Quote Originally Posted by Valysar View Post
    Remember that for Blizzard, "soon", "very near future" can last for months/years.
    Eh, I think in more recent months/years they definitely have separated "soon" from "very soon" when it comes to announcements. That's why this is so bizarre.

I was joking about a cancellation, but if they actually WERE waiting on a big press event/media summit to release any more info on Shadowlands they absolutely would cancel it due to the virus. So it may all be massively delayed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagawithlegs View Post
    I was joking about a cancellation, but if they actually WERE waiting on a big press event/media summit to release any more info on Shadowlands they absolutely would cancel it due to the virus. So it may all be massively delayed.
    I don't think Cornavirus would affect the expansion. Blizzcon however..... tahts not certain.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I don't think Cornavirus would affect the expansion. Blizzcon however..... tahts not certain.
    Not development, but the release of any information that may be tied to a media event.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darillyn View Post
    Eh, I think in more recent months/years they definitely have separated "soon" from "very soon" when it comes to announcements. That's why this is so bizarre.
    It definitely won't be 2 months away from when he made the comment. But I wouldn't put it past developers to consider 5-6 weeks as "very soon." Lol, dev speak is pretty frustrating.

It's weird because from the outside public perspective they have very broad timelines when using words like "soon" "near" "very" "close" etc but then you hear so much about crunch time culture where things to get done NAO.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it doesn't happen in the next hour I doubt it's happening.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    you would be horrified at whats still being used in various industry's all over.
    I don't work directly in software dev but yeah, do work in large businesses with IT products, including some incredibly legacy shit so yeah that's why I say that haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    also depends what you mean by brogrammer, i took it to mean that the programming industry is extremely male dominated, which is true and to fix the recruitment issues we need to attract more women into the profession (not before i have made enough to retire though, i like the really high wages). and in that regard what is good and bad code doesn't change depending on what life experience the programmer has had and whats between there legs.

but doing an urban dictionary search it seems to specifically refer to a programmer with a type of jock personality. i haven't really experienced anyone like that working in the UK, most tend to be older professional men or younger geeky adults. but that might be as i work mostly in the back end so there is not much tolerance for sloppy code and most people who i work with are in there 50s.

though you do seem to be describing some behaviour that i have witnessed in regards to being resistant to best practise and being resistant to change, but i wouldn't have called them brogrammers as they tend to be the type who don't interact much with the rest of the office, don't like people talking to them or asking or answering any questions, usually there super into open source and Linux and every one highly suspects is on the spectrum.
    Blizzard had specifically the frat-boy-ish kind of staff (frat boys are kind of nerdy in a lot of ways, note), and for a long time, the main hiring qualification for Blizzard wasn't "are you good at this?", it was "do you fit into this echo-chamber frat-nerd-bro culture?". That lead to them hiring (alongside more typical hires) a real mix of talented people without conventional qualifications/experience and but also plenty of complete idiots. It seems like from maybe 2010 onwards this culture at Blizzard was gradually changing, gradually becoming more professional and so on (whereas it didn't change at some other businesses), probably because it was causing too many problems (which is a whole other discussion).

In the UK (where I am also) the whole brogrammer thing is much more rare (though not unheard of - if you sent some people to Shoreditch you could round up hundreds of them!), I think in part because British people just aren't typically like that (we don't even have frats). Instead you get lots of what you describe, really kind of narrow-minded programmers opposed to change and best practice (who often also aren't very good at actually doing their job). I could complain about them all day but it's not worth it lol.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    If it doesn't happen in the next hour I doubt it's happening.
    Feels like show is over for today. Typically any "new news" happens between 10-11am. It's incredibly rare if it happens at noon (US PST).

Just gonna say this: BFA alpha launched 2 weeks after antorus LFR wing 4

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pennem View Post
    Feels like show is over for today. Typically any "new news" happens between 10-11am. It's incredibly rare if it happens at noon (US PST).
    Hum, no. In France, stuff like this always happens at night, it's 7 p.m. here, there is still hope

If alpha doesn't happen this week or at least give us something to datamine, I will rip a piece of paper in half. No one will stop me; not even my mom.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyx22 View Post
    If alpha doesn't happen this week or at least give us something to datamine, I will rip a piece of paper in half. No one will stop me; not even my mom.
    You savage!!! D:

It won't be for a very long time, but I'm pretty excited to see what we get as patch zones.
    In most expansions we have at least a fair idea of patch content. Nazjatar was expected (we knew there'd be mechagnomes but not mechagon specifically), Firelands was expected, Isle of Thunder, Tanaan, the broken shore. Timeless isle was "unexpected" but it's just an expanded Jade Forest with the same mobs, so it wasn't anything revolutionary. Argus was unexpected in that many assumed it would be the following expansion, but it fell very inline with what was already happening (the Legion but turned up a notch).

This may be the first expansion where we have actually zero idea what is in store for added expansion areas. They could be anything at all. The 5 current realms of the Shadowlands vary pretty wildly and any patch zone could just come out of nowhere and be something absolutely crazy. Dragon Isles is really the only known potential right now and nothing about Shadowlands seems to be dragon related.

Labyrinthine necropolis/tomb zones, eerie dark forests like the one in the Uuna chain, maybe ghost Teldrassil, since it's a "living" zone?

Should be crazy.

I'm just here wondering when the armistice cutscene quest gets activated.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Should be crazy.
    Exactly why in SL I will smell the roses. Gonna stop trying to push my ilvl asap/raid/m+ io score.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by George Costanza View Post
    3 weeks just about according to my calculations: Jan 16 -> Feb 7. That is too freakin long!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    It won't be for a very long time, but I'm pretty excited to see what we get as patch zones.
    In most expansions we have at least a fair idea of patch content. Nazjatar was expected (we knew there'd be mechagnomes but not mechagon specifically), Firelands was expected, Isle of Thunder, Tanaan, the broken shore. Timeless isle was "unexpected" but it's just an expanded Jade Forest with the same mobs, so it wasn't anything revolutionary. Argus was unexpected in that many assumed it would be the following expansion, but it fell very inline with what was already happening (the Legion but turned up a notch).

This may be the first expansion where we have actually zero idea what is in store for added expansion areas. They could be anything at all. The 5 current realms of the Shadowlands vary pretty wildly and any patch zone could just come out of nowhere and be something absolutely crazy. Dragon Isles is really the only known potential right now and nothing about Shadowlands seems to be dragon related.

Labyrinthine necropolis/tomb zones, eerie dark forests like the one in the Uuna chain, maybe ghost Teldrassil, since it's a "living" zone?

Should be crazy.
    I didn't expect isle of thunder to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by George Costanza View Post
    That should still make this week a comfortabkle location for htedatamineable build ot be available. With the actual playable one next week or the one after.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    That should still make this week a comfortabkle location for htedatamineable build ot be available. With the actual playable one next week or the one after.
    I still have the feeling for next week, 8.3.5 not being a thing could speed up the deliverance of alpha.

I mean 7.3.5 arrived simultaneously as the last wing.