Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    Okay. I'll stop sharing my views.
    We could never be that lucky.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Too good to be true.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Too good to be true.
    Beat ya by < one minute...but great minds think alike :P
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Too good to be true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Sooo who here is changing their forum's signature?

You're welcome America!
    Government Affiliated Snark

Forrest was a war criminal and a terrorist. Rommel for example was neither of those things.

Your views are despicable. There's no nuance here. The man had no redeeming qualities about him whatsoever. Nothing.

Admiring him, is akin to admiring Goering. Goering was a WW1 fighter ace... And in the top 3 culprits of Nazi Germany and the Holocaust.

But then again, I keep forgetting that you are the guy who claims there are no Nazis in America... While constantly peddling their rethoric.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Forrest was a war criminal and a terrorist. Rommel for example was neither of those things.

Your views are despicable. There's no nuance here. The man had no redeeming qualities about him whatsoever. Nothing.

Admiring him, is akin to admiring Goering. Goering was a WW1 fighter ace... And in the top 3 culprits of Nazi Germany and the Holocaust.

But then again, I keep forgetting that you are the guy who claims there are no Nazis in America... While constantly peddling their rethoric.

Don't read this if you are sensitive:

Major General William Tecumseh Sherman, Commander of the Military Division of the Mississippi, which included Tennessee, wrote:

The massacre at Fort Pillow occurred April 12, 1864, and has been the subject of congressional inquiry.[39] No doubt Forrest's men acted like a set of barbarians, shooting down the helpless negro garrison after the fort was in their possession; but I am told that Forrest personally disclaims any active participation in the assault, and that he stopped the firing as soon as he could. I also take it for granted that Forrest did not lead the assault in person, and consequently that he was to the rear, out of sight if not of hearing at the time, and I was told by hundreds of our men, who were at various times prisoners in Forrest's possession, that he was usually very kind to them. He had a desperate set of fellows under him, and at that very time there is no doubt the feeling of the Southern people was fearfully savage on this very point of our making soldiers out of their late slaves, and Forrest may have shared the feeling.

There was a congressional hearing about massacre after the war. I'm not sure what they decided.

I already said he was a slaveholder and that was unforgivable.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account

Major General William Tecumseh Sherman, Commander of the Military Division of the Mississippi, which included Tennessee, wrote:

The massacre at Fort Pillow occurred April 12, 1864, and has been the subject of congressional inquiry.[39] No doubt Forrest's men acted like a set of barbarians, shooting down the helpless negro garrison after the fort was in their possession; but I am told that Forrest personally disclaims any active participation in the assault, and that he stopped the firing as soon as he could. I also take it for granted that Forrest did not lead the assault in person, and consequently that he was to the rear, out of sight if not of hearing at the time, and I was told by hundreds of our men, who were at various times prisoners in Forrest's possession, that he was usually very kind to them. He had a desperate set of fellows under him, and at that very time there is no doubt the feeling of the Southern people was fearfully savage on this very point of our making soldiers out of their late slaves, and Forrest may have shared the feeling.

There was a congressional hearing about massacre after the war. I'm not sure what they decided.

I already said he was a slaveholder and that was unforgivable.
    https://books.google.com/books?id=Vr...page&q&f=false (Page from the Personal Memoir of U.S Grant)

basically, even if Forrest didnt seem to order it, he didnt seem to care that it happened. In fact, he used the battle (and possibly the massacre after) as proof that the black soldiers cant cope with Southern stock.

...but I am told that Forrest personally disclaims any active participation in the assault, and that he stopped the firing as soon as he could.

Forrest also "disclaimed" to having been a member of the KKK. So I'm not as willing to take him at his word as Maj. Gen. Sherman was.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I think it's less "admiration" and more "republican apologist."

"Sure a republican did something terrible... but... but... if you think about it this way, then it's really not so bad, right? So let's just give my political party a brake then, okay?!"
    Nathan Bedford Forrest was a classic Democrat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    "Classic Democrats" are "Modern Republicans"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    Just to be sure, you're using this in historical terms and not trying to lambast current Dems, right? Because 1860's democrats were pretty conservative, while the Republicans were the liberals.

If we think of it in conservative vs liberal, he does tend to fall closer to one political party who also likes conservatism.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    https://books.google.com/books?id=Vr...page&q&f=false (Page from the Personal Memoir of U.S Grant)

basically, even if Forrest didnt seem to order it, he didnt seem to care that it happened. In fact, he used the battle (and possibly the massacre after) as proof that the black soldiers cant cope with Southern stock.

Even back then, he would likely be concerned about committing a war crime.

Yeah, I get the impression that he wasn't a guy who was disobeyed. If he would've told them not to massacre the soldiers in Ft Pillow, I'm sure his troops would've listened to him. I don't know why he didn't give that order.

Most accounts agree that he did try to stop the massacre once he arrived at Ft Pillow.

He was definitely a racist to his core. We can all agree on that.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Just to be sure, you're using this in historical terms and not trying to lambast current Dems, right? Because 1860's democrats were pretty conservative, while the Republicans were the liberals.

If we think of it in conservative vs liberal, he does tend to fall closer to one political party who also likes conservatism.
    Speaking of; a classic tweet by Ted Cruz who lambaste the Tennessee Governor but throws in Forrest being a Democrat in 1860's.

This is WRONG. Nathan Bedford Forrest was a Confederate general & a delegate to the 1868 Democratic Convention. He was also a slave trader & the 1st Grand Wizard of the KKK. Tennessee should not have an official day (tomorrow) honoring him. Change the law.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    He was so god damned close, and then he trips at the finish line. Sigh...

The massacre at Ft Pillow made the international press. It hurt the relationship the South had with the French and British big time. In that way the massacre was a self inflicted wound.

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Nathan Bedford Forest was a Civil War war hero.
    No, he was a treasonous, dishonest sack of shit. Not only was he the first Grand Wizard of the KKK, he tried to lie about it to avoid having to take responsibility for the violence and hatred he had directed, because he couldn't even take responsibility for his own brutality.

To call this man a "hero" is to devalue the term completely. His memory deserves nothing but scorn and condemnation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    We were right. What a surprise.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    No, he was a treasonous, dishonest sack of shit. Not only was he the first Grand Wizard of the KKK, he tried to lie about it to avoid having to take responsibility for the violence and hatred he had directed, because he couldn't even take responsibility for his own brutality.

To call this man a "hero" is to devalue the term completely. His memory deserves nothing but scorn and condemnation.

Just because he isn't your hero, doesn't mean he isn't a hero to others. A lot of people in the South see him as hero.

He's not my hero either. I just respect his prowess as a cavalry officer.

Everyone is getting too upset. I'm stopping now.

-- Capt. Copeland

Just because he isn't your hero, doesn't mean he isn't a hero to others. A lot of people in the South see him as hero.

Everyone is getting too upset. I'm stopping now.
    Yeah, I'm sure he's a hero to all the racists.

There's a lot of cavalry officers that didn't massacre POW's and end up joining the KKK. Respect them.