Page 1 of 24
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Post 175 people killed worldwide in last eight years in white nationalist-linked attacks

In the past eight years, more than 175 people around the world have been killed in at least 16 high-profile attacks motivated, or apparently motivated, by white nationalist conspiracy theories, including the far-right racist belief that nonwhite immigrants and refugees are “invaders” who pose an existential threat to the white race.

The targets of deadly attacks have included Muslim worshippers at mosques in Canada, Britain and New Zealand; black Americans in church, including during Bible study at a historic black church in South Carolina; Jewish Americans in synagogues across the United States; and left-wing politicians and activists in the US, UK, Greece, and Norway.

Now, law enforcement officials in the United States are investigating two more mass shootings with potential links to white nationalist radicalization.

An attack on Saturday at a Walmart superstore in El Paso, Texas, a majority-Hispanic city, which left 20 people dead and more than two dozen wounded, and a shooting the previous weekend at a garlic festival in Gilroy, California, packed with families with young children, which left three people dead and 15 wounded.

Many of the white male perpetrators or suspects in these attacks have explicitly described immigrants and refugees as “invaders” or an “invasion” online, and have cited previous white nationalist killers as the inspiration for their attacks.

Several of these deadly attacks have also been closely linked to mainstream political debates over refugees and immigration. Here are the prominent cases prior to this August 2019 shooting:
    April 2019

1 killed in mass shooting targeting a synagogue in Poway, California, US.

The alleged shooter, 19, from California, opened fire in a synagogue during Passover services, killing a 60-year-old woman and injuring three others. An “open letter” posted on the 8chan extremist message board before the attack included white nationalist conspiracy rhetoric and said the shooter was inspired by the gunman who had opened fire on Muslims at two mosques in New Zealand the month before.
    March 2019

51 killed in mass shootings targeting two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand.

The alleged shooter, a 28-year-old white man from Australia, posted on 8chan before the attack, and then live-streamed himself shooting unarmed people in and around two Christchurch mosques. The manifesto posted before the shooting paid tribute to previous white nationalist attacks, including Anders Breivik’s 2011 bomb and shooting attack in Norway, as well as historic acts of violence against Muslims.
    October 2018

11 killed in a mass shooting targeting the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US.

The alleged shooter, a 46-year-old white man, reportedly shouted “All Jews must die!” during the attack. After he was taken into custody, he told a law enforcement official that he believed Jews “were committing a genocide to his people”, a central white nationalist conspiracy theory. The gunman, who is awaiting trial and has pleaded not guilty, apparently had an active profile on an extremist social media site, where he accused Jewish people of trying to bring “evil” Muslims into the US, and wrote that a refugee aid organisation “likes to bring invaders in that kill our people”.
    October 2018

Man attempted to enter black church before allegedly killing two black people in a supermarket in Kentucky, US.

A witness said that during the attack, the alleged shooter said: “Whites don’t kill whites.” His two victims, Maurice Stallard, 69, and Vickie Lee Jones, 67, were both black. Shortly before the shooting he had attempted to enter a nearby, predominantly black church, which was locked. The suspect was charged with hate crimes.
    August 2017

Heather Heyer was killed and dozens injured after a car ploughed into anti-Nazi protesters in Charlottesville, Virginia, US.

After authorities shut down a violent white supremacist and neo-Nazi rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, one of the men who had been photographed with a white supremacist group drove his car into a crowded street full of counter-protesters. Heather Heyer, 32, who was there protesting the far-right supporters, was killed. Dozens more were injured, many seriously. The killer had been obsessed with Hitler as a teenager, according to a former teacher. He was sentenced to life in prison.
    June 2017

A man called Makram Ali was killed and 12 people injured after a van ploughed into worshippers outside a mosque in Finsbury Park, United Kingdom.

The killer, who has been jailed for life, shouted: “I want to kill all Muslims – I did my bit,” after the van attack, according to witnesses. He had been radicalised online and over Twitter, a judge concluded, and avidly consumed anti-Muslim propaganda from prominent rightwing figures.
    May 2017

Two men stabbed to death after intervening in an anti-Muslim rant, Portland, Oregon, US.

Two men were killed and one injured after they tried to intervene to protect young women on a public train who were being targeted with an anti-Muslim tirade. Their alleged killer shouted “Free speech or die” later in a courtroom, and “Death to Antifa! You call it terrorism, I call it patriotism!” The suspect is awaiting trial.
    March 2017

Timothy Caughman stalked and killed by a white supremacist with a sword, New York, US.

The alleged killer later pleaded guilty and was sentenced to life behind bars.

Caughman, a 66-year-old “can and bottle recycler”, had lively social media accounts full of photographs with celebrities such as Oprah Winfrey. His killer, an American military veteran, said he targeted a random black man on the street in New York City as a “practice run” for a bigger attack.
    January 2017

Six people killed during evening prayers at a mosque in Quebec City, Canada.

One of the victims, Azzeddine Soufiane, was killed as he attempted to tackle the gunman. Nineteen people were also injured in the shooting, which the convicted gunman said was prompted by Justin Trudeau’s tweet that refugees were welcome in Canada, and that “diversity is strength”. Those comments from the Canadian prime minster followed US president Donald Trump’s travel ban on people from several Muslim-majority countries. The shooter, who said he feared refugees would kill his family, had previously been known as an aggressive online troll .
    June 2016

Labour MP Jo Cox shot and stabbed to death, UK.

Cox was a supporter of Britain staying in the European Union. She was attacked a week before the EU referendum vote in 2016. The man convicted of killing her was a white supremacist obsessed with the Nazis and apartheid-era South Africa. He shouted: “This is for Britain,” “Keep Britain independent” and “Britain first” as he killed her.
    October 2015

Three killed in attack on school in Trollhättan, Sweden.

The attacker targeted a local high school with a high percentage of immigrant students. Police said students and teacherswith darker skinwere targeted. Three died, including 15-year-old Ahmed Hassan, who was born in Somalia and had recently moved to Sweden.
    June 2015

Nine people killed during Bible study at a historic black church in Charleston, South Carolina, US.

The nine victims included elderly longtime church members at the Mother Emanuel AME church, and Clementa Pinckney, a state senator. The shooter, a self-avowed white supremacist, said he wanted to start a race war, and that he was concerned about “black-on-white crime”. He has been convicted of murder and hate crimes.
    April 2014

Three killed at Jewish centre and retirement home in Overland Park, Kansas, US.

A former Ku Klux Klan leader shot and killed three people, one of them just 14 years old. He was later convicted of murder. He said he believed Jews were destroying the white race, and that diversity was a kind of genocide. None of his victims were Jewish, but he said he considered two of them to be accomplices to Jewish people.
    September 2013

Rapper and anti-fascist activist Pavlos Fyssas stabbed to death in Piraeus, Greece.

A senior member of Greece’s neo-Nazi Golden Dawn party was imprisoned after confessing to the killing.
    August 2012

Six worshippers killed in a shooting targeting a Sikh temple in Oak Creek, Wisconsin.

The dead included the temple president, Satwant Singh Kaleka. The shooter, a “frustrated neo-Nazi” who had played in white power bands, was a regular on racist websites, and died in the attack. He had previously talked to one colleague in the US military about a “racial holy war that was coming” and told another he was a “race traitor” for dating a Latina woman.
    July 2011

77 people killed in attacks on Utøya island and in Oslo, Norway.

A bomb attack, followed by a shooting that targeted the island summer youth camp of Norway’s Labor party. The shooter, who was convicted and is in prison, wanted to prevent an “invasion of Muslims” and deliberately targeted politically active young people who he saw as “cultural Marxists” and proponents of multiculturalism. More than half of the dead were teenagers.
    (source)

So, an article going over the last eight years of White Nationalist linked mass shooting terrorism events. Comments? General sadness?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

No the real problem is Antifa throwing a garbage can into a window.

The real problem is that Antifa (otherwise known as literally everybody but neo-nazis) won't agree we need to end diversity.

Worldwide, white supremacy isn't even a blip on the radar for terrorist attacks.

This is a list of the terrorist attacks just from 1 month in 2019, January. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...n_January_2019

287 incidents with most death tolls averaging around 20 or more fatalities.

You could say white supremacy is a major concern in the US, and I would agree with you on that point.

15+ Year Old Account
    Antifa set a trashcan on fire, they're the REAL threat to this world!

Also it's the migrant's faults for coming here, at least according to certain people on this forum.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    The Queen of Privilege is basically telling minorities they're overreacting to White NAtionalist violence.

This is like the most establishment thing ever.
    Last edited by Citizen T; 2019-08-07 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Government Affiliated Snark

More mexican politicians have been murdered by the cartels in the last 3 months

What about the Antifa attack on the Trashcans?!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm more worried about the Antifa milkshakes. What if they target a vegan???

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    (source)

So, an article going over the last eight years of White Nationalist linked mass shooting terrorism events. Comments? General sadness?
    less then i tought tbh
    so 2 attacks a year worldwide on average with extreem right agenda
    roughly 50% of them in the US
    77 out of 175 was from a single attack in norway.

any attack or death is to much but while people are pressing rightwing hysteria they kind of show that islam is a far greater threat then with many more attacks and many more dead.

thanks for making that clear.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islami...in_Europe#2018
    95 attacks and 373 killed from islam attacks alone between 2011-2019
    thats is only europe, not including rest of the world since there are many many more in midle east & other regions

also are you saying that out of the 292 mass shooting in the US so far this year there are 2 with a rightwing(edit) agenda ?

alot of white people isnt it
    Last edited by Aenigma84; 2019-08-08 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aenigma84 View Post

also are you saying that out of the 292 mass shooting in the US so far this year there are 2 with a richtwing agenda ?

alot of white people isnt it
    What? That's not what the article says.

Richtwing is big yikes. Please don't call your political orientation "Richtwing".

https://imgur.com/IUoThR3.jpg

Remember guys, white nationalism is the problem.

Problem with Antifa is the normalization of violence and if there is one thing you can be sure of is that it will scale.

So yes, you can pretend it is not a problem now because so far they "just" beat people senseless, but be sure when the right wing groups decide to fight back, it won't be pretty (and, in case it is not clear, it will be wrong too).

Using violence to stop speech is wrong, period. It is wrong when the left does it, it is wrong when the right does it, it is wrong when religious people do it and trying to rationalize it will just get things worse.
    I may not be an overachiever, but my Druid is richer than half of Venezuela.

Quote Originally Posted by Knolan View Post
    but be sure when the right wing groups decide to fight back, it won't be pretty (and, in case it is not clear, it will be wrong too).
    There you have it folks. The "fighting back" rhetoric.
    It's those poor right wingers who in no way initiate individual and systematic violence fighting back against the antifa oppressors.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsonsion View Post
    There you have it folks. The "fighting back" rhetoric.
    It's those poor right wingers who in no way initiate individual and systematic violence fighting back against the antifa oppressors.
    Is that really the message you took from my post?

Let me try again:
    Violence instead of speech on political issues is wrong, no matter the reason, no matter who started it.
    I don't care who started, I care about people disavowing it and stop creating apologies.

Is it more clear now?

Shouldn't this be relatively good news?

175 is 175 too many, but it is also far lower than the number of victims of Islamic terrorism, Chinese concentration camps, cartel violence, drug overdoses, sex trafficking, and a myriad of other horrors in the world.

The way some news sources go on about it, you'd think there's a gang of neo-Nazis behind every bush in America. Or was it Russians behind every bush?

Russian neo-Nazis?

I don't understand why antifa is supposed to be some "gotcha" for Democrats. Antifa is like hardcore anarchist communists. If you think Democrat views support or encourage that then I don't really know what to tell you other than to please stop living in whatever fantasy world you're living in.

15+ Year Old Account
    Is that really the message you took from my post?

Let me try again:
    Violence instead of speech on political issues is wrong, no matter the reason, no matter who started it.
    I don't care who started, I care about people disavowing it and stop creating apologies.

Is it more clear now?
    Got it, so when far-right rhetoric gets more prevalent in politics and laws are put in place that target minorities the people should just take it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Got it, so when far-right rhetoric gets more prevalent in politics and laws are put in place that target minorities the people should just take it.
    You can raise the issue, talk and convince people to vote against it, it is not hard.
    The majority of the population is not white supremacists, racist and sadists.
    The west has recently given gays the right to marry without a single shot being fired, just by talking to people and convincing them that gays are regular people. We can change people's minds with speech alone and that is the right way to move forward.

Also, what is the alternative you are suggesting? Force the majority of your country to follow your ideology via fear, violence and intimidation? There is a name for that, it is tyranny.
    Last edited by Knolan; 2019-08-06 at 09:21 AM.

Problem with Antifa is the normalization of violence and if there is one thing you can be sure of is that it will scale.

So yes, you can pretend it is not a problem now because so far they "just" beat people senseless, but be sure when the right wing groups decide to fight back, it won't be pretty (and, in case it is not clear, it will be wrong too).

Using violence to stop speech is wrong, period. It is wrong when the left does it, it is wrong when the right does it, it is wrong when religious people do it and trying to rationalize it will just get things worse.
    fighting back? they haven't killed enough people? they won question you should ask is why are they angrier.