Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The closest I got to eating insects - for all I know - was when I found a caterpillar in my soup in a shoddy diner.

Traded it back for some crepes, so it turned out fine.

I don't mind eating bugs, as long as you can't see it's a bug. Just as I don't like my steak staring at me either. I've had 'hamburgers' made out of bugs and those are just delicious!

10+ Year Old Account
    If you've eaten cereal (normal dry stuff, oatmeal, grits, etc), rice (dry starches in general), fresh produce, even shellfish, you've eaten a bug.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    I think that's coming if you want or not, someday we will have Star Trek like replicators which produce food out of any bio mass you put into them. I don't have a problem with that, food is food.
    I saw this prediction quite a few times, in real life and online. But nobody ever explains how these replicators have managed to evade the very laws of physics.

Could I trouble you to explain how these replicators would work?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    As a bleak view of the future, will we be eating bugs out in our shipping containers with no ability to travel and families of one to none? So no families, no possessions, no means of travel and a home the size of a shipping container and a bug meal, assuming its not banned for likely being unVegan. Reminds me of the 'Welcome to 2030. I own nothing, have no privacy, and life has never been better' article from three years ago.
    John Michael Greer, James Howard Kunstler and Dmitry Orlov have all said the the same thing over the years; "Humans have to be mentally and culturally prepared to accept anything from their elites, no matter how destructive it is to them."
    ACCOUNT TERMINATED.

Better let the word burn (literally) than eat bugs or go vegan.
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

Quote Originally Posted by Vodenbog View Post
    I saw this prediction quite a few times, in real life and online. But nobody ever explains how these replicators have managed to evade the very laws of physics.

Could I trouble you to explain how these replicators would work?
    I don't mean like "poof meal out of thin air (energy)".

I think we will have some day machines that take any kind of bio mass and change it into a big pulp which later gets turned into edible stuff of variing forms. Like meat (and meat adjacent... stuff) gets ground up into a pulp that will later turn into different sausages.

Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    I don't mind eating bugs, as long as you can't see it's a bug. Just as I don't like my steak staring at me either. I've had 'hamburgers' made out of bugs and those are just delicious!
    Pretty much dis. Wonder how many of the folk here going "hell no" about eating bugs but have no problem with pink paste and other similar "icky when not in it's finished state" food items.

As long as it doesn't look like a bug i am willing to try it.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodenbog View Post
    John Michael Greer, James Howard Kunstler and Dmitry Orlov have all said the the same thing over the years; "Humans have to be mentally and culturally prepared to accept anything from their elites, no matter how destructive it is to them."
    Imagine coming home after a 10-hour shift at your soul-destroying service job and 1.45 hr commute in a poorly ventilated sardine cattle-car to your $2,300 per month shared living matchbox accommodation to wolf down your maggot-based burgers. You are single, own nothing, and have only your minecraft server..... T h e F u t u r e.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

I will eat the things that eat insects.

Never in a million years. Have you seen what bugs look like on the inside? That shit ain't exactly cleaned out before they become food. Their "blood", the organs, the eyes... everything left in there!

I don't eat insects of the ocean, I won't eat insects of the land/air. I'll go vegetarian and then vegan anytime.

I doubt there will ever be a need to go insect mode (never go full insect mode!)
    The cost of food is expected to rise a lot. Really a lot. This will affect 3rd world countries more.
    Because very very fast, people of those countries will realist they will make insanely more profit exporting the food than selling it domestically.

All the good stuff will be exported out of poor countries. They will probably have to go full insect.

That being said... I expect robotic farms to be a thing very soon and everyone with a small piece of land will be able to grow things on it.
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

7+ Year Old Account
    Imagine coming home after a 10-hour shift at your soul-destroying service job and 1.45 hr commute in a poorly ventilated sardine cattle-car to your $2,300 per month shared living matchbox accommodation to wolf down your maggot-based burgers. You are single, own nothing, and have only your minecraft server..... T h e F u t u r e.
    You shouldn't put much stock into predictions or imaginings of the future, nobody can see into it to any significant extent. Also, if you think that society or the human experience will most likely get worse then why did you have a kid, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    You shouldn't put much stock into predictions or imaginings of the future, nobody can see into it to any significant extent. Also, if you think that society or the human experience will most likely get worse then why did you have a kid, lol.
    I do see it similar to @Theodarzna

I will have children so that I can raise them to be changers of their future. Since I do not believe anyone active in politics today will do it. I just hope it's not going to be too late by then.

On the topic of bugs.

Blerggg.... disgusting.
    I'd still eat it if left with no choice.

You're about as bad as Kokolums is with his constant talks of an imminent Civil War 2: Electric Boogaloo.

I don't see a problem with using insects for food, the biggest draw seems to be efficiency with regard to space, energy, water and feed. As long as it tastes okay I'll be happy to sub out meat or quorn/tofu for crickets or whatever in a few meals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    You're about as bad as Kokolums is with his constant talks of an imminent Civil War 2: Electric Boogaloo.
    Not even close ... Kokolums actually takes himself seriously

he even puts his own quotes as his signature

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Civil War 2, eh, the sequel will be super lame. They always are.

And no, I don't think that's coming.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

There's an insect eatery at St. David's in Wales (trivia - it's Britain's smallest city by population, even smaller than the City of London) which I keep meaning to check out when I holiday there.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FL4K View Post
    Not even close ... Kokolums actually takes himself seriously
    Excuse me are you saying someone with a Belle Delphine avatar is anything other than the pinnacle of seriousness?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    There's an insect eatery at St. David's in Wales (trivia - it's Britain's smallest city by population, even smaller than the City of London) which I keep meaning to check out when I holiday there.
    But they speak a dialect of Welsh there that isn't my dialect, Northern Welsh or GET OUT!, Nah, I respect the southern half. They're alright people.