Keyboard Turner
    3+ Year Old Account

WoW Cultural Influence Survey (Master's Dissertation)

Hello fellow WoW players! My name is Noridra (my Toon name) and I am a postgraduate student at King’s College London. I've been playing for about 10+ years on and off, and have recently got back into the game. I am currently writing my dissertation on the reflections of culture that can be found throughout the game. The developers have created such a huge and vast world, but sometimes it seems as though we can see themes from cultures outside of the game. My aim is to explore those themes and reflections.

I have created a small survey that should take you about five minutes and it would help me tremendously if you’d provide your responses.

Don’t worry, it is completely anonymous, and I won’t be collecting any personal data from you. I would just like to get a general overview of how players respond to what they see in game. Thank you so much and have a great day!

Mobile, Tablet, and Desktop friendly!!

*NB – I do ask for some demographic questions, but they are just to help correlate as to who feels the strongest about cultural themes in the game.

Code:
     s.surveyplanet.com/8MXLCaKWX

I'd consider Warcraft a pastiche of the entire high fantasy genre, and then some. Warcraft takes heavily from Warhammer which itself is derived heavily from Tolkien fantasy. And Tolkien fantasy itself is the culmination of Christian beliefs, combined with the Mythologies of the world, and JRRs perceptions of the First World War.

Should the developers include more cultures in future versions of the game?*
    I'd say they are starting to run out lol. Which culture hasn't Blizzard appropriated into WoW yet?

I like the reflections of race and culture that we see in Azeroth, it makes the game world more relatable and believable.

Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    I'd say they are starting to run out lol. Which culture hasn't Blizzard appropriated into WoW yet?
    it's honestly pretty tacky and aging increasingly poorly too they need to like actually come up with unique cultures instead of just copy and pasting real life racial/cultural stereotypes onto races in game. it's often borderline racist especially in the case of goblins, pandaren (entirety of MoP really), and trolls