10+ Year Old Account

Question Help with setup of case fans.

I've build a lot of PC's over the years, but one thing I am an idiot at is case fans, intake and push direction etc.

So I plan to get this: Case Lian-Li. This winter for my next upgrade.
    I will be getting the NZXT X62 Rev.2 water-cooling for the CPU.

Now what would be the optimal setup for Case Fans, which would be the best case fans to get. And how should they be placed(including radiator).
    I would prefer a max of 40£ per case fan. The lower the better but not too cheap that it sacrifices performance. I.e. good value for money.

The case has space for:
    Front: 120 mm x 3 or 140 mm x 2.
    Top: 120 mm x 3 or 140 mm x 2
    Rear: 120 mm x 1
    Bottom: 120 mm x 2

Radiator can either be placed in top or front.

Thanks in advance.
    p.s. I live in a area without air-conditioner.
    Summer is up to 30 Celsius.
    Winter is down to -15 Celsius.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't have experience with the case personally, but I'd put rad in the front and get some noctua fans for the top/back for exhaust. If the case comes with any, but them in the bottom pulling air in, and then use psu as an exhaust too.

Edit: scratch the last part, didn't see the shroud.. Using psu as exhaust doesn't look like it'll be possible, so am confused why there is bottom mounting options for fans

Pretty sure 40 pounds per case fan is massive overkill, even some of the best go for around 20-25e here, so 40 pounds, how the fuck

Even so, i like the be quiet Silent Wings fans myself, default black, actually silent depending whether you go 1.4k rpm or 2.2k rpm etc, and the High Speed choice cant really be heard, but you can hear the air sometimes

But to reality, living in a country where our summer is 38-42C and our winter is barely -1C in the majority (Apart from the random -10C last year, planet is dying yo), room ambient temperature is more important than any case fan, dont waste too much money.

So i have come to accept that after the basic setup of input/exhaust, "airflow" is the biggest scam in PC building, especially some dumb ass reviews in some north country/area where they test in 20C ambient temperature and 6 fan setups and get magical results, well fucking duh.

I dont remember where i read it, but there was a dude that did multiple tests with case fans/big expensive cases and smaller shit cases etc, his end result was that you can place the fans however the fuck you want, 200$ case vs 30$ case, and the difference was 5C, and that mostly because the smaller cases obviously have more heat since everything is tight together rather the actual fan placement doing shit all.

So for the average user, its all a waste of money, do whatever the fuck you want, unless you OC at insane levels and work your CPU 24/7 at that load, its all irrelevant.

On the actual note about your case, you have a 1070 that works at what at proper load? 65C?

So if you are looking to change CPU to a more multicore oriented in the future, and OC also which you probably will i would suggest a front radiator setup with dual exhaust at top and the back one obviously, although that might create a vacuum dont remember :O, that way the GPU wont be increasing the back of the radiator on hotter days, while the exhaust fans will probably be pulling the air out from around the CPU area.

Hey, could be wrong, but turning on my A/C is the best case fan i have after the basic setup obviously.
    Last edited by potis; 2019-08-13 at 09:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Don't have experience with the case personally, but I'd put rad in the front and get some noctua fans for the top/back for exhaust. If the case comes with any, but them in the bottom pulling air in, and then use psu as an exhaust too.

Edit: scratch the last part, didn't see the shroud.. Using psu as exhaust doesn't look like it'll be possible, so am confused why there is bottom mounting options for fans
    Yeah I was slightly confused about that as well. Ignoring the guy below.

So basically Radiator in front. With the Radiator fans set for intake.
    So something like this: (my awesome paint skills)

Which Fans to you recommend. For each spot?
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saphyron View Post
    Yeah I was slightly confused about that as well. Ignoring the guy below.

So basically Radiator in front. With the Radiator fans set for intake.
    So something like this: (my awesome paint skills)

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/HQ9JqEY.png[IMG]
    Which Fans to you recommend. For each spot?
    Highest performance quietest fans you can get. For Radiators that's probably Noctua NF-F14. For the other slots I'd go with either NF-A12's, or be quiet! Silentwing 3's depending on what's cheaper in your area.

The fans that come with the rad are okay, you can keep those if you want to save a bit of money. There is also nowhere for the airflow from the bottom fans to go from what I can see though, except maybe out the right side? You can probably save the money and not put any fans there, as it just looks like it'll cool drives, which don't really need any active airflow unless you're torturing them
    Last edited by Temp name; 2019-08-13 at 02:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Highest performance quietest fans you can get. For Radiators that's probably Noctua NF-F14. For the other slots I'd go with either NF-A12's, or be quiet! Silentwing 3's depending on what's cheaper in your area.

The fans that come with the rad are okay, you can keep those if you want to save a bit of money. There is also nowhere for the airflow from the bottom fans to go from what I can see though, except maybe out the right side? You can probably save the money and not put any fans there, as it just looks like it'll cool drives, which don't really need any active airflow unless you're torturing them
    Thank you. This will definitely help. Will be bookmarking this page so I can bring it up when winter arrives.

- - - Updated - - -

For the other slots I'd go with either NF-A12's, or be quiet! Silentwing 3's depending on what's cheaper in your area.
    Also I think I will go with be quiet! SilentWings 3. One because they are cheaper, and two because they fit the colour scheme much better than Noctua's does.

This is the build as it is right now.
    Will be changing the Reference Card of the 5700 XT to a 3 Fan version released by gigabyte.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (£314.95 @ AWD-IT)
    CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£130.00 @ AWD-IT)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard (£208.93 @ Box Limited)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£166.99 @ Aria PC)
    Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£79.34 @ CCL Computers)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Video Card (£393.08 @ More Computers)
    Case: Lian-Li LANCOOL ONE Digital ATX Mid Tower Case (£94.99 @ AWD-IT)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 650 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£110.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Case Fan: be quiet! SilentWings 3 PWM 50.5 CFM 120 mm Fan (£16.78 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £1565.87
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-13 15:28 BST+0100

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you. This will definitely help. Will be bookmarking this page so I can bring it up when winter arrives.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I think I will go with be quiet! SilentWings 3. One because they are cheaper, and two because they fit the colour scheme much better than Noctua's does.

This is the build as it is right now.
    Will be changing the Reference Card of the 5700 XT to a 3 Fan version released by gigabyte.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (£314.95 @ AWD-IT)
    CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£130.00 @ AWD-IT)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard (£208.93 @ Box Limited)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£166.99 @ Aria PC)
    Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£79.34 @ CCL Computers)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Video Card (£393.08 @ More Computers)
    Case: Lian-Li LANCOOL ONE Digital ATX Mid Tower Case (£94.99 @ AWD-IT)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 650 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£110.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Total: £1565.87
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-13 15:28 BST+0100
    Just to be entirely sure you know, the SSD you chose is running at SATA speeds, so you're paying ~8 pounds over a standard 2.5" version for no performance gain.
    Aside from that (and the overkill amount of RAM) it looks fine

And yeah, apparently Noctua haven't released NF-A12's in black yet like they have with the A14's or F12's (They're called Chromax)
    Last edited by Temp name; 2019-08-13 at 02:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just to be entirely sure you know, the SSD you chose is running at SATA speeds, so you're paying ~8 pounds over a standard 2.5" version for no performance gain.
    Aside from that (and the overkill amount of RAM) it looks fine

And yeah, apparently Noctua haven't released NF-A12's in black yet like they have with the A14's or F12's (They're called Chromax)
    Due to workload I am currently hitting 16 GB of Ram Usage quite often. So its time to upgrade that.

Tired of having many cables. (also over looked that will be putting in the 970 evo instead) + I am reusing the 1 TB 2.5 SSD from my current system and selling the rest.
    Will upgrade with another M2 SSD Summer 2020 which will be a 1 or 2 TB variant.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/sap...d/#view=gRmBZL updated list.
    Last edited by Saphyron; 2019-08-13 at 05:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would put the radiator at the top instead of the front. Front would give lower temps for the cpu.
    But with the 5700 xt blower card already running really hot it will need any fresh air it can get. With the radiator in the front you would feed it warmer air making it even hotter.
    The radiator would not suffer all too much because the gpu is a blower card so it blows the hot air out of the case instead of inside it.

So I would go 3 in front, radiator on top and a low cfm in the rear to prevent hot air from the gpu to be sucked back in by the rads.

EDIT: just saw that you are going with a 3 fan gpu now so ignore what I said.
    Last edited by Shadowater; 2019-08-13 at 04:19 PM.
    MSI GTX 970 - MSI Z170A Gaming M7 - Intel Core i7 6700k @ 4.6GHz - 32GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz - 500GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO - 1TB WD HDD

10+ Year Old Account
    Due to workload I am currently hitting 16 GB of Ram Usage quite often. So its time to upgrade that.

Tired of having many cables. (also over looked that will be putting in the 970 evo instead) + I am reusing the 1 TB 2.5 SSD from my current system and selling the rest.
    Will upgrade with another M2 SSD Summer 2020 which will be a 1 or 2 TB variant.
    Ah okay, that's all pretty decent reasoning for component selection.