Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I always undercut such auctions by 50% at least. Hell, I got the cash so why not?

Some men just want to watch the world burn.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    If this worries you just buy the cheaper item. If you know with 100% certainty it will sell for what your original price and someone is massively undercutting you this someone is literally throwing money at you and your knowledge. FWIW I never really understood the Hexweave Bag market myself, I mean the blue 30-slot bags go for what? 300g? Why would I pay five-tenfold for an EPIC container?

What if I told you people are selling goods on the AH not because they want to make major coin, but to sell items that waste bag space but still can make some more coin than just NPCing them?
    My alt is tailor with a reagent bank full of Legion cloth and thousands of blood of sargeras. I just create a few bags from time to time and put them in the AH. And usually I undercut the lowest price by a great margin because I just want to get rid of them and don't want them to bounce back unsold into my mailbox. I don't know how often I even forgot to take out the gold from the mailbox, I probably have lost 50k and more just because I didn't log in with that alt or just forgot checking the mailbox.

Making gold is just a nice side effect of clearing inventory space for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuupag View Post
    <snip>
    The "average AH player" is not "allergic to gold." In fact, I believe it's the exact opposite: then love gold too much, to the point of putting things in the AH at much cheaper price than average so they can sell quickly. They sacrifice long-term profit for short-term profit just so they can see their gold count go up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because undercutting items makes them sell faster, and the more you play the more items you have to sell and the bigger need you have to constantly liquidate the items in your bank.

Quantity over quality.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    The "average AH player" is not "allergic to gold." In fact, I believe it's the exact opposite: then love gold too much, to the point of putting things in the AH at much cheaper price than average so they can sell quickly. They sacrifice long-term profit for short-term profit just so they can see their gold count go up.
    Well, for most players, playing the AH and maximizing profit are secondary to getting rid of valuables quickly and making some gold out of it, but milking items for every last copper doesn’t interest them much, if at all.

Good thing too, imagine AH if only penny-pinchers like OP were selling stuff there... [shudder]

OP...bags please. Find a new area to make money in, thats not good. You actually haft to min-max and grind mats in your garrison.

Anyway, yes undercutters sucks ass as well.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

This is a very old topic, I remember seeing discussions and outrage on the "wrong" undercuts back in 2006. The consensus seems to be that these things happen, sometimes for a reason, sometimes without a reason, but we just have to deal with it regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Rends View Post
    This is a very old topic, I remember seeing discussions and outrage on the "wrong" undercuts back in 2006. The consensus seems to be that these things happen, sometimes for a reason, sometimes without a reason, but we just have to deal with it regardless.
    Copper/deep undercutting are both valid gold making strategies.

Players who complain about deep undercutting "destroying market price" usually do so because they know exactly that their competition is providing items cheap but still above cost of production. It's risky to buy it out because their competition would just produce more. If it were actually too cheap = below production cost they would resell in a second instead of complaining. OP wants easy money, that's all.

Sooooo.... you hate people undercutting and making a profit on it? Welcome to the AH
    Camilla: You, sir, should unmask.
    Stranger: Indeed?
    Cassilda: Indeed, it's time. We have all laid aside disguise but you.
    Stranger: I wear no mask.
    Camilla: (Terrified, aside to Cassilda.) No mask? No mask!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Average AH poster simply wants to liquidate items of value that take bag space.
    Ditto. 10c

Like in my case, I'm JC, to craft 440 ring I had to prospect ungodly amount of osmelite. I ended up with boatloads of gems I have 0 hopes of selling, so I just threw the crafted "eye" ones at AH at prices that slashed the heck out of all that nonsense that was posted there and they sold nicely.

I don't care about the potential 50k more I could have got by selling several each time daily for bloody months. I just wanted to be rid of this trash off my bags.

As for all other gems - I crafted them and tossed them into the guild bank, so now everyone has free gems for pretty much whole 8.2 and maybe 8.3 too.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2019-07-30 at 09:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hexweave Bags cost 500g to make at worst, they sell at less than 1k on my server, selling them at 4500 is just ridiculous, they are not worth 4500, and people "undercutting" you still ask too much for what it's worth and profit from you not being used to competition

- - - Updated - - -

This is like in A Beautiful Mind, the game theory in the bar stuff, if everyone plays nice we all get to get lucky, whereas if we all trip and stab each other we all go home to a date with Rosie Palms.
    No, this is like price fixing, which hurts economy in long run and makes people roll their own tailors, or buy cheaper alternatives
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Oh I remember getting tons of hate letters from people like you. I mean thanks for letting me sell my usual stuff 50% higher than I do instantly, but I'm complete dumb dumb or asshole or allergic to gold because I didn't felt like baby sitting my auctions to get to sell 300% higher. Good times.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

People who don't play the AH are more likely to want a quick sale than maximizing their profits. Many will think about what the item cost when they purchased it as the "fair" price.

Look at people still thinking that they can get a Swift/Spectral Tiger for the same gold price that it cost back in TBC.

I know AH players who love the undercutters, because they can then buy those items and repost, controlling the market.

15+ Year Old Account
    I basically have been the bag market for years now. Without my time and effort bags would be even more expensive than they are currently b/c the supply would be drastically lower whereas the demand would be the same.
    Yet you are complaining that you can't keep the price higher after you attempt to "reset" it higher. Its clear the market would be filled by others. It is clear you are not the greatest thing since sliced bread for your server. Other people would fill the void if you stopped. Other people do sell because you are complaining that they are selling too low for you to make a profit while still reseting the market.

I list things for whatever I think will sell. I don't want to go through the hassle of looting and relisting on most things. The only thing I've been trying to sell high is the captured firefly I got from the BMAH (~30k cost) but no one is biting.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2019-07-30 at 09:59 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Yet you are complaining that you can't keep the price higher after you attempt to "reset" it higher. Its clear the market would be filled by others. It is clear you are not the greatest thing since sliced bread for your server. Other people would fill the void if you stopped. Other people do sell because you are complaining that they are selling too low for you to make a profit while still reseting the market.

I list things for whatever I think will sell. I don't want to go through the hassle of looting and relisting on most things. The only thing I've been trying to sell high is the captured firefly I got from the BMAH (~30k cost) but no one is biting.
    the fun thing is, if you really control market - you don't put ridiculous price on stuff that is easy to make
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

I think AH is trash bin for most people. For trash that is valuable enough that you bother putting it in AH rather than just not caring and vendoring it directly.

Most people dont care about AH players estimated prices and what is real and fake price or any of that stuff.

Lets take these bags. You try to set some price. You are allowed to do that. That other person who sells the same bags at 25% of your "price" even, if they could just undercut slightly is something they are allowed to do. They might have been selling those bags at that price occassinally and feel ok about the price. That also means the bags sell quickly and also before your bags sell. Dont like it? Buy those bags and put them at your prefered price?

If you think people undercut you too much, why care about it. Buy them and sell at the price you think is right?

People have lot more motivations than maximizing the amount of gold they get. They might want to quickly get rid of the things. They might think you are dumbass for putting bags at such prices and they wont even bother playing some kind of correct undercut game with you. Ect.

I dont play AH much. I keep most stuff I get. But I did have much lols with my friend when he got whispers "wai u undercut?!". People dont care.

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who will readily cut by upwards of 75% on things (usually battle pets), it's a combination of three things:

1) Those bags not being worth a couple thousand gold. I know I wouldn't pay a thousand gold for those bags, let alone more.
    2) People are sick of re-posting. I hate re-posting. I'd rather get a guaranteed sale for a smaller profit than repeatedly repost at an eventual bigger one.
    3) I don't care about the "market value". Shit is taking up space in my bags and I want it gone. I would rather not vendor things I know are worth something, so I get rid of them. If the value goes down, tough shit. I am not a fan of the AH. It's a place for assholes to gouge because they are under some delusion that things are worth thousands of gold when they're truly not. No place is that more obvious than the gear selection. I sell at lower prices so people who otherwise wouldn't get those items can get them at actual fair prices. The AH is a clusterfuck of greed and I'll happily throw monkey wrenches at it any chance I get.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

So I have been the primary supplier of Hexweave Bags...
    LOL! This has got to be my favorite post in a long time. Dude goes on a complete rant acting like he is some god when it comes to business but whose means of ranting only further shows how clueless he is.

lol welcome to capitalism, either adapt or go under. You basically got complacent, these bags take literally zero effort beyond having a bunch of alts sitting around doing nothing. Assuming the competitor is not just trying to dump excess mats quickly for whatever reason, so what if someone took a loot at the AH prices on your server and decided they wanted to step in as competition? There is limited demand in your "tiny" server so instead of sharing with you they decided to take the market for themselves. Technically it is doing exactly what undercutting is designed to do. Businesses do it all the time in the real world. They undercut to such a huge margin that it no longer becomes interesting or profitable causing you to either fold or go elsewhere. By the sounds of it he is not "shitting all over the Clue board" but simply turning your selfish game of Monopoly into something better for himself and the consumer.

Your options are (if the market can handle the quantity) either (1) buy all of his stock and wait for him to go away and then resell, making 2x your money which would be an outstanding profit margin if you can tolerate the delay or (2) learn your lesson and not put all of your eggs in one basket and diversify.

QQ more.

I usually tend to undercut by a few gold, but if the market on things starts to really plummet, I just hold off for posting for a week or so, sometimes it rebounds and sometimes it doesn't, if it doesn't bounce back, find new avenues or adapt to a lower profit. I was selling rare level 25 Ikkys for about $75k, price eventually dropped to about $25k, so I'm holding off for the time being to see if this is the "new" price for good or not. There are definitely times I'll go rock bottom on some stuff just to get rid of it, usually every few months when I clean out my guild banks. After all some gold is better than no gold.