11 18.33%
  • openraid 2.0

14 23.33%
  • never will use anything but trade in cities

35 58.33%
Page 1 of 2
LastLast

If blizzard breaks lfg addons what will take over - discord or openraid 2.0

So with all this debate on bad and wrongs of classicLFG i would like to go back a little bit - to times prior to current retail lfg tool was implemented into game.

back in MoP when cross realm raiding became a thing the one "to go " site was openraid - as someone who made hundreds of groups in there and found so much people for my groups almost imidiately i do think that some sort of new site will appear if blizzard disables addons as way to make our life easier and save a lot of time.

discord can have technicaly similiar option but openraid was supperior due to feedback and "stars" you could give there .

what do YOU think will hypoteticaly take over - discord or openraid 2.0 ?

i would vote we should make openraid great again . who else have great memories from using that site to form groups ?

edit. ok so now with confirmation its even more important now to etabilish where we will make groups - server discords or external site to ensure smooth fast group making.

you cant stop technology and progress blizz
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2019-08-24 at 05:37 AM.

There are already server Discords so it's just going to be that. At least the LFG addon uses in-game chat, so people that don't use the addon still have a chance to see and join groups, and all the socialization happens within the game still. People are worried that you would have a hard time finding groups without the addon if everyone else was using it, but it would be even worse if a significant portion of group recruitment happened on Discord instead.

I don't think either will take over. I believe the majority of the Classic community does not want and would not use any tool for automated group finding. I believe a minority of players would like and would use an LFG addon (or open raid, etc). However, I believe the majority of the community that will still be playing Classic 1 year from now aren't interested in any LFG tool and so no tool will take over.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Loved open raid in MoP as few teams on my server raided at times I could make; through openRaid I found a group I eventually started raiding with every week.

With that said the success of openRaid was due to cross realm invitations; so people across servers would use it to link up and form the groups ahead of time as they couldn't just chat in game without already being grouped up and there were no communities (as in the feature). As classic returns to the single server identity I don't really see openRaid making a return; so it'll likely just be the server discords as Liaku mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    So with all this debate on bad and wrongs of classicLFG i would like to go back a little bit - to times prior to current retail lfg tool was implemented into game.

back in MoP when cross realm raiding became a thing the one "to go " site was openraid - as someone who made hundreds of groups in there and found so much people for my groups almost imidiately i do think that some sort of new site will appear if blizzard disables addons as way to make our life easier and save a lot of time.

discord can have technicaly similiar option but openraid was supperior due to feedback and "stars" you could give there .

what do YOU think will hypoteticaly take over - discord or openraid 2.0 ?

i would vote we should make openraid great again . who else have great memories from using that site to form groups ?
    Trade chat, like a commoner.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Nothing will take over. The majority is interested in the "purist" experience. Those that are looking for all the QoL improvements won't be around long term.

Trade chat mostly. Sure if I am on the realm discord and someone pings me to do a run I won't put them on ignore but I also won't sit there and focus use it for groups or anything.

Mechagnome
    3+ Year Old Account
    There's no point breaking things, people will just get around it by using a website. It seems kind of pointless.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I really wanna see people reading trade chat when there are 10x more people on classic servers than there were in old or private server times. And even then callToArms existed for a reason. If the LFG addon doesn't use auto accept, there is no problem; there is no random matchmaking, no teleport to the dungeon, you still need to communicate what route to do in the dungeon, which quests to get, to share, to skip, and to do, etc. This stuff doesn't disappear.

I'll use it to find people, who I can whisper to, and ask for an invite. And when I'm making a group I won't invite people, who just say "inv plx". I can still have social interactions and value player on my own merits like behavior, class etc., the addon doesn't prevent it. I use it as a filter, because I can't read the spammed tradechat fast enough to get all relevant groups I may want to join.

And there is no harm to people, who do not use the addon. The search is still posted to the channels just like a lfg macro would, any non-user can join and any user can join non-user groups without harming the social interactions.

Quote Originally Posted by Simulant View Post
    Nothing will take over. The majority is interested in the "purist" experience. Those that are looking for all the QoL improvements won't be around long term.
    I will be around long-term. I'll also be using whatever the biggest LFG addon is out there. Purist can easily mix with quality-of-life. It's a shame too many people don't understand that. Classic with LFG capabilities doesn't change anything about Classic other than saving time not needing to be in trade chat. It's not like the dungeon randomly becomes easier. On top of that, LFG people tend to be pretty bad. If anything, it'll make dungeons an even harder experience and, thus, line up more closely with how people remember them being in their head, despite never being hard to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Octoberfest99 View Post
    I don't think either will take over. I believe the majority of the Classic community does not want and would not use any tool for automated group finding. I believe a minority of players would like and would use an LFG addon (or open raid, etc). However, I believe the majority of the community that will still be playing Classic 1 year from now aren't interested in any LFG tool and so no tool will take over.
    the only reason people didnt use addons in vanilla is because the large majority of people literally had no idea addons existed.

everyone except vanilla purists will have addons now. 99.9999999999%

go into any dungeon and everyone will have a dmg meter of some kind, guaranteed.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'll just use whatever is most convenient. There is no reason to break the addons that exist because they're just a pretty coat of paint over the archaic group finding system of Classic. It's not like they hurt server communities (lol) or do anything special.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

i really want to use it, i do ..but i feel like it would take away from the experience of classic, so i choose not to, initially

..that being said; if it turns out this addon becomes the norm, i will start using it.

Why not allow similar premade group finder as in current wow where people can queue up for groups instead spamming trade chat 24/7 that is not one of the things I miss about vanilla forcing myself to sit in a capital and spam /2 or /4 LFG warlock brd. The little time I'm going to have for wow now I'm not gonna waste it jumping between the crack in IF and waiting for full group

Quote Originally Posted by Octoberfest99 View Post
    Good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    the only reason people didnt use addons in vanilla is because the large majority of people literally had no idea addons existed.

everyone except vanilla purists will have addons now. 99.9999999999%

go into any dungeon and everyone will have a dmg meter of some kind, guaranteed.
    I was specifically referring to LFG addons. I agree players will use addons such as damage meters, threat meters, DBM, bag addons, etc., however I believe the majority of Classic players will not use a LFG addon.

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    This.

I was thinking personally, "How did *I* do it, when I was a new tank, when the servers launched, and people were looking for others to group up with? I just wish I could recall how I managed to find others who were of a like mind, and wanted to play together. Oh, I wish I could recall what method we utilised to do so..."

No tools needed. Just use your words.
    well if you're a tank you wont need shit, people will just look for you :P

being a tank in vanilla is like being in an LFG queue at all times even without wanting to be.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jabakaga View Post
    Why not allow similar premade group finder as in current wow where people can queue up for groups instead spamming trade chat 24/7 that is not one of the things I miss about vanilla forcing myself to sit in a capital and spam /2 or /4 LFG warlock brd. The little time I'm going to have for wow now I'm not gonna waste it jumping between the crack in IF and waiting for full group
    LFG chat is probably gonna be the thing and that's global.

Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    LFG chat is probably gonna be the thing and that's global.
    That's actually one of the reasons having this addon is godsent.

LFG was a cesspit in vanilla, when the realms were much smaller.

Imagine 4 times the retards spamming that chat with nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post
    That's actually one of the reasons having this addon is godsent.

LFG was a cesspit in vanilla, when the realms were much smaller.

Imagine 4 times the retards spamming that chat with nonsense.
    well sure, I'm not even arguing against the addon, since it was possible to make in vanilla.

I'm just saying itll be there if blizzard breaks the addon (which they're already doing)

OpenRaid was a great site in the early days, but it was made possible entirely by xrealms. I doubt this is a thing in classic (someone confirm?) and thus you might as well just idle in /2 when LFG, since that's more likely to get you a grp quicker..