Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Warcraft Movie Lore - Thrall was going to be Guldan's Son?

I didn't see this being discussed anywhere else.

Duncan Jones was giving an interview and said the following:

For me the story was about Gul’dan and taking the false walls. The symbol or the tribe that he was the chief of, taking them away from the world that was dying on setting them up with a, new home on this, planet of Azeroth. And, really that was going to happen through his baby son who’s, for those who are lore junkies, was getting to grow up to be this character called Thrall.

http://collider.com/duncan-jones-int...rogue-trooper/
    I had been kind of bummed that the movies didn't work out, but if this is the direction they were going, I am kind of glad there was only 1.

10+ Year Old Account
    Video game movies remaining faithful to the source material will never happen.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They really didn't give two shits about source material for the film. I still enjoyed it anyway.
    Me not that kind of Orc!

I think he misspoke. I think he meant his enemies son, not Gul'Dan is his actual son.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

Quote Originally Posted by Neverafter View Post
    I didn't see this being discussed anywhere else.

Duncan Jones was giving an interview and said the following:

I had been kind of bummed that the movies didn't work out, but if this is the direction they were going, I am kind of glad there was only 1.
    calm down, he just meant Durotan, not Gul'dan. The film does not even cover which tribe Gul'dan belongs too. But the frostwolf clan is the main focus of the orc side of the story.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    Faithful adaptation is rare thing in general.

That would have been a disaster and beyond trite.

One of the very strongest aspects of WoW is the lore. I have no idea why directors keep wanting to CHANGE the very thing that made these game franchises so successful.

I really liked Moon, but Jones crapped the bed when it came to Warcraft. Just awful. Worse, the performances were abysmal, especially Medivh and I blame that on directing, especially since Ben Foster is a heck of an actor. I dunno if he was miscast or mis-directed. And honestly, Paula Patton was horrible as Garona. They played her as half orc, half human when she was half orc, half draenei.

So much wrong. Thrall was raised among humans and it Common was his first language, so that whole "where the black rock touches the sky" was just nonsense. Orcish is his second language.

Anyway, no need to go over all that, but yeah, if Duncan Jones had made Thrall the son of Gul'dan, that would have made an already not good movie much worse and make even less sense... which is a shame, really, because the IP is beyond compelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackeyser View Post
    That would have been a disaster and beyond trite.

One of the very strongest aspects of WoW is the lore. I have no idea why directors keep wanting to CHANGE the very thing that made these game franchises so successful.

I really liked Moon, but Jones crapped the bed when it came to Warcraft. Just awful. Worse, the performances were abysmal, especially Medivh and I blame that on directing, especially since Ben Foster is a heck of an actor. I dunno if he was miscast or mis-directed. And honestly, Paula Patton was horrible as Garona. They played her as half orc, half human when she was half orc, half draenei.

So much wrong. Thrall was raised among humans and it Common was his first language, so that whole "where the black rock touches the sky" was just nonsense. Orcish is his second language.

Anyway, no need to go over all that, but yeah, if Duncan Jones had made Thrall the son of Gul'dan, that would have made an already not good movie much worse and make even less sense... which is a shame, really, because the IP is beyond compelling.
    I feel Fimmel was the biggest fuckup of an 'actor' of them all, he just seemed to waltz in and get away with a half-assed version of his Ragnar Lothbrok performance.

Probably just an editor who didn't know/remember the movie much, and cut some line that mentioned Durotan, or that showed that the mention of Gul'dan before wasn't related to the sentence about the tribe/clan or son.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah Blizz should just do it themselves, even if it's just a streaming series. I watched a free Youtube Premium video yesterday. It had millions of views, featured top youtubers, and - let me tell you, the bar is not set very high. A streaming series would give Blizz a smaller bar to clear while offering more room to tell a full story.

The very idea of Gul'dan turning Durotan into a cuckold is hillarious and now I want to see it.

Warcraft was never meant to be a movie, it’s such a massive story that it needs a series, live action with cgi would be incredible but maybe too expensive, a well animated series would do. The source material is there and wouldn’t even require great story writing, just script writing based on the source. Tell the existing story and don’t fuck it up too massively and it would likely be a hit.

Sadly, that’s asking too much, for a writer to stick to the source and not totally destroy the content seems to be fucking impossible these days.

This would've been terrible if we were actually going to get a sequel, which we won't

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    The very idea of Gul'dan turning Durotan into a cuckold is hillarious and now I want to see it.

“Draka calls me daddy!”

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    That sounds much more goblin like than orc. Gallywix definitely does that. Probably some Blood Elves as well.

*cough* Doomhammer was a Frostwolf *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    *cough* Doomhammer was a Frostwolf *cough*
    Nah, he walked through the Frostwolf camp and kinda forgot he was from Blackrock and just stuck with it. That's what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    The best video game movie ever found for me was VanHellsing.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was those kind of stupid and unnecessary changes really baffled me watching the movie.

I still mourn what could've been
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    Faithful adaptation is rare thing in general.
    This is truth. Lord of the Rings has, more or less, been the most faithful adaptation of anything I have seen. And even that strayed from the books in a number of places and cut out significant chunks of the story for timing and pacing.

We are not going to talk about The Hobbit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nagrash View Post
    It was those kind of stupid and unnecessary changes really baffled me watching the movie.

I still mourn what could've been
    I agree 100%. They could have absolutely been much more faithful to the story than they were. I just don't understand why Blizzard didn't step in and say "Uh, no.". Because that was their big thing where the movie property was concerned and why they didn't allow the licensing prior.