the only reason they keep Alpha secret for so long is because its shit and the moment it release if will further bomb the sub numbers, all hope will be lost.

if they had a good product they would put it up immediately

10+ Year Old Account
    It's time to start the summoning

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Ingame human culture is based on medieval western culture, though.
    No, sorry. Nothing about the cultures in WoW has anything meaningful to do with "medieval western culture". It's an entirely American comic-book-y culture. Having a king and some nobles and so on doesn't make you "medieval western culture"-based in any meaningful way. WoW has far, far, more to do with He-Man than it does with Europe circa 1300. Hell, even the religion, despite some vaguely Christian trappings, is basically Jedi-ism. Star Wars is another source that's much bigger for WoW than history.

This is totally different from, say, The Witcher which has genuine strong ties to Eastern European culture on a variety of levels.

Different ethnicities are mostly shown through different playable races, such as tauren, which are meant to represent native americans. Also, the ingame humans look like half-gorillas, definitely not like they're meant to be straight cartoony versions of real life modern white people- not in terms of facial features either, whereas these asian options and black options seem like they're meant to present modern humans, which might be a bit jarring.

In the end, I have no problem with the notion and more customization is always good, but I hope it doesn't get totally hamfisted.
    Hamfisted...? Was that a joke about how human males look in WoW? Because they are literally hamfisted lol.

It'll be fine - we've seen the faces already and they looked decent. WoW has had dark-skinned and Asian-named characters (not many but some) in it since the beginning, so they're just meant to be "around". Really WoW has no clear history for humans beyond the very past it's like "Vrykuls evolved into humans then [thousands of years deleted]" then the next thing is WC1. This isn't a mistake or error or "fuck lore", it's just how WoW/Warcraft are - they don't really care about in-depth world-building for the humans - they're interested in the elves and trolls and so on. That's what WoW wants to focus on, that and the deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep past, the curse of flesh and all that.

Personally I think the race/gender most desperately in need of new faces is the Night Elf males. Man good god what a shitshow. They have maybe one face that isn't gurning or weird?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by EnacheV View Post
    the only reason they keep Alpha secret for so long is because its shit and the moment it release if will further bomb the sub numbers, all hope will be lost.

I love this, it's so old-fashioned and beautifully naive. Like a woodcut of a Friar strangling a goose or something.

What insanely dumb logic.

Okay, never mind lmao.

I guess WoW races aren't based on ethnic stereotypes anymore because a guy on MMO-Champion said so.
    Last edited by Yarathir; 2020-02-27 at 06:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's already 10.47 AM in California. Slowly losing hope on getting any news today either.

Just like when they put out Battle for Azeroth!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    Not the point?
    Wow has always been lacking with these options.. some races have 3 skin colors.. its quite sad tbh.
    I dont think this need any more explanation.
    It absolutely is the point. WoW is a very special case for being an ancient game that gets media coverage and money put into it on par with modern AAA games. People often forget that the game is over fifteen fucking years old.

The closest thing to it is Team Fortress 2 which has an active community but has been outright abandoned and shelved by its developers.

Quote Originally Posted by ercarp View Post
    It's already 10.47 AM in California. Slowly losing hope on getting any news today either.
    Maybe tomorrow? How many first dataminable builds for expansions have we had on Fridays? If I recall, there were a few?

You just keep setting up yourself for disappointment over and over. Just why? Go with the flow...alpha comes, when it's ready. Sometime between now and april.

Maybe tomorrow? How many first dataminable builds for expansions have we had on Fridays? If I recall, there were a few?
    Tomorrow™

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I remember 2 years ago build was very late, cause I noticed it after I woke up on morning (on EU). And Fridays happen as well, it's just build, they don't have to pay attention if servers are working.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    I remember 2 years ago build was very late, cause I noticed it after I woke up on morning (on EU). And Fridays happen as well, it's just build, they don't have to pay attention if servers are working.
    Yeah, a lot of stuff happens when EU ppl are sleeping, so, few hours to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Valysar View Post
    It's snowing here in France, must be a sign that alpha will drop today.
    In Poland too. Europe will get Alpha before US.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by razorpax View Post
    and alpha has dropped

starter area
    Looks interesting. I guess this an afterlife for elf mages.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think we need to get into a culture discussion so... yeah any asian looking human in wow will look weird but for me it will just feel weird if only becuase I'm not used to it(I mean if you're been with the game so long and something like that is added, yeah it takes time to adjust). That said I doubt you'll see many use the other *Racial* customization that looks different from the regular human model if only because people aren't as picky as..well we are.

Still glad customization is a Shadowlands feature.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ExiHext View Post
    You just keep setting up yourself for disappointment over and over. Just why? Go with the flow...alpha comes, when it's ready. Sometime between now and april.
    You must be new to these hype threads. We don't do "patience" around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I don't think we need to get into a culture discussion so... yeah any asian looking human in wow will look weird but for me it will just feel weird if only becuase I'm not used to it(I mean if you're been with the game so long and something like that is added, yeah it takes time to adjust). That said I doubt you'll see many use the other *Racial* customization that looks different from the regular human model if only because people aren't as picky as..well we are.

Still glad customization is a Shadowlands feature.
    Don't know about others, but the most I look at my character's face is in the portrait icon if I don't have a helm displaying or if I go on Moonguard. I wouldn't be surprised if it's either shelved or deployed 1.5-2 patches into the xpac.

You must be new to these hype threads. We don't do "patience" around here.
    I don’t know about you guys but personally I have been sitting in my chair with my dick in my hand waiting for Alpha to drop every day for the last week during business hours of coarse

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderi View Post
    Don't know about others, but the most I look at my character's face is in the portrait icon if I don't have a helm displaying or if I go on Moonguard. I wouldn't be surprised if it's either shelved or deployed 1.5-2 patches into the xpac.
    By that logic new character models shouldn't of been made, people are gonna look at the new things.

I don’t know about you guys but personally I have been sitting in my chair with my dick in my hand waiting for Alpha to drop every day for the last week during business hours of coarse

Easy there romeo <.<
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by zantheus1993 View Post
    during business hours of coarse
    Why limit yourself? Dare to dream big.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    By that logic new character models shouldn't of been made, people are gonna look at the new things.<.<
    My point is more facial options and skin tones is such a little thing. New character models brought new animations: things you notice.

Quote Originally Posted by zantheus1993 View Post
    This
    Except the dick part
    I AM MY SCARS!
    -Illidan, Legion.