Thread: Shipping a PC

Shipping a PC

My ex-wife and I decided we are going to play Classic together. She is in Japan right now, so I ordered the parts and assembled her pc here in the US. I'm going to ship it to her, bur wasn't sure the best way to package it. Would it be fine to just ship the entire thing pre-assembled, or would it be better to remove the graphics card, cpu cooler, other things that could bounce around and potentially get/cause damage?
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

Field Marshal
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Piglord View Post
    My ex-wife and I decided we are going to play Classic together. She is in Japan right now, so I ordered the parts and assembled her pc here in the US. I'm going to ship it to her, bur wasn't sure the best way to package it. Would it be fine to just ship the entire thing pre-assembled, or would it be better to remove the graphics card, cpu cooler, other things that could bounce around and potentially get/cause damage?
    If you really want to ship it with all the things connected you should look into filling it up with something to keep them in place that your ex-wife can pull out when she's received it. Lacking that, don't ship it with everything connected.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fill it with expandable foam, or some other support structure to keep it in place. If you can't do that, pull out the GPU, RAM, and CPU cooler (unless you're using an AiO) and then ship them next to it in a layer of foam or similar. Also, if it has hard drives, you need to be super careful with those, they're surprisingly fragile.

If your using the stock cooler just pull the gpu,then lay a couple of lint free towels over the interior and put the gpu flat between them,you should fill the cavity then put the side back on,it should be fine to ship at that point, if it has a tower cooler you need to pull it before you ship it.

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    FWIW the computer case i bought came pretty well packaged reuse that if possible... Add extra foam where needed. I wouldn't install the GPU keep it seperate... If you want ultra packaging... Package the Box inside of another Box with packaging foam or bubbles around it gives you a ton of protection for not much added cost. Essentially then the PC will have the packaging around it in the box its in + extra packaging in the outer box.

Go all of the extra miles when shipping a pc and make sure you you fill the inside with support and cushioning for the gpu and anything else, wrap the outside in protective material then put it in a wooden shipping crate to the size of the tower, even wrap said crate up.

I say all this because i paid UPS to pack and ship my pc for me and watched them do it and when i got it in the mail the box was beat to hell, the tower cracked, and caved in on itself, monitor was busted. I paid for insurance and faught for months and was ultimately told to go F myself.

I got it shipped. I still had all the boxes for the components. I left the memory, and processor on the board. The case had pretty good mounting for the ssd, so left that in too. I put the tower in its original box with some extra padding. Boxed up the gpu, and aio also in their original boxes. I know someone said it would be ok for the aio, but I was concerned that all the bouncing around may be rough on the tubing. I'd hate for it to get there and there be a puddle of liquid in her case. I put all these in a larger box with layers of padding in between the boxes. I also sent a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, and a headset. All in their original boxes. Used peanuts to fill around everything. Didn't think of a wooden crate. We will see in a few days how good I did.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Piglord View Post
    I got it shipped.
    I know it was too late by the time you made the thread but why didn't you just have one built over there instead of wasting all this money on shipping an customs?

Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    I know it was too late by the time you made the thread but why didn't you just have one built over there instead of wasting all this money on shipping an customs?
    It was a lot easier to get all the parts and peripherals here. Plus it was cheaper.