Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Spirit is useless to Spriest; you only get 15% of mana regen while casting, which is basically nothing.

In vanilla most fights are really short, 3 minutes or less, and Major Mana Potion + Dark Runes are enough for that. For longer fights you just downrank your spells a little to adjust. Remember that you're not really there for your DPS, you're just there for Shadow Weaving.

As for leveling, you really don't use your damage spells all that often, you really just use SWP + wand for the most part, and you'll have almost no drinking time at all even when not stacking spirit. Lots of cloth gear will have spirit on it anyway so you don't need to worry.

I'm super experienced with vanilla Priest so if you want a giant textwall of information, just PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    2. if your planning to raid, you will not be allowed ot raid as shadow priest
    Every raid needs 1 spriest to buff the warlocks with 15% extra damage. The more warlocks you have, the stronger a shadow priest becomes in terms of overall raid damage.

Stop spreading misinformation.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post

Every raid needs 1 spriest to buff the warlocks with 15% extra damage. The more warlocks you have, the stronger a shadow priest becomes in terms of overall raid damage.

as listed earlier, healing priests can ALSO give that debuff, you dont need a shadow priest.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    You do not need a SP to place that debuff. A healing priest can do it.
    Only the most retardedly tryhard of tryhard guilds will do this. I've never EVER seen any guild use a """holy weaving""" priest, mainly because the playstyle is just dehumanizing. You're a gimped healer that has to press a damage spell every 14 seconds and pray it doesn't get resisted. Nobody wants to play that.

This level of minmaxing is NOT required in vanilla. This is like insane 0.01%-level minmaxing. Nobody does that outside of guilds pushing for server first kills or something.

as listed earlier, healing priests can ALSO give that debuff, you dont need a shadow priest.
    see above

Unless you're in some insane tryhard realm-first guild, nobody is going to use a "holy weaving" priest.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockus Maximus View Post
    Hey guys! With Classic fast approaching, I've finally narrowed down my class choice to either Shadow Priest or Feral Druid. However, while I like the concept of a Shadow Priest more, my main concern about maining one comes from all the rumors I hear about their horrible mana efficiency.

Has anyone here had any experience with Shadow Priests back in Vanilla WoW? If so, what do you think of a DPS talent build that takes Meditation from the Discipline tree and Spirit Tap in Shadow, then stacks Spirit either through gear, enchants, or both? I get that upfront damage would suffer, but if it helps to stay active throughout a longer fight, could that increase overall DPS? Also, how would recovery after a fight be affected by stacking Spirit with this build?

The idea of having to drink and be OOM all the time doesn't sound appealing to me which is one of the reasons why I'm also looking at Feral as my second choice, but if it's possible to alleviate that through talents and gear I'd be willing to give Shadow a chance.
    Out of those two classes I’d def go with priest.

Every class has its ups and downs. Just play what u think u will enjoy the most.

You beat me to it. I raided as a Shadow Priest and that buff plus vampiric embrace were always welcome.

Possibly someone who didn't know their use and rejected them?

you put warlocks with the s priest. Vampiric embrace heals lets them life trap with impunity. Far more efficient than having a healer priest do the debuff in all regards

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasuuna View Post
    you put warlocks with the s priest. Vampiric embrace heals lets them life trap with impunity. Far more efficient than having a healer priest do the debuff in all regards
    except how much shadow damage you gunna do if you cant put up any of your dots..?

Quote Originally Posted by Necromantic View Post
    You beat me to it. I raided as a Shadow Priest and that buff plus vampiric embrace were always welcome.
    Vampiric Embrace is not used in raids because it takes up a debuff slot. Warlocks can just be healed up with renew / rejuv.

except how much shadow damage you gunna do if you cant put up any of your dots..?
    ...you don't use DoTs in raid holy fucking shit lol

Thanks for confirming that you've never played vanilla, Mr. "you will not be allowed to raid as shadow priest", now shoo back to your BFA forums.

Vampiric Embrace is not used in raids because it takes up a debuff slot. Warlocks can just be healed up with renew / rejuv.

Thanks for confirming that you've never played vanilla, Mr. "nobody uses shadow priests", now shoo back to your BFA forums.
    Maybe not in your raids. We used it all the time. It was great utility.

7+ Year Old Account

Thanks for confirming that you've never played vanilla, Mr. "you will not be allowed to raid as shadow priest", now shoo back to your BFA forums.
    40 people, 8 debuff slots, no you do not have room for dots... thanks for confirming you did not play vanilla
    you literally mention debuff slots, while also saying "You didnt use dots lol"

40 people, 8 debuff slots
    Actually 16.

no you do not have room for dots... thanks for confirming you did not play vanilla
    YOU ARE THE ONE SAYING WARLOCKS SHOULD BE USING DOTS

LOL

"except how much shadow damage you gunna do if you cant put up any of your dots..? "

Your words.

10/10 troll got me to reply, welcome to the ignore list.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe not in your raids. We used it all the time. It was great utility.
    Providing a small amount of healing to 4 people is really not "great utility" for taking up an entire debuff slot.

Providing a small amount of healing to 4 people is really not "great utility" for taking up an entire debuff slot.
    Can't tell if serious...

40 people, 8 debuff slots, no you do not have room for dots... thanks for confirming you did not play vanilla
    you literally mention debuff slots, while also saying "You didnt use dots lol"
    16 starting in zg

Aq 40 was the first raid that actually requires coordination

I actually don't know if it's 16 on launch or if it will be added on the zg patch

And it's not a small amount of healing, it is a fairly substantial amount
    Last edited by Nasuuna; 2019-08-12 at 10:41 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Spirit is great for leveling, but once you get 60 you want to stack spellpower.

Most of the good spellpower gear, does not have much spirit on them, so if you want to focus more on spirit, you will sacrifice a lot of damage.
    And yes, with spirit gear you can last longer, but you will also deal a lot less damage with all the spells you cast.
    Spirit favors stopping casting to tap into the 5second rule to regen mana, but as a dps you dont have that luxury compared to healers, cause you are stopping dealing damage, which is no good.
    In addition, most fights in the early stages, are very short, so mana does not really become a issue until you get to the longer fights on the later stages.
    With proper consumable use, you should be able to last most fights without going oom, its more when you get into Naxx, that fights are so long

7+ Year Old Account
    Actually 16.

YOU ARE THE ONE SAYING WARLOCKS SHOULD BE USING DOTS

LOL

"except how much shadow damage you gunna do if you cant put up any of your dots..? "

Your words.

10/10 troll got me to reply, welcome to the ignore list.

- - - Updated - - -

I never said you can put up any dots... i literally said "how much shadow damage you gunna do IF YOU CANT PUT UP ANY OF YOUR DOTS"
    key word "cant put up dots"
    you literally qouted me and couldnt read "cant"
    it is 8 until ZG, and also vampiric embrace heals when the priest casts shadow spells, not warlocks. so mate, are you sure you know vanilla?
    So no mate, just stop, i never said warlocks can use dots, i literally said you cant use dots, and i was talking about shadow priests...
    - - - Updated - - -

16 starting in zg

Aq 40 was the first raid that actually requires coordination

I actually don't know if it's 16 on launch or if it will be added on the zg patch

And it's not a small amount of healing, it is a fairly substantial amount
    yes i know 16 in ZG but ZG will not be in phase 1 or 2.
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2019-08-12 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockus Maximus View Post
    1) Agreed. That's why I'm asking about the viability of it. Just trying to see if it's possible to avoid going OOM and drinking all the time.
    2) Don't care too much about raiding so I'll take it as it comes. If I never get into a single raid I'd be more than happy just grinding out PvP gear instead.
    3) Not sure tbh. I started in TBC so I don't know any of the Vanilla fights but I keep hearing about how Shadow runs OOM halfway through just about any boss fight in any raid and has to wand or rank 1 Mind Flay the rest of the time.

Most importantly though, I'd like to know whether the amount of drinking you have to do can be significantly reduced with enough Spirit along with the Meditation/Spirit Tap talents.
    1 If it was people would have done it back then.
    2 For pvp shadow is good and mana isn't nearly the same sort of issue due to the length of combat

Some of the issue for shadow is the complete lack of gear. Now in the best gear out there shadow didn't have the same issues people often talk about. Gear is much harder to come by in vanilla and no group is going to gear up a shadow priest when better specs will get more bang for their buck and also help on all kills the first and the last not just need to be geared to kinda help at the very end.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Can't tell if serious...
    Nice counterargument.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

To be fair you could just go the other way and downsize the warlock squad and skip Shadow Weaving all together. 1-2 warlocks are theoretically enough (skipping Curse of Shadows, obviously). No sane player actually wants to play Vanilla warlock anyway, so finding a squadron of them would be rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Denso View Post
    To be fair you could just go the other way and downsize the warlock squad and skip Shadow Weaving all together. 1-2 warlocks are theoretically enough (skipping Curse of Shadows, obviously). No sane player actually wants to play Vanilla warlock anyway, so finding a squadron of them would be rare.
    More warlocks is never a bad thing; makes summons go faster, more healthstones/soulstones, and of course plenty of banishes for certain mobs/bosses in MC.

Even with just two Warlocks, that's still roughly enough to make a Shadow Priest "break even" so to speak.
    Last edited by anon5123; 2019-08-12 at 11:49 PM.

yes i know 16 in ZG but ZG will not be in phase 1 or 2.
    They've already confirmed 16 the whole time, there will not be 8 and then 16