Page 1 of 19
... LastLast

A Warhammer 40,000 live-action television series is in the works

Oh yes another one like the witcher serie on netflix, a warhammer 40k one is in the works and not the angels of death one that's also coming this one will be about Gregor Eisenhorn: Inquisitor of the Ordo Xenos, ( or alien hunters if you like) Ordo Xenos sounds much more badass though.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...mepage-post-2/
    https://www.pcgamer.com/a-warhammer-...-in-the-works/

The series development is being led by Frank Spotnitz, who has previously worked on shows such as Man in the High Castle and The X-Files for which he shares 3 Golden Globes!

Here’s what he had to say about the project:

“We are delighted to collaborate with Games Workshop to develop the beloved visionary world of Warhammer 40,000 into a TV series. Warhammer 40,000 is steeped in rich and complex lore, with a myriad of traditions and stories that have accumulated over time in this thrilling and complex world, making it one of the most exciting properties to adapt for television audiences and the franchise’s loyal global fanbase. There is nothing else like it on television, and we are incredibly excited to tap into our own experience creating imaginative, complex and compelling worlds to bring this incredible saga to the screen.”

The show promises a blend of fantasy, sci-fi, and crime drama as it follows Inquisitor Gregor Eisenhorn and his team of investigators, who work to uncover the schemes of "aliens, heretics, and daemons" who seek to destroy the teetering Imperium of Mankind.

"Gregor Eisenhorn is a relentless force in the dark future of the Warhammer universe: A destroyer of daemons and a purger of heretics, implacable, powerful and dedicated," Dan Abnett, author of the novels on which the series will be based, said.

Eisenhorn is, of course, a character who has been explored in detail by New York Times bestselling author Dan Abnett across a series of novels. Here’s what Dan had to say when we told him:

“Gregor Eisenhorn is a relentless force in the Dark Future of the Warhammer universe: a destroyer of daemons and a purger of heretics, implacable, powerful and dedicated. But the appeal to me, from the moment I started writing him, was his complexity. He is not the simple, ruthless hero he appears to be. His battle with the Warp leads him into dark places and forces him to question his duty, his understanding of the Imperium, and his own identity. With Eisenhorn, it’s not just the adventures, and they are certainly vivid: it’s the journey he takes to the very limits of what he is and what it means to be loyal.”

So what do you think, you think it will be good?

Well see im hyped though for everything 40k, there is also like i said another one called angels of death that's coming to netflix too later so 2 projects now on the way about 40k, good thing some people see the potential in 40k series i just hope they are good so people will make more.

Dan Abnett btw cant go wrong there that guy is a genius when it comes to writing. Also think Eisenhorn is a great way to start. Perhaps we will get a full blown horus herecy serie later

Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2019-07-31 at 08:39 PM.
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nervous anticipation is building.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawu View Post
    Nervous anticipation is building.
    Makes me wonder what kind of actors they will hire, not many i can see screaming for the emperor or burn the heretics but maby they surprise me

How easy is it for a newbie to get into?
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

>live-action

could have just said it'll be shit and left it at that, op.

warcraft movie, warhammer series, whatever. if it's live-action, it'll be shit due to shitty cgi and every goddamned newer actor today looking like 14 year olds.

Quote Originally Posted by JonTargaryen View Post
    There is around 500 novels but the horus herecy is what most people recommend new people, that or the gaunt's ghost serie. There is also tons and tons of lore videos on youtube.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Get ready for Starship Troopers fascism controversy episode 2 as normies will miss the point of the Empire so hard.
    Haha true.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    >live-action

warcraft movie, warhammer series, whatever. if it's live-action, it'll be shit due to shitty cgi and every goddamned newer actor today looking like 14 year olds.
    Yeah i have my doubts but well see. There is also the animated Angels of Death coming, Seems like a good producer on the show though. And we all know Dan Abnett is amazing so dont think the story will be shit.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2019-07-31 at 08:35 PM.

I'm... curiously looking forward to this. I think they picked a good starting point with taking a human protagonist, not a Space Marine, because I somewhat doubt they'll find someone suited for that role... and the budget would skyrocket. Also they picked a good producer.

If they get the guy behind the Astartes videos to do the special effects, that would be amazing. He nailed it.

I'd recommend Gaunt's Ghosts for a newbie because the 40k is somewhat toned down in it. It's a tale of military comradeship and the hardships of underdogs. It gradually introduces you to 40k on a mortal level, because all of the protagonists are just humans. You get to see everyday life in the Imperium first. Most other novels, including the Horus Heresy, presume that you already know a lot about it.

Also, Gaunts Ghosts are written by Dan Abnett, in my opinion, the best writer employed by GW.

- - - Updated - - -

Get ready for Starship Troopers fascism controversy episode 2 as normies will miss the point of the Empire so hard.
    Empire are the guys in Star Wars. It's the Imperium
    Last edited by Skulltaker; 2019-07-18 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    I'd reccomend Gaunt'S Ghosts for a newbie, because the 40k is somewhat toned down in it. It's a tale of military comradeship and the hardships of underdogs. Id gradually introduces you to 40k on a mortal level, because all of the pprotagonists are just humans. You get to see everyday life in the Imperium first. Most other novels, including the Horus Heresy, presume that you already know a lot about it.

Also, Gaunts Ghosts are written by Dan Abnett, in my opinion, the best writer employed by GW.

- - - Updated - - -

Empire are the guys in Star Wars. It's the Imperium
    And what he said

Shit, I mixed up my fascist power blocks.

The guy who made the Astartes videos is a goddamn legend.

- - - Updated - - -

For those who have not seen the Astartes animations.

I'd probably cry of joy if there would exist a full length wh40k movie made by this guy.
    The Astartes guy is just insane, the amount of detail and not just that but the sound is top notch too and you know he knows his lore too, makes them all by himself too. Someone just gotta hire that guy after this serie.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2019-07-18 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    >live-action

Pretty much this.

Read any book series by Dan Abnett. I'd recommend that you either start with Gaunt's Ghosts or Eisenhorn. You can jump into them without any prior knowledge of the setting.

The Inquisitor saga, starting with the Eisenhorn trilogy is about Gregor Eisenhorn, an inquisitor who is a specialized agent sent to deal with individual but extremely dangerous threats, such as heretics who wield dangerous artifacts or rogue psykers. He is accompanied by operative Elizabeth Bequin, and an assortment of side characters who team up with him on his missions. This trilogy leads into the Ravenor trilogy, which is about his apprentice Gideon Ravenor, and it shares a lot of the same characters. This leads into the final trilogy, the Bequin trilogy, which features pretty much every character who survived that far, but I won't say more as I don't want to spoil the saga. The Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies were collected into Omnibus editions (big books that contain all three books in a trilogy). Don't be intimidated by the size; they're pretty light reads. The Inquisitor saga is my favorite story set in the Warhammer 40k universe and is my first recommendation.

Gaunt's Ghosts follows a regiment of the Imperial Guard (normie men drafted into the imperial military) who lost their homeworld of Tanith. They become a mix of people from various worlds and origins. They fight the ground war against the Imperium's enemies, primarily the forces of Chaos but they also fight other aliens like the Necrons here and there. The main character is an Imperial Commissar, Ibram Gaunt, who tries to inspire his troops as he plans their strategy, while Colonel Corbec leads the forces in battle. There are a lot of characters, so sometimes it can feel like it's meandering when the POV switches to some side character you weren't really paying attention to. It also doesn't have the heart of the Inquisitor saga. Nevertheless, it's still pretty good.

The premiss is easy, its a grim dark science fiction universe there magic and demons exist, and its up to the Inquisition to stop the demons from corrupt/destroy the imperium by using all necessary means.

To truly understand it as a newbie, hell no. The setting is overlodead with lore that explaine why the universe look like it dose. like "the dark age of technology" "the birth of slaanesh" "the emperor of mankind" "the imperial truth" "the Horus Heresy"

Last edited by Fantomen; 2019-07-18 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    follows a regiment of the Imperial Guard (normie men drafted into the imperial military) who lost their homeworld of Tanith. They become a mix of people from various worlds and origins. They fight the ground war against the Imperium's enemies, primarily the forces of Chaos but they also fight other aliens like the Necrons here and there.
    Quick correction, that's Ciaphas Cain. The xenos GG deals with are Orks in one short story, Craftworld Eldar in the 2nd book, Xeno mercs called Loxatl in a number of novels and like one Dark Eldar assassin.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Whilst I love WH40K and Dan Abnett's Black Library novels, A live action WH40k series at this point in time sounds like it will be a fucking mess. Far too much PC bullshit these days that won't allow a WH40K story actually be true to it's roots.

Calling it now, some spastics will be like "HURR DURR THEY IS GLORIFYING DA FASCISSMMMS!!!"

Hmm.. A tv show based on the Eisenhorn novels could be good.

Really easy or really hard, depending on where you start. The Eisenhorn trilogy is a great read, and something i'd recommend to anyone, even to people who are not really into 40k. It's a compelling story, with interesting characters, drama, and action. Throughout the trilogy, you'll also get exposed to many facets of the 40k universe. The Inquisition, the imperial guard, heretics in all shapes, loyal marines, heretic marines, assassins, blanks, psykers, demons, etc etc. I think it's a great starting point, and it also exists as an audiobook if one isn't much of a reader.

OT: I really, really hope they don't fuck this up. I've been hoping for an Eisenhorn adaptation since i first read the book. I also hope they give my boys duncan and peachy cameos.
    Slightly more unrealistic wishlisting: I hope they cast Mark Strong as Eisenhorn.
    Last edited by Thelyron; 2019-07-18 at 10:18 AM.

Start with the most fucked up future you can imagine, now multiply it by a billion and your good to go.

It's Fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darkener View Post
    If you've never worked with Orthodox Jews then you have no idea how dirty they are. Yes, they are very dirty and I don't mean just hygiene
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    most of the rioters were racist black people with a personal hatred for white people, and it was those bigots who were in fact the primary force engaged in the anarchistic and lawless behavior in Charlottesville.

This is fantastic news. I've read everything from Abnett and I absolutely loved Eisenhorn.

Yes compare to the Terran Federation of Starship Troopers, the Imperium really are fascists. Burn the heretic! Kill the mutant! Purge the unclean! for the Emperor!
    Last edited by Fantomen; 2019-07-18 at 10:31 AM.

Haha yeah i wonder how the wider audiences in 2019 can handle a narrative about extreme xenophobic purging and extreme violence?

We'll find out