Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    It seems to be pretty far away from Denmark to consider it in their backyard. Appears to be about the same distance to the US. But anyway, so Greenland is like one of our states? We can not sell one of our states, as they are part of the Union which makes up the US.

Looked it up. 1,822 miles from Greenland to Denmark and 2,128 miles to Maine, US.
    It is a way of speaking. As for the backyard comment was more Greenland Vs. the last isles we sold to the US. Even so, doesn't change the fact that Trump was told no by Greenland, and then has the absurd thought that he could just go to Denmark and ask.

Greenland is not one of our 'states', unlike your states who has to follow POTUS, Greenland doesn't have to follow the Danish government, they wish to follow the Danish Kingdom. So, if a sale was to be done, the US would need to talk to Greenland - Greenland said no (I guess because of the mess they still haven't cleaned up).
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    It is a way of speaking. As for the backyard comment was more Greenland Vs. the last isles we sold to the US. Even so, doesn't change the fact that Trump was told no by Greenland, and then has the absurd thought that he could just go to Denmark and ask.

Greenland is not one of our 'states', unlike your states who has to follow POTUS, Greenland doesn't have to follow the Danish government, they wish to follow the Danish Kingdom. So, if a sale was to be done, the US would need to talk to Greenland - Greenland said no (I guess because of the mess they still haven't cleaned up).
    A country selling itself makes no sense in the first place. How would that even work? Where does the money go?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    A country selling itself makes no sense in the first place. How would that even work? Where does the money go?
    That is a good question. Divided among the below 60.000 citizens? Even more so, would Trump have expected them to honor him like they do the Danish Queen? Does Trump want to be the new Queen of Greenland?
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post

I do not know. If you have something I want and you are not willing to sell it, I might not want to visit you if you didn't. I do not consider this a big deal.

So Greenland can tell Denmark, they want to be a independent country and Denmark would say, ok?
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    I do not know. If you have something I want and you are not willing to sell it, I might not want to visit you if you didn't. I do not consider this a big deal.

So Greenland can tell Denmark, they want to be a independent country and Denmark would say, ok?
    That is correct, Greenland could be independent tomorrow it they wanted too. But they don't, because being part of the Kingdom of Denmark is all benefit and no cost. They are not owned by Denmark (Jutland), they are simply part of the same nation. So they don't have the thing Trump wants to buy, it is like refusing to visit Georgia because they aren't welling to sell you New Hampshire.

The main point is this as an absolutely abysmal way to treat an ally. He asked for an invite, they offered one and went through all the trouble to set up a state visit for him. Then he canceled because of an insane reason he thought up, and is currently throwing schoolyard insults at them on twitter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    That is correct, Greenland could be independent tomorrow it they wanted too. But they don't, because being part of the Kingdom of Denmark is all benefit and no cost. They are not owned by Denmark (Jutland), they are simply part of the same nation. So they don't have the thing Trump wants to buy, it is like refusing to visit Georgia because they aren't welling to sell you New Hampshire.

The main point is this as an absolutely abysmal way to treat an ally. He asked for an invite, they offered one and went through all the trouble to set up a state visit for him. Then he canceled because of an insane reason he thought up, and is currently throwing schoolyard insults at them on twitter.
    Yep. It is Trump acting like.....himself.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Yep. It is Trump acting like.....himself.
    Beyond willingness by all parties involved, if we weren't trillions of dollars in debt then perhaps it would seem like a wiser consideration. But we are, and Greenland's mineral prospects are dubious at best, so recoup of costs seems like a risky gamble.

10+ Year Old Account

Is it a common American thing to expect something to be for sale when there has been no hint of it? And if Greenland wanted to be 100% free of Denmark, all they have to do is ask - but they have more benefits being part of the Kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post

7+ Year Old Account

Of course, since you consider his racism and anti-semitism not a big deal, it’s obvious that you think acting like a child and throwing a hissy fit at one of our allies isn’t a big deal.

Anything to get your imaginary tax cut and GUNS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Beyond willingness by all parties involved, if we weren't trillions of dollars in debt then perhaps it would seem like a wiser consideration. But we are, and Greenland's mineral prospects are dubious at best, so recoup of costs seems like a risky gamble.
    We both know Trump could not just buy Greenland with tax dollars all on his own. And it is not going to happen anyway. This whole thing is only getting the attention it has because of Trump. But buying land is a part of the US history. So in reality, not a new concept.

But I do agree with your reasons. The US can not afford it at this time and it is a big risk.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2019-08-22 at 01:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    We both know Trump could not just buy Greenland with tax dollars all on his own. And it is not going to happen anyway. This whole thing is only getting the attention it has because of Trump. But buying land is a part of the US history. So in reality, not a new concept.
    Buying a whole country is unheard off, how do you buy greenland from greenland? Where will the money go? Whats next, trying to buy Canada?

The fact that he even considered it indicates how irresponsible he is with taxpayer dollars to me. It would be a massive purchase.

I think it's getting attention because, while it has been done before, to my knowledge no Western country has bought or sold other Western countries or territories for the past 70-100 years.

Then it got coverage for bungled foreign relations due to Trump's behavior. Things might have gone differently if Trump had a different approach. More finesse...weird that he considers himself a businessman and he throws a fit at the first "no", anyone who is trained in sales knows that a no is not a stopping point in negotiation.

Once again, Trump is his own worst enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Any idiot should understand that the first "no" is when negotiation actually begins.
    Yup agreed.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    The idea that costs can be recouped is, to use a dirty word, absurd. People who are supportive of this idea seem to be counting the raw retail cost of mineral wealth there, but it isn't like have $1 Bn in oil equals a $1 Bn in profit. You still have to pay to have it extracted, transported and refined. You have to pay all the people involved, you have to build the infrastructure to drill in some of the most hostile terrain on the planet, and then you have to sell the stuff. Even if all this worked out to a profit (Which it doesn't, which is why nobody is doing it now), changing the political ownership to the United States does nothing. It isn't like the US government is going to be drilling, they are only going to be leasing drill rights to companies. Companies which can already lease that from Greenland.

So the idea that the US will ever recoup $500 Billion in taxes and mineral leasing agreements is pure insanity. The idea that that would be helpful for US companies is also dubious, as there are no real barriers to doing business with Greenland now. However damaging relations with Denmark is something that is definitely not helpful, as this sort of episode is likely to lead to Greenland believing China is a more stable partner for resource extraction then the US. So as usual, in pursuing an idiotic notion, Trump is making everything worse.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Any idiot should understand that the first "no" is when negotiation actually begins.
    Well, not if the first no comes from the very first question asked. If you ask the clerk at Walmart if you can buy a nuclear reactor there, and they say "No", that is not the beginning of a negotiation, that is just a no.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

But I do agree with your reasons. The US can not afford it at this time and it is a big risk.
    Would that not make the suggestion.. absurd?

10+ Year Old Account
    The fact that he even considered it indicates how irresponsible he is with taxpayer dollars to me. It would be a massive purchase.

I think it's getting attention because, while it has been done before, to my knowledge no Western country has bought or sold other Western countries or territories for the past 70-100 years.

Then it got coverage for bungled foreign relations due to Trump's behavior. Things might have gone differently if Trump had a different approach. More finesse...weird that he considers himself a businessman and he throws a fit at the first "no", anyone who is trained in sales knows that a no is not a stopping point in negotiation.

Once again, Trump is his own worst enemy.
    I certainly agree with that. And I edited my post to add that I also agreed with your reasoning.

Trump gets attention when he does something dumb. Which is often. How much attention has he got for forgiving disabled Veterans their student debt?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    Would that not make the suggestion.. absurd?
    Of course. Not the only absurd thing Trump has said.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2019-08-22 at 02:19 PM.

I certainly agree with that. And I edited my post to add that I also agreed with your reasoning.

Trump gets attention when he does something dumb. Which is often. How much attention has he got for forgiving disabled Veterans their student debt?
    If you start another thread on that I would like to hear more about that topic, because I read the Military Times article and it sounded to me like his debt forgiveness was limited to disabled Veterans who were "completely and totally" disabled and were already scheduled for debt forgiveness. All individuals (civilian or military) who become completely and totally disabled are already forgiven of federal student debt due to their disability, it is written in the loan contract.

I am really trying to give Trump the benefit of the doubt and am hoping that he is forgiving private student loan debt for vets or is forgiving debts who are disabled but not "completely and totally" disabled due to their military service. I will be upset that it is a PR stunt, but am hoping it is not.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you start another thread on that I would like to hear more about that topic, because I read the Military Times article and it sounded to me like his debt forgiveness was limited to disabled Veterans who were "completely and totally" disabled and were already scheduled for debt forgiveness. All individuals (civilian or military) who become completely and totally disabled are already forgiven of federal student debt due to their disability, it is written in the loan contract.

I am really trying to give Trump the benefit of the doubt and am hoping that he is forgiving private student loan debt for vets or is forgiving debts who are disabled but not "completely and totally" disabled due to their military service. I will be upset that it is a PR stunt, but am hoping it is not.
    I do not make threads anymore. Learned that the hard way. And it was only for disabled vets. Not any vet. But even that should be recognized as a good thing, even if it was limited. He did not have to do it. But the Trump haters may still criticize it.

I do not make threads anymore. Learned that the hard way. And it was only for disabled vets. Not any vet. But even that should be recognized as a good thing, even if it was limited. He did not have to do it. But the Trump haters may still criticize it.
    Well, like I said, if you look over the federal promissory note under debt forgiveness, federal debt is already forgiven for the disabled, vets or otherwise. It is on page 13 of the promissory note here: https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoa...Preview.action use the search term "discharge".

More about debt forgiveness for those who are totally disabled: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-l...lity-discharge

But I will be keeping an eye on this to see if Trump is offering something different/better than what is already in the student loan contract.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, like I said, if you look over the federal promissory note under debt forgiveness, federal debt is already forgiven for the disabled, vets or otherwise. It is on page 13 of the promissory note here: https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoa...Preview.action use the search term "discharge".

More about debt forgiveness for those who are totally disabled: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-l...lity-discharge

But I will be keeping an eye on this to see if Trump is offering something different/better than what is already in the student loan contract.
    Check Thekri's post in a reply to mine in the Trumpshitshow thread in politics. He does a good job of explaining it.