7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I like Kyrian but thats because they just look cooler and Lightsong wouldn't really jive well with Necrolords as cool as they are. Now maybe Nightfae might be different and interesting but we will see, soulbindings are interesting if only in the thematic sense.
    Is Lightsong a mage or paladin? (cool name btw). But yeah I agree soulbindings are interesting from a thematic sense. I mean you can look at it as like an apprenticeship for your character. There's good rp vibes involved there by choosing who to soulbind with and I'm sure the characters themselves will have personality to them.

But yeah for my alts I'm going by the abilities, originally for instance I was gonna have my DH go Venthyr but The Hunt ability from Night Fae just sounds super fun while Venthyr one sounds boring.

I figure since alt-play will be easier, I will be able to experience all 4 stories on different characters. Only follow 'what would my paladin do' because he is my main.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    pretty sad that cloth chests are still 2D. We're stuck with painted on assets when the tech for them is there.
    Ye, i wish we could get something like what Jaina is wearing at some point.

Or at least something that is less blocky.

Formerly known as Arafal

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfaheart View Post
    I've gone through the abilities a couple of times now and honestly I don't see these decisions being as weighted as you all think. None of the math is done on the dmg numbers yet and we can't see cooldowns. You have no idea how much of a benefit one will have over another until they're actually implemented in game. People act like the sky is falling and the world is on fire and they're so quick to criticize shit that we haven't even had a chance to explore in depth yet. If all you do is spew negativity into the world you're gonna spend the rest of your days being absolutely miserable
    A lot of the criticizers are also only looking at the abilities themselves in a vacuum. Not realizing that soulbinds and conduits are also going to be a major factor for character power too.

But imo, the fact that we see the signature abilities (the abilities all players of the same covenant will get regardless of class) have been changed so thoroughly that they provide very distinct functions from what was previewed at Blizzcon gives the sense that Blizzard does want Covenants being very unique/distinct and for them to be considerable decisions to make for players.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyomesh2 View Post
    Ok. Then I'll pick the Covenant with the best M+ damage.
    Oh wait, that one is pretty bad for raiding.
    I will still have to gimp myself.

This system is trash.
    That's what making choices is about. Weigh the ups and downs and pick what seems the most favourable to you. Not "get to pick all the upsides while skipping all the downsides".

Not everyone is content to gimp themselves because of visuals and lore.
    Then dont and pick the most OP ability.

There's nothing stopping you getting it, theres no RNG element to it like legendaries, azerite armour or corruption.

The main issue i can see is if the abilities don't gel with with how a certain spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennem View Post
    Going to pick Kyrian on my Paladin because I vibe with that covenant most for my Pally's lore, don't care what the ability is. Making the story/lore choice for my main.

I'll make a mage who will go Necrolord because the skeletal mage ability sounds fun af. Making the gameplay choice for alts, picking the ability that sounds most fun.

That's not a hard thing to do.

This^ I'm playing the game to have fun.

my lineup so far is

DH - Venthyr
    DK - Necrolord
    Pally- Kyrian
    Druid- Night Fae

I'll sprinkle my other characters in either thematically or if there's an ability i just ~have~ to try out. That 1% dps difference for my DH if he would've picked a different covenant isnt going to bother me.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    That's what making choices is about. Weigh the ups and downs and pick what seems the most favourable to you. Not "get to pick all the upsides while skipping all the downsides".
    That's the vibe I'm getting from the criticizers. Wanting all the benefits with no downside.

Exactly. If my Covenant ability increases my mobility but my AOE is lacking my soulbind could be completely aoe based. People that complain just to complain without seeing more than what's on the surface are the same toxic people that share news articles on social media for the headline.

Rabid min-maxers = why we can't have nice, fun things.

A lot of the criticizers are also only looking at the abilities themselves in a vacuum. Not realizing that soulbinds and conduits are also going to be a major factor for character power too.

But imo, the fact that we see the signature abilities (the abilities all players of the same covenant will get regardless of class) have been changed so thoroughly that they provide very distinct functions from what was previewed at Blizzcon gives the sense that Blizzard does want Covenants being very unique/distinct and for them to be considerable decisions to make for players.
    Exactly. If my Covenant ability increases my mobility but my AOE is lacking my soulbind could be completely aoe based. People that complain just to complain without seeing more than what's on the surface are the same toxic people that share news articles on social media for the headline.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Imagine thinking that gimping yourself is good game desing.
    Yohohoho

Losing 1% damage on your normal raid night is not "gimping" yourself.

Ok. Then I'll pick the Covenant with the best M+ damage.
    Oh wait, that one is pretty bad for raiding.
    I will still have to gimp myself.

This system is trash.
    Thats why they have the soulbind system in place.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    Losing 1% damage on your normal raid night is not "gimping" yourself.
    Yes it is. it goes further than just this by the way, but I doubt explaining it to people like you helps
    Yohohoho

7+ Year Old Account
    why do we even have stats

Yes it is. it goes further than just this by the way, but I doubt explaining it to people like you helps
    No, it is not. The only time that would maybe matter is a world first race, and game design shouldn't be about the .01%.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by johny download View Post
    why do we even have stats
    Because somewhere down the road, people started to think RPG = numbers.

Gimping yourself is not game design at all. It's something the player does. You're mistaken in your belief that Blizzard somehow owes it to you to have a perfect character.

Would a workable solution be that every Covenant has the same 4 Class Abilities, but skinned for whichever they belong to?

So you'd choose your Covenant based on looks/lore/theme etc. and then choose your ability. If they made it so you could change the class ability but only by accruing a currency which you'd earn similar to Echoes or maybe Titan Residuum then you would have to make a choice that would last for however long they wanted to make it to gather that currency. If you could only change your Class Ability say once a month then it's still meaningful but you won't feel like you're stuck with it, and you can also join whichever Covenant you prefer without having to feel like you've messed up. Maybe a weekly cap so you can earn the currency however you want to?

I know this would potentially be too much of a drain on resources but I feel like it might be a good solution to avoid anyone being pissed off. Might also be cool to encounter a player and be like 'oh nice, that's what your version of <Class Ability> looks like!'

Might also be a terrible idea

*edited to make it clearer that every class would still have the same 4 abilities that are being planned now, not just 4 total that everyone chooses from
    Last edited by Gladeheart; 2020-04-07 at 03:48 PM.

Going to pick Kyrian on my Paladin because I vibe with that covenant most for my Pally's lore, don't care what the ability is. Making the story/lore choice for my main.

I'll make a mage who will go Necrolord because the skeletal mage ability sounds fun af. Making the gameplay choice for alts, picking the ability that sounds most fun.

That's not a hard thing to do.
    Yep, when I read that necrolord ability for the mage I was "screw venthyr, necrolord for my mage!"

Was going Necrolord on my SL Main too, Death Knight, but I think Venthyr will fit my void elf better since I love the heritage chest so the skeleton bone cloak transmog will be overdoing it. Coffin on my back with Void Elf Heritage Chest will be nice. Wings around it. Pure class! And venthyr fits blood/void elves. Not to mention Kael'thas is there.

What I am looking forward to the most now in Shadowlands is to choose the covenant for each of my characters. Love the theme they give.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Locked into"

You're in for a lot of pain if you use that logic IRL.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi