Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Annelie View Post
    Blizzard can break the addons like they did in Legion when the heavily used group finder addon made the world impossible to play in as it made all zones lag heavily and created invisible walls where no such should be etc. Even for non addon users. They broke some code the addon was relying on so they stoped working.
    And if they break the code that the group finder addon uses then all the addons stop working. Do you want your dps meters and threat meters shut down too? Because that's the consequence. Zero addons for anyone.

Blizzard does not blacklist addons, but API functions.

So unless they prohibit all "Addon to Addon" communication (thats equivalent to removing *C_ChatInfo.SendAddonMessage()*), Group Finder Addons are possible and my guess is it will only be a question of time until one emerges.

There already someone working on one so you bet your ass its coming.

Hopefully blizz will allow some kind of group finder...

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    There's puging sites but some addon like that is probably inevitable too. Question is if they'll allow it even if it doesn't brick the server. Once you find yourself or others disposable it ruins players and games just the same as over the top be-this-tall-to-ride requirements. The bird is the word, just join the ingame pugchannel and put it in its own tab or something.
    Last edited by Tiwack; 2019-07-18 at 08:53 PM.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    There's puging sites but some addon like that is probably inevitable too. Question is if they'll allow it even if it doesn't brick the server. Once you find yourself or others disposable it ruins players and games just the same as over the top be-this-tall-to-ride requirements. The bird is the word, just join the ingame pugchannel and put it in its own tab or something.
    Having played on private servers I can tell you that everyone already find other players disposable, it doesn't matter if it's a pug or a guild. It's not a systems problem, it's a behavior problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    You clearly did not understand what he said here. But no, they won't be able to remove every form of group finder without impacting the ability to use other addons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    And if they break the code that the group finder addon uses then all the addons stop working. Do you want your dps meters and threat meters shut down too? Because that's the consequence. Zero addons for anyone.
    So all addons stoped working in Legion? I must ahve had some super good addons then becuse they never broke.

So all addons stoped working in Legion? I must ahve had some super good addons then becuse they never broke.
    Stopped working in Legion??? What the hell are you talking about?

A group finder addon being developed for Classic uses the most basic of functions in the API. Breaking those functions would cause a gigantic amount of legitimate addons to stop working.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. You have no idea what everyone else is talking about either. My advice to you is to just shut up before you embarrass yourself further and if you want to weigh in on things like this in the future make sure you at least have a basic understanding of the subject matter because this is just sad.

No but there are still addons that make groups for you. Blizzard did not remove or try to remove that sort of addons.

Quote Originally Posted by Tseng View Post
    Blizzard does not blacklist addons, but API functions.

So unless they prohibit all "Addon to Addon" communication (thats equivalent to removing *C_ChatInfo.SendAddonMessage()*), Group Finder Addons are possible and my guess is it will only be a question of time until one emerges.
    Even if they did that, they could just go back to the vanilla method of using ingame chat for communication. In fact, not having to register one of your 10 channels for an addon is basically why that function was added. And once you block addons from reading/writing to chat, they quickly stop having any use at all.

Can somebody broadcast the CTRaid channel?

This is one of those things that I am surprised people spend a lot of time responding to. I mean if you post 2-3 times in this thread you probably have a complex. If they are there, oh well. If they get broken, oh well. If they next exist, oh well. White knighting about it, defending it, demanding it, or crying about it in either direction here on MMO Champion is pretty much the definition of wasting time.

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    Stopped working in Legion??? What the hell are you talking about?

A group finder addon being developed for Classic uses the most basic of functions in the API. Breaking those functions would cause a gigantic amount of legitimate addons to stop working.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. You have no idea what everyone else is talking about either. My advice to you is to just shut up before you embarrass yourself further and if you want to weigh in on things like this in the future make sure you at least have a basic understanding of the subject matter because this is just sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    No but there are still addons that make groups for you. Blizzard did not remove or try to remove that sort of addons.
    Legion had an addon that automaticly grouped you with people for world quests. Blizzard broke the code (or whatever they did) in their game to make that particular addon stop working. They can and will break addons if they feel that they have to. You guys seem to think that just because A works then B must work also.

I hope they break the functionality of any of these type of addons that pop up. Part of the magic of wow for me was having to hunt down groups. Go out and socialize, call stuff out in chat channels.

Yup, already made, and used on Beta.
    Nice little addon, and adding much needed group forming options for Classic.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Legion had an addon that automaticly grouped you with people for world quests. Blizzard broke the code (or whatever they did) in their game to make that particular addon stop working. They can and will break addons if they feel that they have to. You guys seem to think that just because A works then B must work also.
    An addon that made you automatically join groups, which is a different thing that one that helps you find one. A group finder could be written in such a way that it doesn't call any functions Blizzard can sensibly restrict without making addons pointless in general.

Specificially, they made joining a group require player input. That would be useless in breaking a group finder, whose primary purpose is showing you who is looking for a group.

It would also go against the spirit of Vanilla, which had essentially no restrictions on the AddOn scripting, and lack of group finders was mostly due to people not coming up with the idea. Classic is already more restricted mostly for safety reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    An addon that made you automatically join groups, which is a different thing that one that helps you find one. A group finder could be written in such a way that it doesn't call any functions Blizzard can sensibly restrict without making addons pointless in general.

Specificially, they made joining a group require player input. That would be useless in breaking a group finder, whose primary purpose is showing you who is looking for a group.

It would also go against the spirit of Vanilla, which had essentially no restrictions on the AddOn scripting, and lack of group finders was mostly due to people not coming up with the idea. Classic is already more restricted mostly for safety reasons.
    Yes it is different. My first reply was that Blizz CAN break addons. because someone claimed they could not. So i used that as an example of an addon that they broke on their side.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes it is different. My first reply was that Blizz CAN break addons. because someone claimed they could not. So i used that as an example of an addon that they broke on their side.
    they don't break addons, they break their own api, as in - remove or change problematic functions in said API, often hurting other addons (like in a case of enemy health bars addons in legion)
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Your utter lack of understanding of how this works makes your comments here a waste of time. I'm not going to wate my time as well by trying to explain this further as you have ignored everything people have told you so far but this attitude of yours will hold you back in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    they don't break addons, they break their own api, as in - remove or change problematic functions in said API, often hurting other addons (like in a case of enemy health bars addons in legion)
    I'm still amazed by how many stupid people exist out there that don't understand basic shit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MrExcelion View Post
    Now that the beta has ended, what's the final word on group finder addons coming to Classic? Not asking whether you want it or not (I know a lot of people don't), I'm just asking if one has already been made or is in development. I think Blizzard said at one point they might try to prohibit that sort of addon but it might have been a passing comment and they could be hands off on the matter.

Haven't been paying a lot of attention to it but just curious how that turned out.

Also as a secondary topic of discussion, what other addons are out there or in development already that might majorly transform or impact the experience in the long term for Classic, in your opinion. Positively or negatively impact, doesn't matter, just what will have a major impact in your eyes.

- - - Updated - - -

Can a mod change the thread title to 'Group Finder Addons - Final Result'? Decision wasn't the best choice of words for a title
    The comment you are looking for on this comes from Ion @ Blizzcon

"We know that once's it's out there, just saying don't use it if you don't want it, won't be good enough because it will become part of the fabric, so we may be restricting some of those new things as well. We're likely to find some middle ground which combines the old with the new here with a goal towards making sure the vast majority of ADDONS that people know and expect function with the goal of an authentic experience"