Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Many Newer Players To The Game Having Difficulty

I see, quite often, people too low for the quest/zone having much problems playing the content. I believe the #1 issue is, people aren't venturing to other races' zones and staying with content at their level.

What's the best way to address this? People are likely getting discouraged and possibly leaving the game. Whenever I can, I usually tell people to hit up Darkshore or Loch Modan for a few levels. But you always wonder if they ever actually follow this excellent advice...

Classic wasn't known for streamlined progression. It might be considered a flaw to some.

A shame the Hero's Call board doesn't exist. That would help.
    Last edited by Halyon; 2019-09-02 at 01:45 PM.

They're too accustomed to retail where you can just go zone to zone to zone to zone without ever straying from that path.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    Classic wasn't known for streamlined progression. It might be considered a flaw to some.
    And most others consider it a massive positive, because retail's questing has become so painfully streamlined that the game is practically an on-rails guided tour.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    They're too accustomed to retail where you can just go zone to zone to zone to zone without ever straying from that path.

And most others consider it a massive positive, because retail's questing has become so painfully streamlined that the game is practically an on-rails guided tour.
    That it isn't streamlined isn't as such a problem in my opinion, that it's very unhelpful with guiding a way is.

To echo the above reply — since Classic is kind of a niche product, a lot of these players know what they're in for, and may be cranking the difficulty and time investment deliberately.

Im not surprised tbh,

The scourge in silverpine have caught me offguard a few times, two levels higher than them. They pop life drain and I'm dead in seconds unless I can burn them down straight away
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

5+ Year Old Account
    I'd say, help the new players. Many do not understand that the conveniences of retail are completely absent in Classic. The most common question I've been seeing from new classic players is, "How do I get to TB from Org" or "How do I get to Darn from SW". Gotta hoof it.

Its a valid concern OP, but i would be more worried about the "walking" and downtime in Classic being too time consuming for a casual player.
    I think thats the true reason for people to quit i could be wrong

I started playing in TBC and I'm already discouraged by the massive crap that is questing, especially the limited number of graveyards and the rarity of quest items.

Zones in vanilla didnt have enough quests to level enough in/get you to next zone iirc. So you have to either hop around the world to different zones per level bracket or just grind mobs a lot somewhere easy for your class.
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008. Hunter 2008-2018.
    Retired boomer.

Quote Originally Posted by MAGAForLife View Post
    I see, quite often, people too low for the quest/zone having much problems playing the content. I believe the #1 issue is, people aren't venturing to other races' zones and staying with content at their level.

What's the best way to address this? People are likely getting discouraged and possibly leaving the game. Whenever I can, I usually tell people to hit up Darkshore or Loch Modan for a few levels. But you always wonder if they ever actually follow this excellent advice...
    I Don't Think It's Needed To 'Address' This 'Problem'

especially since it's SUPER easy to find information nowadays

you dont need to use thottbott that was way worse than current wowhead, better quality video's for virtually every single quest
    top guild member
    multi gladiator

giving wow insight daily - expert in wow

i do it like that:
    do all 3-4 quests available, grind some mobs and mining/herb nodes, find a dungeon group, run to another zone, repeat

it feels better than endless errands

10+ Year Old Account

Well to be honest, you can do to a new zone to start fresh and still hit that wall, Loch Modan included. You'll do a few quests that are not in the Orange - Red bracket and then you'll come to a point where you can't do anymore, even though the zone still has quests available.

The game "forces" you to look for alternatives elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    I started playing in TBC and I'm already discouraged by the massive crap that is questing, especially the limited number of graveyards and the rarity of quest items.
    And classic wasn't aimed for people like you.

Ive said for months on here that people confused harder content with poor game design. Wow classic was only hard because it was poorly designed.

Because of the philosophy Blizzard had back then was exploration. And the mentality from Blizzard employees and the consumers came from games like Everquest and Anarchy Online, paper and pen rp games etc etc. It is meant to be like that. A quest giver tells you to go to Thunder Bluff, then it is up to you to find Thunder Bluff.

Players get breadcrumb quests for other zones all the time. The game was designed around traveling around and some of the long quest chains that send you around the world are also the most fun and memorable quests. I am currently playing in the Barrens, Ashenvale, Hillsbrad and Stonatelon.

I think some people are afraid that they waste time by traveling and they shouldn't. It's a long haul to 60 and mixing things up is where it's at.

People get bread crumb quests yes, but the problem is people deciphering it as a suggestion rather than flat out telling you to go.

I downloaded Questie since I did my time in Vanilla and just wanted an 'on-rails' experience seeing all the good things, and I gotta say, it's a lot smoother knowing where to go and when to go. I wouldn't recommend it to newbies, but as an old cane-wielding veteran it helps a great deal.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

giving them these tips is the only thing you can do. The largest part right now is lvling and not just rushing through it, so everyone that just wants to be lvl 60 and not lvl should not play classic at all. Also overcoming such harships by either asking someone to help you questing or by asking what you can do is part of classic. If you don't know, ask.

I think it is great that you have to swap areas more because it means you get to explore again and that is what you do in classic also, exploring the world and playing with friends/strangers that might become friends. When you reach 60 and the gearing and raiding starts a different phase of the game stats. But if somene doesn't enjoy the jurney to 60 he/she should likely wait till the 2nd phase or 3rd before starting.

Retail/new players coming to Classic for the first time is a lot like Skyrim players going into Morrowind for the first time.

Gameplay is very different, the game is not holding your hand constantly and the enemies are not complete pushovers.

Classic/vanilla just puts a challenge in-front of the player and how he solves that is up to him, the game will not be babysitting him.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    Retail/new players coming to Classic for the first time is a lot like Skyrim players going into Morrowind for the first time.
    I like this comparison. Some of us still prefer Morrowind to Skyrim.