone, and they generate a PR campaign against the heartless government because of this singular act, yes.

- - - Updated - - -

The father isn't asking Disney to pay for it, just to put it in the gravestone of his boy that loved spiderman. How does this hurt the company in any way?
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.