Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
  1. #41
    As long as they keep trying to make M+ their new esport,they will never do such a thing,sadly they consider making an esport out of anything they can touch to be a better choice than making things fun

  2. #42
    It makes me very sad to see how under developed and under utilized the underlying design philosophy of island expeditions is.

    As a side note if we go through another expansion of a barely changed world quest system, I'll be sitting out another expansion.

    Also as was touched on above, M+ e-sport was a massive mistake and just drew a large spotlight on the balance issues that the vast majority of players would have gone on happily ignorant of and enjoying clearing content at a competitive pace.

  3. #43
    I see a few people throwing around the sentiment that blizzard just added a half-baked idea rather than going full-throttle.

    I'd rather them have experimented with a new system such as island expeditions and such to test the waters than implement that in an already existing game system. As with the island expeditions, the "randomness" sounded good on paper, but how different does each expedition really feel?

  4. #44
    Wouldn’t have a problem with this. I like the idea of a changing game dynamic. Hell I wouldn’t be opposed to an NPC group that travels around and kills people and you need to team up in the game world to kill them. Kind of like the IE groups but they are in the open world and not instanced. But they will only stay in one zone and they will get stronger as the expansion goes along just like normal players do

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacewalrus2010 View Post
    I see a few people throwing around the sentiment that blizzard just added a half-baked idea rather than going full-throttle.

    I'd rather them have experimented with a new system such as island expeditions and such to test the waters than implement that in an already existing game system. As with the island expeditions, the "randomness" sounded good on paper, but how different does each expedition really feel?
    There's a difference between experimentation and just throwing something at the wall and seeing if it sticks. If you don't put enough time into developing the system you're not going to get a good idea if it's even a good idea, you'll just know it failed because you didn't put enough effort into realizing the potential it had.

    Island expeditions had potential, if it wasn't constrained to islands, had different themes - it could have been like diablo-esque procedural content and instead it's just...very flat. Blizzard does this a lot, similar mistake was made with Garrisons - it was just developed enough to be interesting at first but failing utterly because they didn't put enough effort into developing the interesting bits that players actually wanted - the ability to customize and design it and make it their own (nobody wanted mobile phone game of sending followers on missions).

  6. #46
    Scarab Lord scarecrowz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,076
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    ...Legion Class Halls.

    By that I mean, Expeditions are likely a precursor to a more thoroughly developed PVE content system.

    Imagine if applied to Dungeons.

    Instead of running Shrine of the Storm 100 times with the exact same bosses, mobs, etc you can now experience:

    Shrine of the Storm A:
    - Kthir everywhere, they've summoned a Kraken
    - It's raining, and low visibility
    - Lots of shadow magic, but holy magic can crit on these
    - Bosses are: what they are now

    Shrine of the Storm B:
    - A secondary cave path has opened up
    - There's a bunch of Troll Pirates here this time
    - They are trying to collect a series of Old God Artifacts. The more they collect before you the harder they will be to kill
    - Bosses are: Troll Pirate guy, NZoth empowered troll pirate guy, and a Void minion they've accidentally summoned with a mysterious artifact.

    Shrine of the Storm C:
    - Very bad storm, a lightning strike has opened up rocks to reveal an underwater pathway to a different part of the map.
    - A tribe of Sethrak have come to harness the power of the lightning storm.
    - They dish out a lot of nature damage.
    - They bring Sethrak-themed mechanics.
    - sethrak bosses


    Etc etc

    Entering a dungeon basically would be:
    - a general map layout you can expect, with maybe different parts, caves, corridors, rooms, etc available based on the instancing
    - a range of mobs that make sense for that dungeon, but are random
    - NPCs may have random objectives you need to contend with, ie. they are collecting powerful artifacts, trying to assassinate an ally, trying to cave in your party in a dungeon, summon a big bad, etc
    - phases where if u lose/win against the NPC objectives, it changes the next part of the dungeon. If you stop them from summoning a void minion, you maybe now need to contend with them attacking you in a small room in waves, but if u dont, u fight the void boss.
    Imagine if Island Expeditions were just what they actually sold and advertised to us?

    Like - actually visiting an island and exploring it. Finding it's secrets and unlocking hidden quests and objectives.



    What we got:

    A race against time to grind the fuck out of mobs. Chain pulling to your hearts content. Oh you'll occasionally find a dude locked up and you need to find a key.

    ^That's the extent of what this design team can come up with.
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    PS - you might want to update your sig, since the player you are quoting was long ago banned for being a troll and trouble maker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    PS - you might want to spend more time researching why he's actually banned. Most of the time it's because his opinion doesn't line up with the opinions of threads he posts in and because the mods of this forum are most of the time a joke and just instantly ban people instead of actually looking at the reason.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadochi View Post
    Weren't Islands the best AP/HR at the start of 8.2? I remember guildies spamming them like crazy
    Ofc they did, its the only repearable source of ap. Still its damn little.
    If i want to level just one level on my neck. I need 135k ap. with 450ap per island thats 300 island runs... taking between 5 and 10min each thats 25-50 hours grind..
    Tbh thats too much grind for too little gain.
    "My brother thinks I'm crazy to play the same game for years. He doesn't understand. I plan to play it for the rest of my life."

  8. #48
    Seems like a fun idea.

    Now everyone knows exactly what mobs to pull and where to BL.

    I would love to get that "new feeling" when entering a dungeon each time. Having to test the waters before pulling bigger packs etc.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Imagine if Island Expeditions were just what they actually sold and advertised to us?

    Like - actually visiting an island and exploring it. Finding it's secrets and unlocking hidden quests and objectives.



    What we got:

    A race against time to grind the fuck out of mobs. Chain pulling to your hearts content. Oh you'll occasionally find a dude locked up and you need to find a key.

    ^That's the extent of what this design team can come up with.
    Yeah I'd enjoy that way more than the current iteration.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious Tea View Post
    I mean you can jerk it to the Fortnite flash in the pan all you want, but for more than a decade if the media had heard of a video game, it was from Activision/Blizzard.

    - - - Updated - - -



    It's not even that. They don't have tactics or adapt. They don't interrupt. They don't CC. They just stand there (or maybe jump like the idiots blizzards thinks its playerbase is) and cast/melee.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Fun fact: do a little googling (or read on wowhead). Almost everything in island expeditions is pretty close to guaranteed to drop (ie. sub 20 attempts), but most of them require specific island and mob combinations. So yes, it looks like that sick purple Storm dragon mount has like a 1/10,000 drop chance, but that's not true because it simply WON'T drop from most islands. You need a specific island, with a specific invasion, with a specific special extra dragon mob to spawn (which doesn't always happen in that invasion), and after a handful of times of finding that special mob you will get the mount. Every mount is like this. The pets are easier. They generally just require one specific thing instead of all three; either it has to be a certain island, or a certain mob type, or a certain invasion. Mounts require the stars aligning.

    If you're doing 2000+ islands without getting the item you want... you're simply doing ones where it's NEVER going to drop because you're not doing your research.
    Yeah, because I'm stupid. I've been doing more than 200 exploration just last week with a double pirate setting to farm Squawk but I'm not droping it because I haven't done my research. And if you had done your research, you would have known that the Island Exploration's drop chart has changed since 8.1. Now you only need to face the "family" that drops the item you're looking for to have a chance to drop it. You don't even need to kill it.

  11. #51
    Scarab Lord scarecrowz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    Yeah, because I'm stupid. I've been doing more than 200 exploration just last week with a double pirate setting to farm Squawk but I'm not droping it because I haven't done my research. And if you had done your research, you would have known that the Island Exploration's drop chart has changed since 8.1. Now you only need to face the "family" that drops the item you're looking for to have a chance to drop it. You don't even need to kill it.
    In the same breath they nerfed the fuck out of the drop rate.

    Would it kill them to let us buy any item off the entire loot table with dubloons? I mean, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    PS - you might want to update your sig, since the player you are quoting was long ago banned for being a troll and trouble maker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    PS - you might want to spend more time researching why he's actually banned. Most of the time it's because his opinion doesn't line up with the opinions of threads he posts in and because the mods of this forum are most of the time a joke and just instantly ban people instead of actually looking at the reason.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacewalrus2010 View Post
    As with the island expeditions, the "randomness" sounded good on paper, but how different does each expedition really feel?
    I think this is a valid criticism. But I think existing expeditions fail in one core aspect - the timer. An adventure shouldn't be a gimmick race to the end, where essentially you have people mass pulling mobs and AOEing them down.

    I'd rather the NPCs be more tactically challenging and an experience that unfolds at the players' own pace. Like a true expedition. Even if it means you need some down time or need to actually plan out some CC.

  13. #53
    That's actually a great idea

  14. #54
    Already leaked

    It's a 3 man scenario similar to well scenarios

    I can't remember what it was called but it's separate from dungeons

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •