View Poll Results: Will you buy gold in Classic?

Voters
137. This poll is closed
  • No, goldsellers/goldbuyers are cancer

109 79.56%
  • Yes, my time is valuable

28 20.44%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    While I don't typically condone gold buying, I can 100% see why someone would do it in today's world.

15 years ago, most of us were younger with a lot more free time. While I myself most likely will not buy gold, I can see why someone would.
    The hours of farming that used to be worth while back then can seem like a pointless thing now.

I can almost guarantee that all of us while farming in vanilla at some point said, "Damn, I wish I didn't have to do this and just had the gold."
    Buying gold was a lot harder and more..."Sketchy" back then as well.

Knowing you can "Skip" hours of killing the same mob over and over and over and over for hours does have a nice appeal.
    Also, no, I personally don't think having to farm mobs for hours makes for a good thing. I felt the same when I had to do it in vanilla.
    Selling myself out below

Quote Originally Posted by Grahamington View Post
    While I don't typically condone gold buying, I can 100% see why someone would do it in today's world.

15 years ago, most of us were younger with a lot more free time. While I myself most likely will not buy gold, I can see why someone would.
    The hours of farming that used to be worth while back then can seem like a pointless thing now.

I can almost guarantee that all of us while farming in vanilla at some point said, "Damn, I wish I didn't have to do this and just had the gold."
    Buying gold was a lot harder and more..."Sketchy" back then as well.

Knowing you can "Skip" hours of killing the same mob over and over and over and over for hours does have a nice appeal.
    Also, no, I personally don't think having to farm mobs for hours makes for a good thing. I felt the same when I had to do it in vanilla.
    This is the logic behind paid character boosts tho lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    This is the logic behind paid character boosts tho lol
    I agree and disagree. Level boosting is taking away from learning the whole game and learning how to play an MMO.
    Gold farming is more a mindless task that takes little to no effort, just your time.
    Selling myself out below

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    I guess, just seems odd he would want to power thru to max profession, fastest mount, good weapon, and even Carrie's thru raids. Once you spend real money amd get that done, what's the point? Just raid log?
    Pwn noobs in bgs.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree and disagree. Level boosting is taking away from learning the whole game and learning how to play an MMO.
    Gold farming is more a mindless task that takes little to no effort, just your time.
    Pretty sure most people learn how to play from a boosted 60 quicker than it takes for someone to lvl it and learning.

I don't see why anyone would buy raid boosts in Vanilla. The odds of getting any decent gear are pretty low. If it's a really great piece, then it will be excluded from any deal.

Now that we know how to farm gold more easily, I think making gold won't be much of an issue.

Exactly. This is also why I completely understand gold buying. I did it couple times also back in the day, though there has been no need for it in a long time.

Keep in mind that if you get banned from classic for buying gold, the ban will likely extend to retail as well, in case you care.

Buying carries will happen after a while (6 months?) since it takes some time before a raid team is geared when the bosses drpp 2 items in a 40man raid.

But a much more cancerous thing will be item reserves in pugs - expect 80%+ groups to have stuff reserved. Then again the remaining 20% might be a giant pool of groups with 50k pop on a realm.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihsatakar View Post
    Buying gold is still bannable even if you can "legally" buy it through tokens.
    I've never heard of someone being banned strictly for buying gold. It's impossible for Blizzard to prove and even if the gold was stolen by a hacker they can't ban you for that because you didn't hack the account for the gold. The only reason gold is legally purchasable now is because Blizzard wanted in on those profits.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    But a much more cancerous thing will be item reserves in pugs - expect 80%+ groups to have stuff reserved. Then again the remaining 20% might be a giant pool of groups with 50k pop on a realm.
    pugs will be stupid anyway, with raid ids ill be amazed if anyone but alts pug, the problem with raid ids and pugging? you can get booted from the raid and be fucked for the rest of the week. locked to that raid. so you kinda need to be joining groups that won't randomly kick you half way through the run for their friend or whatever. pugging largely didn't work that well in classic because you needed to trust the ppl to stay in the raid, getting replacements isn't easy if the raid is half cleared, and you need to trust that the raid leader isn't going to boot you on a whim.

then you had the problem of not clearing a run in one raid, while anyone who is saved to that raid can continue that id, ie steal that raid id and finish it. anyone that was in that raid and has that id can carry it on.

because of this pugging just did not do so well, there were pugs ofc, but a robust pugging scene there was not. too much trust issues.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2019-08-15 at 02:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would word the options less harshly, since I don't think they're cancer, but I do have a negative opinion of gold buying in Classic, as it encourages good sellers, who most often get the gold they sell by hijacking accounts. As such I very much will not be buying it, regardless of if this puts me at a disadvantage. My principles are more important than in-game currency with no real world value.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

I'm an adult with kids. It's much more "time efficient" for me to spend $10-20 on some gold/currency, than it is to spend 10-20 hours farming that same amount. If it allows me to enjoy the game more, I will gladly partake in that "taboo" area of the gaming world. Considering I'm not 16-24 years old with no responsibilities, it's a no brainier for me, and most of my friends also do this. For me, the wow token was one of the best things they did. Although, money in WoW comes easy enough at this point. But other games, not so much. Looking at you PoE and FFXIV.

I dunno

i dont feel like grinding is part of the game... its basicly old skool gating
    wow isnt really pay to win, gold gets you pots/mount/some boe's maby thats it

and i didnt study hard during classic for nothing... then i had sea's of time but almost no money, now its the otherway around
    so yeah i rather spend some money so i can spend the time i have doing something i want in game instead of doing something i must in game.
    will i risk my account for it... def not, so it depends on the risk lvl. luckely i know alot of mages that are poor in rl so thats lower risk.. (gamecard vs 1k gold stuff)

also if/when classic becomes a moderate succes you can damn well expect actiblizz to do cross promotions incl tokens/transfers/60boosts/old skool mounts in the eshop incl riding skill. buy legion (current is called legion right?) get a free boost in vanilla to 30-60 and even the dreaded buy a 60 boost
    download bnet app and reactivate account, get 50% of legion etc etc

keep in mind... they are a company this isnt fanservice from old skool blizz employee's with love... its all about the money and keeping the investors happy

also let's not kid ourself, goldspammers where there day1 on vanilla and every, EVERY hcore guild back then bought gold. this isnt gonna be you log in 10mins for raid and have 1 flask and 1 elixer to be set. i remember grinding mats for multiple pots, demonic runes , mats for flasks, then go to dm for a tribute run for the buffs, then portal to og and log out. then log in 10mins for raid for rend/ony buff, to mass fly to felwood for songflowerbuff, to hs to karghat AND THEN RAID FOR 80MINS... each week! (bwl is even shorter , naxx will take around 2hours)

raiding classic is about the trash not about some boss that has 1-2 dull mechanics. all these guilds currently recruiting with their hcore 4times a week 4hours raids are kidding themself... 2 days of 3hours is more then enough to clear everything at a decent pace... the trick is well the pre raid time grinds ppl do

and yeah gold will reduce that pre raid time grind

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    OP just trolling.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by iosdeveloper View Post
    I never bought gold, leveling, arena boosts or raid boosts in the past.
    Now that i'm an adult, have very little free time and a ton of cash, I guess i'll buy gold for an epic mount, engineering, Arcanite Reaper and enchants. Maybe i'll buy MC runs until I get a purple two-hander.
    By all means do. People like you on FFXIV have made me over 1k euros in the span of a few months.
    (Before you start hating I dont sell gold nor do I bot. I sell content runs to nooblets)

first time i bought gold was to get my vanillia epic mount.. did it a few other times but always used a throw away account and funneled the money over to my main account.

if i was playing classic and blizz sold tokens or something similar i'd buy gold in a heart beat.. via farmers idk maybe?
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    "My time is valuable" is not an argument when you talk about playing videogames, especially mmorpg
    It's actually one of the most Valid. It's why I don't care if Boosts exist in some games since I know myself, sometimes I'd rather pay the $15-20 rather than grind for 12+ hrs. If what I can make in an hour at Work is more than a boost, I often will just take the boost since I have other things to also spend my time doing.

FFXIV for one, I could spend hours grinding out Dungeons or PoTD/HoH to lvl from 1-70. Or I could spend $15 and save the time and get back to the content I want to enjoy for the few hours I have off for the night after Work.

Time is Money, Friend.

I will absolutely be buying gold as soon as its available for my mounts, skill ups, professions, and any other misc. things to get me into raiding/pvp faster. And no one can stop me

I will be really happy when i see you whinning here in like 2 months that you were banned for 'no reason'.
    If you want to buy everything there is even no point of playing Classic.
    Last edited by Mendzia; 2019-08-15 at 02:59 PM.

Nothing wrong with buying gold. I used to do it a lot when I was younger. However, boosts are no good. Stay away from that.

I am definitely one that believes a little gold buying doesn't hurt.

I also have nothing wrong with buying and selling accounts besides the fact it is against ToC.