Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    You can see that a public datamined Alpha/Beta is kind of required by the fact that no one gives a shit about Shadowlands or isnt even remotely excited?
    myeah sort of. People are "hyped" up by the potential of stuff blizzard can do but not what they will do.

Quote Originally Posted by George Costanza View Post
    myeah sort of. People are "hyped" up by the potential of stuff blizzard can do but not what they will do.
    It doesn't really matter.

It gets people talking, news outlets will post about it, memes get created, speculation, theorycrafting, all that. Shadowlands will be on peoples mind.

Its been almost half a year since Blizzcon and we've heard nothing about Shadowlands. Its embarrassing really.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    My god, I don’t give a damn about spoilers for retail. I am genuinely indifferent about the future of the story of retail WoW that I am just here because I am bored and like to be up to date. Doesn’t mean I care about the outcome. Datamining could spoiler the entire Shadowlands story for me and I couldn’t care less about it, that’s how much I am interested in it. N-o-t a-t a-l-l. Systems? Mechanics? Class changes? Yes. Story? Absolutely zero interest.

My point is that I think it’s better for the game if datamining is reduced by a large amount. This has absolutely nothing to do with me being unable to avoid spoilers. This is not the hottest Netflix show right now, it’s just WoW. At the same time I still have the highest respect for Marlamin and all the work he (and others) does in that regard. I just wish Blizzard would step up their game and it seems like they can if they want to. And that’s what I‘m hoping for.

@Sondrelk I agree with you on the discussion part. But imho that’s what closed alpha/beta forums are for and not fan forums like this. But that’s another kind of story what’s available for testers and what’s not.
    Well, thankfully you don't work at Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    It doesnt really matter.

It gets people talking, news outlets will post about it, memes get created, speculation, theorycrafting, all that. Shadowlands will be on peoples mind.

Its been almost half a hear since Blizzcon and weve heard nothing about Shadowlands. Its embarassing really.
    The cycle is quite sad when you realize it tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    He wasn't at Blizzcon. 100% sure.
    So they are doing alpha testing with an NDA

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    @Sondrelk I agree with you on the discussion part. But imho that’s what closed alpha/beta forums are for and not fan forums like this. But that’s another kind of story what’s available for testers and what’s not.
    An exclusive Thread would be nice and all, even if it might end up not being as exciting to discuss things in considering the tiny subset of players getting into the test realm being made even more tiny by the small amount of players even discussing things on forums anyways.

Even beyond that though, hands on experience being something to discuss with other players who also have hands on experience is necessary, but you also cannot underestimate the large amount of players with thoughtful commentary and critique available even if thye only get secondhand experience. Not to mention that you need the viewpoint of those who have not played it to give their own idea of what the content should be like, untarnished by the actual experiences.

Islands are one of thsoe things that could easily be tarnished by actually aplying it, and not having the untainted viewpoint of what it is like in your mind, as pointless as that sometimes is.
    One player might have problems with tuning, another might have problems with the gearing, and a third might think the variety is lacking. But only someone who never actually played it would likely be able to give ideas on ways of improving what we already had, seeing as it is easy to fall into the trap of thinking something is completely unsavageable after you have played it.

How I see it is that right now is that if Blizzard puts out an initial standard barebones alpha build that doesn't do much to impress, it immediately creates a negative narrative surrounding Shadowlands way before it's even released that they definitely do not want.

But that'd probably happen regardless of what they do re: alpha and I'm still expecting a normal-sized alpha build and normal testing process. :')

Just got a bnet update, maybe some backend changes to support Alpha

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure we're gonna get one of those dev update videos before alpha/beta goes live.
    THE HORDE WILL ENDURE , THE HORDE IS STRONG!

Hey they is great news! I think we can actually see decryption this week!

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage Alodi View Post
    I'm pretty sure we're gonna get one of those dev update videos before alpha/beta goes live.
    Maybe before the Beta, but I can't imagine why they would skip opening the game up to a controlled sampling of the community. Or why they would make an update video for something they can't play, just read about on one of the 3 general wow websites.

But I am imagining why the Alpha is still encrypted: Most of the people who'd be getting alpha keys to cover the game, WoW Youtubers, have been openly shitting on BFA. Personally, I'd want to give them something new to talk about but maybe they're afraid they'll shit on the alpha too.

so it seems they are preping the servers.

https://twitter.com/Marlamin/status/1245100011647422464

Something alike this happened a week or so before bfa alpha iirc.
    Last edited by George Costanza; 2020-03-31 at 09:41 PM.

Oh yes, prep your servers harder Blizzy!

Happy Pride

The dream is real! April 1st Alpha release! Our memes were not dreams afterall!

Aaaaaand boom, April's fools are beginning 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Valysar View Post
    Server activity isn't an april fools, I don't meddle in those.

Quote Originally Posted by Valysar View Post
    Its still march 31 in the netherlands/germany/sweden etc

Quote Originally Posted by Ersula View Post
    Maybe before the Beta, but I can't imagine why they would skip opening the game up to a controlled sampling of the community. Or why they would make an update video for something they can't play, just read about on one of the 3 general wow websites.
    Because it's become the norm to have things datamined, Blizzard even rely on it and have for a while now to drum up hype. To start having reveals/previews for Alpha opening up is another way to generate hype and get press.

I know people like to rag on Towelliee but if he's being honest about how there was supposed to be a bunch of streamers/etc that got sidelined because of Corona then that reinforces that nowadays things like Alpha/Beta reveals are hype moments for Blizzard as well as the community.

Especially if as you say they might be afraid players will shit on the alpha too, some portion of the community is notorious for treating the game's alpha as if it is the final live state of the game (and this isn't a don't complain it's beta -> don't complain it's just first patch -> etc.).

So WoW devs are probably trying to, as much as they can, prepare a big portion of content to play/test with reveal announcement going out with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlamin View Post
    Server activity isn't an april fools, I don't meddle in those.
    Oh ? So... yikes ! Something is happening ♥