Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    New interview: Ion Hazzikostas on realm queues (basically, they're deliberate)

    Hi everybody! New Ion interview on Classic queues.

    Full disclosure: This is my story, and part of an hour-long interview that's posting in chunks over the next few days to avoid extreme reading fatigue.

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/hnewman...ing-to-log-in/

  2. #2
    ion hazzikostas sucks

  3. #3
    Bloodsail Admiral rogoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    in the land of killer unicrons
    Posts
    1,201
    you all asked for the 'classic' experience, now suck it up and have it.

    retired march 2013 RIP - returned january 2016, purely because paladins finally get Ashbringer!

  4. #4
    Dreadlord MonkeyMagicc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    With the aid of shrooms, I drift into the astral realm
    Posts
    782
    Did you ask anything about BfA during this interview?

  5. #5
    We are waiting in queue because blizzard wants to save money.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    We are waiting in queue because blizzard wants to save money.
    It doesn't have shit to do with saving money.

  7. #7
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    451
    You're waiting in a queue because even something as benign as launch day layering was met with shrieking from people who never actually played classic.

    Now shut the fuck up and wait in line to play your one button rotation character.

  8. #8
    So they are expecting 10% retention. They are in for a shock on realms like Gehennas or Firemaw, where half of the Pserver population rolled.
    Or rather, we are in for 6+ months of 2+ hour queues.

  9. #9
    tl,dr - Confirming everything we already know

    I particularly liked how he mentioned they would’ve used layering in 2004 if they had it. Then, right after, confirming each layer is essentially identical to a healthy server’s capacity at launch. That’s a giant, glowing fuck you to the 13 weird people who somehow thought a 30,000 player queue would be beneficial for the games’ long term health.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    So they are expecting 10% retention. They are in for a shock on realms like Gehennas or Firemaw, where half of the Pserver population rolled.
    Or rather, we are in for 6+ months of 2+ hour queues.
    Can I borrow your DeLorean after you’re done with it?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    We are waiting in queue because blizzard wants to save money.
    Literally wrong

    You are waiting because they don't want dead realms

  11. #11
    Brewmaster Redroniksre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, Ontario
    Posts
    1,333
    I mean what he says makes sense. You suffer now in order to have healthy servers later.

  12. #12
    Field Marshal iDruid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Arizona USA
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    We are waiting in queue because blizzard wants to save money.
    Didn't read the article, I take it

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Redroniksre View Post
    I mean what he says makes sense. You suffer now in order to have healthy servers later.

    The article really did make sense, and I am OK with this. I would dread the rest of Classic on a dead server far more than a week or two of overcrowding.

  13. #13
    If there are queues, I wouldn’t know. I was logged in the second the game came up.

    It was unplayable. So much overcrowding and lag you had to get lucky to tag a mob.

    Took half an hour to hit level two with a melee toon. Logged off for a nap as it wasn’t worth the time aside from getting a launch day screenshot.

  14. #14
    After reading the interview I can say that I find this title misleading

    Essentially ion said the reason why they aren't boosting realm caps is because it would be a bigger strain on the 30k cap servers and would make running even a single layer difficult

    The reason they aren't just making a ton of extra servers is because it would spread people out too much and create dead servers

    They expect a large drop off and already plan on cutting layers down after a couple days

    So in a sense yeah it's intentional but not due to the reason most assume

  15. #15
    It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy that people won't stick around when you make the game so unplayable that they don't stick around.
    /s

  16. #16
    Moderator MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Metachronopolis
    Posts
    28,938
    As always, thanks Heather, for posting a link here.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy that people won't stick around when you make the game so unplayable that they don't stick around.
    I doubt if they would stick around for long if they were on a dead server in 8 weeks.
    To contact global moderators with moderation issues please PM any of the following:
    Tziva ■ Radux ■ Simca ■ Elysia ■ Zaelsino ■ xskarma ■ Arlee ■ Venara
    When people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.

  17. #17
    I am Murloc! Nnyco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Haomarush
    Posts
    5,572
    Welp you guys didnt want phasing the first few days, "#nochanges" yada yada yada. Now have fun with your queue.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Gbits View Post
    Hi everybody! New Ion interview on Classic queues.

    Full disclosure: This is my story, and part of an hour-long interview that's posting in chunks over the next few days to avoid extreme reading fatigue.

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/hnewman...ing-to-log-in/
    a forbes link really? ugh..
    ~steppin large and laughin easy~

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyGhoul View Post
    If there are queues, I wouldn’t know. I was logged in the second the game came up.

    It was unplayable. So much overcrowding and lag you had to get lucky to tag a mob.

    Took half an hour to hit level two with a melee toon. Logged off for a nap as it wasn’t worth the time aside from getting a launch day screenshot.
    Weird, I was on Herod on launch and was level 2 in less than five minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kekekz View Post
    Everyone hated BC, everyone hated Wrath, everyone hated Cata and everyone will hate MoP. MoP will become the new worst expansion and Al'akir or BoT will become the new "last good raid" or something stupid like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    You're now blocked. Told you I was done with you. You want to pick fights over minute details as if this is the fucking presidential debate on a gaming forum.
    Enjoy.

  20. #20
    They at least could have added a server for LA-BR players, so we could have avoided this queue
    Zul'Jin died for our sins.
    --
    My Loa are smiling at me infidel. can you say the same?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •