Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Is WoW still a MMORPG?

It lacks some of the criteria to be considered a mmo.
    From wiki.

Massively multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPGs) are a combination of role-playing video games and massively multiplayer online games in which a very large number of players interact with one another within a virtual world.

It can be discusses. Since everything is instanced and the world is smaller then 1/3 of Kalimdor it sure doesn't feel like an mmo.
    Interact? Cant remember last time I interacted with someone, enter a m+ group without saying a word count? Might aswell be bots playing.

You teleport from one place to another, thats what you do.

It's so stupid that I can't even see guild mates standing next to me if we're not in party. I have to group up with my guild mates in order to trade them or inspect them even if we stand next to eachother.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koken View Post
    It can be discusses. Since everything is instanced and the world is smaller then 1/3 of Kalimdor it sure doesn't feel like an mmo.
    Interact? Cant remember last time I interacted with someone, enter a m+ group without saying a word count? Might aswell be bots playing.
    No, everything isn't instanced. Just because you insist in doing dungeons again and again doesn't mean that the open world doesn't exist. Also, the size of this world is irrelevant for the definition of a MMO.

You can interact with other players constantly in WoW, be it directly, indirectly, in a co-op setting or in a pvp setting, and many others. Even an Auction House translaction is a multiplayer interaction.

People gotta forget this weird-ass notion that MMO = Co-op Multiplayer. It was never about this.

Yes it is.

Yep as long as it labeled as one yes it is.

From wiki.

Massively multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPGs) are a combination of role-playing video games and massively multiplayer online games in which a very large number of players interact with one another within a virtual world.

It's so stupid that I can't even see guild mates standing next to me if we're not in party. I have to group up with my guild mates in order to trade them or inspect them even if we stand next to eachother.
    This is so much stretching you must be a world famous 20th degree black belt in yoga where your bones have ceased to be rigid and instead resemble the consistency of Laffy Taffy.
    Nice click bait troll thread.

Nice bait bro. Arent you one of those agressive classic wow nerds? The right forums are that way --->

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Interestingly, based on my own recent experience playing Classic WoW, I've actually crystallized the main difference between the WoW of the current era (often referred to as "Retail WoW") and Classic. Classic straddles the boundaries between the second generation of MMORPG's and the third generation, with the second generation being defined by such titles as "Dark Age of Camelot" and "Ultima Online 2." There's a sense of "clunkiness" to it that is absent more recent MMORPG or even RPG offerings, a stilted feeling of slowness and (artificial) difficulty compared to modern WoW. Retail WoW plays much more like an ARPG with MMO components, I think - it has a smoother, quicker, more action-oriented style of play with a lot of the deeper RPG elements sketched or even completely docked. I might call it something akin to an MMOARPG as opposed to an MMORPG.

This isn't to say that's a bad thing, per se; but it's definitely a difference from its more plodding and more RPG-centric roots. The "MMO" component is style certainly present, but the "RPG" component has been sped up and action-oriented to a large degree.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    Nice bait bro. Arent you one of those agressive classic wow nerds? The right forums are that way --->
    Does starting classic 2 days after release, playing 20 min reaching level 5 count as "agressive classic wow nerd"?
    Then yes, i am.

It's not like there is a hard definition for either the MMO part nor the RPG part. The very fact that the RPG part gets heavily undermined by the MMO part already makes every MMORPG very little RPG. In that regard, it's a fantasy world with swords and magic with alot of other people, so yes, it is. Certainly as much as any of the other contenders out there..

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Interestingly, based on my own recent experience playing Classic WoW, I've actually crystallized the main difference between the WoW of the current era (often referred to as "Retail WoW") and Classic. Classic straddles the boundaries between the second generation of MMORPG's and the third generation, with the second generation being defined by such titles as "Dark Age of Camelot" and "Ultima Online 2." There's a sense of "clunkiness" to it that is absent more recent MMORPG or even RPG offerings, a stilted feeling of slowness and (artificial) difficulty compared to modern WoW. Retail WoW plays much more like an ARPG with MMO components, I think - it has a smoother, quicker, more action-oriented style of play with a lot of the deeper RPG elements sketched or even completely docked. I might call it something akin to an MMOARPG as opposed to an MMORPG.

This isn't to say that's a bad thing, per se; but it's definitely a difference from its more plodding and more RPG-centric roots. The "MMO" component is style certainly present, but the "RPG" component has been sped up and action-oriented to a large degree.

Oh shit, yes, more like a ARPG, i wonder, did it start with MoP? Hmmm... grindy ARPGs is super popular in Asia, did activision here force the game to better please the asian market? Maybe.

yes. Definitions have little to do with what players feel.

It's an on line game with a massive population in which you play the role of a hero. Matches all the criteria.

It's by no means all instanced and does not require inferaction with a lot of people to be an mmo.
    Warlock soloing https://www.youtube.com/user/Firedemon012 (old & abandoned)

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    The fact that you choose to play it solo doesn’t make it not an mmo.

I don't get the point of this topic. Like "oh i join keys i dont say a word that means nobody is social in this game" OR it just means you're not social. Like if that's the criteria that people choose not to be social then any game can qualify.

It's a MMOG full of casual solo players doing braindead activities alone and collecting useless junk they will never use just for the sake of filling collection tabs.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post

So tired of reading these mindless, driveling posts about how retail is some kind of action RPG while Classic wasn’t. They have the same fundamentals, they have the same button input ideology, they have the same movement setup.
    They. Are. The. Same.
    Just because you auto attack more and only pull 1 mob at a time doesn’t mean it’s any less of an action based RPG game. It’s just slower paced action.
    I challenge you to please, please, find me instances in Classic where you are doing turn based, static standing combat as the primary and only way of doing combat. Then show me where you can’t play the same as in Retail.

Well RP realms still exist, and this site's RP forums remains apparently active, so yeah?

Classic is identical. It just has massive downtime in between the same action. :S

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    It's a MMOG full of casual solo players doing braindead activities alone and collecting useless junk they will never use just for the sake of filling collection tabs.
    Good to see that nothing changed in 15 years.

From wiki.

Well, it’s an MMO and it’s an RPG... so yeah. Millions of subs still counts as “massive”.