Origins of Galakrond

Alright, so I recently heard someone say that Tyr might have been the reason for Galakronds mutations, in an attempt to create a superior protector of the world or so. (How Wrathion was created and how he is immune to Old God influence and immensely powerful at such a young age seems to be supportive of this theory.) ((It was a quick read))

But then you have the aspects say he is the "father of dragons", so the secret of Galakrond is kept outside of others knowledge.

Is there a possibility that a Galakrond-like drake could begin again?

Apologies if this post seems like a ramble. It kind of is.
    DK faceroll omnomnom

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Since there must always be a Lich King and therefor the Scourge I wouldn't be surprised if they're eventually able to raise him in to undeath. Surely there must be a new Grand Necrolord by now and Glakrond would be once juicy ally especially if he is somehow exempt from the sacrifice made by his "children".
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    Since there must always be a Lich King and therefor the Scourge I wouldn't be surprised if they're eventually able to raise him in to undeath. Surely there must be a new Grand Necrolord by now and Glakrond would be once juicy ally especially if he is somehow exempt from the sacrifice made by his "children".
    If we're getting another Undeath expansion next, hope that happens then!

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    Well, you do have the questline in Dragonblight where necromancers attempt to reanimate Galakronds remains. I do believe I've read somewhere that Galakrond was in the talks of being a raidboss during Wrath of the Lich King, but it was scrapped due to his size being too problematic to work with.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    If we're getting another Undeath expansion next, hope that happens then!
    Considering how they messed up Deathwing, I'm not sure another big dragon fight would be good!
    DK faceroll omnomnom

Quote Originally Posted by Sarrgoth View Post

Considering how they messed up Deathwing, I'm not sure another big dragon fight would be good!
    Hopefully it'd be good because of mistakes they learned from with Deathwing, but I don't blame you for being pessimistic when it comes to Blizzard's ability to learn from past mistakes.

The Old Gods or some other dark force seems to be responsible for Galakrond. Yes, the Keepers seem to have been guiding life on Azeroth, including the Proto-drakes, towards a higher level of intelligence, to have the planet develop civilization. But Galakrond was a clear corruption. A creature that created undead spawn and seemed to grow stronger as it imperfectly and cannibalistically absorbed the essence of its kin.

The Aspects, as the main conscious survivors of the conflict in their primal proto-drake forms, rewrote history to pretend he was the Father of Dragons. But according to the Dawn of the Aspects book, that was anything but true. Galakrond was one of the first sapient proto-drakes, possibly one of the first sentient beings on Azeroth that wasn't Titanborn. But he was also the first to grow vile and corrupted.

"A powerful dragon could be a powerful tool. Alas, gone are the days of Galakrond" -Xal'atath.

As for if something new like it could rise... Well yeah. And it wouldn't be the first time. Deathwing, Ultraxxion, Chromatus, dragons have a ton of potential. Not the least of which is the golden power that the combined power of all five Aspects can unleash. But this power also has its dark equivalent. Only the Aspects have faced the true potential of Dragonkin.

If something like it could rise again? Well, I'm unsure. With Muruzond approaching, I doubt the pure equivalent could ever rise again. But Chomatus' body persists. And we may see him in the dark future once more. In which case, his indestructible dark form and his darkened joined minds of the 5 aspects are the likeliest candidate of once again seeing the path of Galakrond revived on Azeroth.

The only interesting thing with Galakron was his necromantic powers and how big he was. Makes one wonder if the old gods or someone else had a hand in his creation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

Deathwing wasn't a bad encounter. Just that both fights were essentially the same exact rinse-repeat style fight, which made both of them together (especially on progression) feel super, super slow and sloggy.

They were on to something with the boss fights, though. I'm sure they could do an updated version of the concept and make it work much better.

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    Deathwing wasn't a bad encounter. Just that both fights were essentially the same exact rinse-repeat style fight, which made both of them together (especially on progression) feel super, super slow and sloggy.

They were on to something with the boss fights, though. I'm sure they could do an updated version of the concept and make it work much better.
    I disagree. While I appreciate the fact of the spine fight, because he is that big. I feel like they could've done a better job. Madness just feels dumb. Neltharion/Deathwing is among my favorites in the Warcraft universe, and I constantly feel like Blizzard didn't use his potential.
    DK faceroll omnomnom

I disagree. While I appreciate the fact of the spine fight, because he is that big. I feel like they could've done a better job. Madness just feels dumb. Neltharion/Deathwing is among my favorites in the Warcraft universe, and I constantly feel like Blizzard didn't use his potential.
    Sadly the Deathwing we got in-game was a shadow of how he was characterized in novels. I would have loved to have gotten some of the Prestor political manipulation a la Vanilla Onyxia. It seems the version we got in Cataclysm was a Neltharion tortured and maddened past the point of rationality to the point where he was more a force of nature than a character.

The Prestors and their politics were one of the few things that had the potential to make the generic "Stormwind human" story interesting.
    Xal'atath whispers: Your allies consider me a bad influence. Yet all I've ever done is speed you along the path you chose.

Quote Originally Posted by Briselody View Post
    Sadly the Deathwing we got in-game was a shadow of how he was characterized in novels. I would have loved to have gotten some of the Prestor political manipulation a la Vanilla Onyxia. It seems the version we got in Cataclysm was a Neltharion tortured and maddened past the point of rationality to the point where he was more a force of nature than a character.

The Prestors and their politics were one of the few things that had the potential to make the generic "Stormwind human" story interesting.
    Cataclysm Deathwing was still pretty clever. Forcing two elemental lords back onto the Old Gods' side. Organizing and controlling Twilight Hammer operations in five zones which had quite a bit of Daval Prestor level manipulation and infiltration. Hell, the King's most trusted religious figure was one of them. It was only at the end after being blasted several times by the Dragon Soul and literally coming apart did he turn into the "rawr me dragon rawr" thing that people mistakenly believe he was the entire expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Cataclysm Deathwing was still pretty clever. Forcing two elemental lords back onto the Old Gods' side. Organizing and controlling Twilight Hammer operations in five zones which had quite a bit of Daval Prestor level manipulation and infiltration. Hell, the King's most trusted religious figure was one of them. It was only at the end after being blasted several times by the Dragon Soul and literally coming apart did he turn into the "rawr me dragon rawr" thing that people mistakenly believe he was the entire expansion.
    He almost screwed with the new leader of the Blue Dragonflight(Arygos conspiring with Deathwing). Sure I mean Deathwing was pretty chaotic but Old Gods very much enjoy chaos and madness so its not a shocker Deathwing ended the way he did. The expansion is Cataclysm afterall not" "War manipulations"
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    He almost screwed with the new leader of the Blue Dragonflight(Arygos conspiring with Deathwing). Sure I mean Deathwing was pretty chaotic but Old Gods very much enjoy chaos and madness so its not a shocker Deathwing ended the way he did. The expansion is Cataclysm afterall not" "War manipulations"
    Ah, that too. I play a druid but was staunchly feral/kitty until Legion so I had to go back to do the staff questline. Let's see, what else was there? Getting Fandral out of prison and into Raggy's hands. All the naga trying to capture Neptulon. The Twilight Hammer trying to capture Therazane. The time travelling assassins from the novel going after Thrall. Deathwing, in true Old God fashion, had tons of plots and schemes all over that place.

Dawn simply states that he devoured and devoured until he could not be sated, eventually turning to cannibalism and that's what caused the mutations.

It could be that because Proto-drakes are confirmed as Elementals that escape the sealing of the Elemental Planes, they may have contained Void-based toxins, that accumulated in Galakrond as he consumed his kin. They make a point of cannibalism being abnormal behaviour even for the drakes. I have a head-canon that Yogg-Saron, who uses Decay (Necrotic) magic, may have inflicted Galakrond with some sort of proto-plague. The truth is we just don't really know.

I think the untold story of Yogg-Saron and the Lich King and the poorly told relationship between the Consumption that the Drakkari exhibited in Wrath all tie together with the idea that Yogg-Saron's whispers inflict some sort of canibal/zombie madness on creatures. There's connections there that Devs have talked about but never made it properly into Lore. They may have left that stuff up in the air for a later story they'll come back to someday.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmall001 View Post
    Dawn simply states that he devoured and devoured until he could not be sated, eventually turning to cannibalism and that's what caused the mutations.

It could be that because Proto-drakes are confirmed as Elementals that escape the sealing of the Elemental Planes, they may have contained Void-based toxins, that accumulated in Galakrond as he consumed his kin. They make a point of cannibalism being abnormal behaviour even for the drakes. I have a head-canon that Yogg-Saron, who uses Decay (Necrotic) magic, may have inflicted Galakrond with some sort of proto-plague. The truth is we just don't really know.

I think the untold story of Yogg-Saron and the Lich King and the poorly told relationship between the Consumption that the Drakkari exhibited in Wrath all tie together with the idea that Yogg-Saron's whispers inflict some sort of canibal/zombie madness on creatures. There's connections there that Devs have talked about but never made it properly into Lore. They may have left that stuff up in the air for a later story they'll come back to someday.
    In "Dawn of the Aspects" it's intimated that Galakrond is basically a result of guided evolution gone wrong on the part of the Keepers - they were basically lax in their duties (perhaps due to the growing influence of Yogg-Saron in Ulduar), and weren't observing Galakrond properly when we went awry and became an abomination. Yogg-Saron himself could've also been indirectly responsible as well, though that's not revealed by the events of DotA.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead