Thread: Minimum specs

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Minimum specs

I have decided to give Classic a try after seeing that the installed size will be very small. I'm going to try it on my 2011 vintage laptop that I played retail WoW on for about 4 years (2011-2015). The specs are as follows:
    CPU--AMD A8-3500M quad core APU
    GPU--Integrated Radeon HD6200G using 512mb of system memory
    RAM--8GB DDR3-1333mhz
    SSD--Silicon Power A55 256GB

I know it mostly exceeds minimum specs . The only part that concerns me a little is the graphics chip. Minimum says Intel 4000 and looking up a comparison between that and what I have, it looks very close. What do you guys think? Will it work?
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

It'll work. You'll likely be at 720P and probably on low-settings, but open-world performance will be decent. I'm not sure how raids will be a they're quite a bit more demanding, but even that should be playable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anything made after 2010 will run Classic fine enough, you just won't be running it on SUPER ULTRA OMEGA WTFBBQOMGPWN 60K resolution or whatever.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

The minimum specs are kind of a joke. A computer from 14 years ago could run the game. lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshpro View Post
    The minimum specs are kind of a joke. A computer from 14 years ago could run the game. lol
    I'm actually glad for this. An old boss I used to work for hasn't been able to upgrade his PC in a long time (other things keep taking priority) is excited for Classic since it will run on his PC and we can start getting the old crew back together again.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by SoupaSoka View Post
    It'll work. You'll likely be at 720P and probably on low-settings, but open-world performance will be decent. I'm not sure how raids will be a they're quite a bit more demanding, but even that should be playable.
    The laptop has a 720 screen, 1366 X 768. I was playing on lowest settings in retail before the latest patch and getting 15-25 in cities and 25-35 in the open world. Raids were bad though. I'll probably never get to the end game in Classic so I'm not worried about that. I'll probably quit it well before reaching max level. I think I might be able to do a mix of low and medium settings in Classic. The SSD should help. It used to have a 5400 rpm HDD.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Freshpro View Post
    That's an exaggeration, I have a 14 year old laptop and it could never handle it with it's single core CPU and 128mb integrated graphics. I also have a 2005 desktop with a single core Athlon 64 3500+ and a Radeon X700 Pro GPU and I think that would struggle too. That was my original WoW machine. Classic has much higher minimum specs than Vanilla did.
    Last edited by Dch48; 2019-08-06 at 01:18 PM.
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics

Quote Originally Posted by Dch48 View Post
    The laptop has a 720 screen, 1366 X 768. I was playing on lowest settings in retail before the latest patch and getting 15-25 in cities and 25-35 in the open world. Raids were bad though. I'll probably never get to the end game in Classic so I'm not worried about that. I'll probably quit it well before reaching max level. I think I might be able to do a mix of low and medium settings in Classic. The SSD should help. It used to have a 5400 rpm HDD.

- - - Updated - - -

That's an exaggeration, I have a 14 year old laptop and it could never handle it with it's single core CPU and 128mb integrated graphics. I also have a 2005 desktop with a single core Athlon 64 3500+ and a Radeon X700 Pro GPU and I think that would struggle too. That was my original WoW machine. Classic has much higher minimum specs than Vanilla did.
    How can you stand that? I'd rather just put the $14.99 to the side for a few years until I could get a new computer lol.

Quote Originally Posted by WashedUpRaider View Post
    How can you stand that? I'd rather just put the $14.99 to the side for a few years until I could get a new computer lol.
    Umm, I don't play on it now. The specs in my signature are my current rig that has been in use for 5 years now. I have never been one who needs to have 60fps on the highest settings. If I can get no lower than 25 on whatever settings it takes to get there, I'm satisfied. Normally I tune my settings to the level that gives me at least 40 fps and that's good enough even if it's not on Ultra. If I can't get 25 with lowest settings, that's when it's time for an upgrade.
    Last edited by Dch48; 2019-08-06 at 01:40 PM.

Umm, I don't play on it now. The specs in my signature are my current rig that has been in use for 5 years now. I have never been one who needs to have 60fps on the highest settings. If I can get no lower than 25 on whatever settings it takes to get there, I'm satisfied. Normally I tune my settings to the level that gives me at least 40 fps and that's good enough even if it's not on Ultra. If I can't get 25 with lowest settings, that's when it's time for an upgrade.
    I dont think you understand how much more you'd enjoy the game if you'd invest just a little bit more. But you do you dawg. If you enjoy a slide show, thats your prerogative. To each their own.

I dont think you understand how much more you'd enjoy the game if you'd invest just a little bit more. But you do you dawg. If you enjoy a slide show, thats your prerogative. To each their own.
    I see absolutely no difference between 30 fps and 60 in any game. I play Forza Horizon3 and 4 and purposely lock the framerate at 30. 25 fps is not even close to a sideshow. Most movies play at 24. I really only see a noticeable problem if it drops below 18. 60 fps is not necessary and neither is a resolution over 1080 on a computer screen of 30" or less.

I see absolutely no difference between 30 fps and 60 in any game. I play Forza Horizon3 and 4 and purposely lock the framerate at 30. 25 fps is not even close to a sideshow. Most movies play at 24. I really only see a noticeable problem if it drops below 18. 60 fps is not necessary and neither is a resolution over 1080 on a computer screen of 30" or less.
    Whatever lies you want to tell yourself homie. Theres a HUGE difference between 30 fps and 60 in every game. Theres an even bigger difference between 60 and 144 if you get a 144hz monitor.

out of curiosity what's the reason you're choosing to play it on a vintage laptop? Is it because that's the only system you have or you doing it for the nostalgia effect?

Quote Originally Posted by QubiikY45 View Post
    out of curiosity what's the reason you're choosing to play it on a vintage laptop? Is it because that's the only system you have or you doing it for the nostalgia effect?
    Look in my signature. Those specs are my Desktop. I just want to see how well it plays on the laptop since I'm sure I'll only play it for a short time before dumping it. I'm not one of those who thinks Vanilla was better than what we have now. Far from it.

- - - Updated - - -

Theres a HUGE difference between 30 fps and 60 in every game.
    Not that I've ever seen in any game. In Forza Horizon 4, I can play at 60fps but I use the auto-optimization feature and the game actually looks better locked at 30. To maintain the 60, the auto-optimization turns down some of the settings like shadows and other things. As far as smooth playability goes, there is absolutely no difference.
    Last edited by Dch48; 2019-08-07 at 04:38 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not everyone notices the difference, but there IS an noticeable difference for those who see it, just like there is a huge difference from 60 to 144.
    For someone who play in 144 fps i cant handle below 60 fps, its just objectively bad for me.

Dont worry my friend, soon or later you will also see the truth of 60fps/144fps/240fps.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Floating framerate is bad. When you're playing on 60 fps and then suddenly it turns to 40 for a few seconds.

If you have stable 30 fps, it's not that bad. Yes, you'll notice the difference, but mind will adapts and you won't really care after some time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know it mostly exceeds minimum specs .
    Keep in mind:
    OPERATING SYSTEM Windows® 7 64-bit (with latest Service Packs)
    64bit OS installs were less common in 2011
    Last edited by Chakah; 2019-08-07 at 05:15 PM.

Look in my signature. Those specs are my Desktop. I just want to see how well it plays on the laptop since I'm sure I'll only play it for a short time before dumping it. I'm not one of those who thinks Vanilla was better than what we have now. Far from it.

- - - Updated - - -

Not that I've ever seen in any game. In Forza Horizon 4, I can play at 60fps but I use the auto-optimization feature and the game actually looks better locked at 30. To maintain the 60, the auto-optimization turns down some of the settings like shadows and other things. As far as smooth playability goes, there is absolutely no difference.
    This is literally just flat out incorrect. There is verifiable data that confirms this fact. But you do you homie.

I used to convince myself of the same thing when I couldn't afford the system or peripherals to support the higher frame rates. Now I try to play on a 60 fps monitor and I'd rather just not play.

Quote Originally Posted by Chakah View Post
    Keep in mind:

64bit OS installs were less common in 2011
    The laptop is running the latest version of Windows 10 64 bit. All my computers have the 1903 build. The laptop originally came with 64 bit Windows 7.

- - - Updated - - -

This is literally just flat out incorrect. There is verifiable data that confirms this fact. But you do you homie.

I used to convince myself of the same thing when I couldn't afford the system or peripherals to support the higher frame rates. Now I try to play on a 60 fps monitor and I'd rather just not play.
    I don't care about data. I care about what I see and I see no difference. I think people want there to be a difference to justify spending the money that they have. Just like with Smartphones. My phone cost $79 and is more than adequate for anything. People who spend hundreds or even $1000 are in my mind, crazy. My personal limit for a phone would be $150 and I also have a personal policy of never buying anything made by Apple. I could afford at least $3000 to upgrade my computer but I just don't see the need. My Scottish blood would never let me pay $500 or more just for a graphics card,
    Last edited by Dch48; 2019-08-07 at 08:04 PM.

The SSD should help. It used to have a 5400 rpm HDD.

- - - Updated - - -

The only thing an SSD will do in WoW is make for faster loading screens. Nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    The only thing an SSD will do in WoW is make for faster loading screens. Nothing else.
    I disagree. It makes loading of data as you move through the world faster as well. I notice more of that kind of thing since switching to an SSD on my desktop more than any difference in loading screens. The whole thing is smoother. The random access reading speed is much more important than the sequential.
    Last edited by Dch48; 2019-08-07 at 08:06 PM.