Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

How did you grind/get gold for your epic mount in vanilla?

I was still a semi noob back in vanilla and played fury warrior mostly. My guild had MC/ZG/Ony and some of BWL cleared... it was a casual guild. I was in middle school and wonter break rolled around... someone in my guild told me to just farm Scarlet Monastery and sell all the green/blues and junk. I still remember the joy of grinding like 10-15g/hour and for the entire break literally being like the south park episode where they just sit in the basement and play wow. It was low key fun cause I had decent fury gear and would just pull mobs after mobs. I was determined to have an epic mount before tbc got released

Grinding in Tyr’s Hand, selling enchants, potions, green items on the AH. I also got lucky with two epic boe drops, helm of narv and the skullflame shield.

Don't forget the obvious discounts, it may not seem much but if you plan ahead while leveling they will save you a decent amount of gold.

By selling arcane crystals. I heard some guys playing on Nost, saying that the big birds in Deadwin Pass were quite interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Easyest solution to get gold for a pvp player:

Bind your HS in Winterspring, get ported to your Capital, queue for a BG, port to Winterspring and start farm Furbolgs. The biggest Furbolg Camp had three or four arcanite spawns, two chest spawns and the Furbolgs themself dropped Silver, Grey items wich sold for more then one Gold, Runecloth, Health and Mana potions, Firewater and the occasional Green and Bluedrop.

Once the BG Queue popped you joined, played the BG and after it ended you got out in your Capital. Rinse and Repeat

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Runecloth bags. It's the basis of my entire fortune if I look back. So many new players coming to the game, all needing bags all the time.

Mining + herbalism

I levelled a second character to 60 and sold savoury deviate delights (on alliance).

Edit: it was also easier on my 2nd char (I think) because I was a human and therefore had the reputation bonus but I can't remember when discounts and things started or were they there from the beginning?
    Last edited by Netherling; 2018-08-03 at 07:44 PM.

Deleted
    Oh dear, confession time. I ninjad an epic 1h axe drop from Scholomance and sold it on the AH.

finding a world BOE epic helped.

Other than that it was saving every silver enough to purchase the mount I wanted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

As a noob on my Alliance char EU side the first time in Feb/March 2005 i grinded the ghosts in winterspring for gold/enchant recipes sold a few etc etc.

Then we rerolled horde at May 2005, and i knew better so..

First i farmed some Uldaman Elites, the ones outside, cloth selling + drops, worked cause they were elite.

After that, a few crafts here and there, when i just said "This is hopeless", and grinded Arcane Crystals in Azshara, i knew the route, i was completely solo cause everyone preferred Burning Steppes etc.

Eventually i reached something like 3k gold by July 2005 + mount + friends mount, so around 5k cause them Shamans wanting their Arcanite Reaper were desperate for Arcane Crystals (Best was, ~15 arcane crystals in 1 day, for ~35 gold each..Golddd!) and then reached 5K after a few months while slow farming and then i completely stopped farming, kept it around 5k forever by giving all my thorium bars to guildie, selling them to people that wanted Darkmoon neck.
    Last edited by potis; 2018-08-03 at 08:53 PM.

Deleted
    Flipping epics/Rares on AH.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    I didn't get one in Vanilla, I only got one in TBC. Of course, later on in TBC the gold making game ramped up with dailies, so a friend and I paired up and helped each other buy our epic flight.

Not gonna lie, I bought the gold before they put in all the rules and stuff about it.

Now epic flight in TBC I did on my own by being one of the first JC's to market and buying up schematics cheap before people figured out what they had.

By not spending it on useless shit. Just like today. repair is the only thing you are required to spend gold on. I got gold from all the crap blasted lands mob dropped for the buff there. Felwood gave a bit of gold as you killed mobs to farm those pots

Farmed SM a few times before the nerf and instance limit, that was about it

I just quested, sold excess ore/herbs/cloth/gems/etc on the AH, and was careful with my gold.

I had 2 epic mounts in Vanilla, one of which was cross faction. On my server at least that was extremely rare. Most people couldn't be bothered to farm that much rep (endless runecloth turn ins for the most part) and even more people couldn't afford 2.
    It wasn't easy, but it was worth it for the prestige it brought during that time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dont recall what I grinded for it back in vanilla.

On my first go at private servers I made a priest and made 1800g over 3 days between lvl 30 and 34 just farming elemental earths sold at ~4g ea aprox (the horde side only elementals at dalaran, got the spawnpoints down and camped ~80% of the spot, went mostly uncontested just had a handfull of nasty whispers but that was it).
    Journyman epic, all pre raid boe's, eye of shadow, tailoring chest pattern, and had leftovers for enchants and the quel serrar book for the warrior I leveled after.

Second time araund it was more or less the same just spread over more time, and different spots, used some time grinding in burning steppes.

Third time I tried fishing; Stonescales, oily blackmouths and deviates. Worked okeyish, but got terribly bored so ended up aoe farming over half of it on a mage in DM.

Fourth/fith time I just grinded elementals to journyman then farmed felcloth in Aszhara/ Felwood, some winterfall eko groups and alittle bit in tyrs hand; pretty much alittle bit of everything.

Other nice methods; depending on class/gear/how far the server is progressed;

Dire maul farm (clear/tribute), dire maul solo farm; aoe plants or dire huntard, dire maul demonic runes farm; pavillion entrance, mauradon farm,
    winterspring frost giants, ungoro devilsaurs (skinning), dragon whelps, elemental earths in burning steppes/bad lands/searing gorge/silithus, felcloth farm,
    Ubrs/scholo/strat gearing- runs and reserve flask patterns/ orbs / dark runes / major mana pots.
    Oh and horde warlocks -> Zoram strand, be there, and start summoning people, they will easily pay 1g ea to skip 30+ mins of walking.

Loads of ways that works but the best is just to check what is in high demand, find a spot that is fairly uncontested and supply the demand.
    Its just much better farming in an average spot alone than competing against 20 others for 10 mobs.
    Last edited by Ettan; 2018-08-03 at 10:02 PM.

Alchemy and Herbalism. I won [Recipe: Greater Fire Protection Potion] in LBRS which over the course of Vanilla made me hundreds of gold. I later farmed the recipe on my Rogue after watching a guide for farming LRBS trash, I sold it immediately for 500g. Honestly though, after getting used to having gold I stopped farming it and if I was bored I'd flip twink items on the AH, which (if you got lucky) could be hugely profitable.

mining dark iron as a rogue.