Page 1 of 57
... LastLast

Unhappy Blizzard was right, retail is better.

I have to admit,

Blizzard was correct. I did think I wanted Classic, I followed Classic news every single day and even took off work to play it on day 1. However, after playing to level 15 and putting about 15 hours into the game the nostalgia completely wore off.

Classic is not a good game. The mob mechanics are outdated with bad AI, the graphics are really really bad, the quests are so boring and bland (pick up x, kill z, talk to y) with no justification to be doing anything no cool story, the game design is horrible (quests sending you to an area and then walking back and then another quest sends you back to the area or having to go back and forth to deliver a letter to someone 5 feet away?), the UI elements are so lacking (no HP showing? Quest tracking inconsistent, node tracking inconsistent, etc), the game is slow for no reason (i.e. having to kill 55 boars for 4 livers?). Really it's so boring, there is no appeal to this game.

Anyway,
    I have to give it to Blizzard, I did forget how bad Classic actually was and I do say that retail is much better.

I suspect in the coming weeks the nostalgia will wear off for everyone (it seems to be already happening as full servers on day one are medium or low now) so players are dropping off like flies and this will just have been a big waste of development that could have been done to make retail much better.

Well, the ”concerns” you raise have been discussed frequently in news about classic, so I can’t see how you misses that?

In fact, most of the issues you mention are not concerns at all, but rather design choices. Perhaps an mmorpg is not your cup of tea?

This may surprise you: Lots of people love and can appreciate both - because they are different games made for different time periods.

Retail is a game made for an age where fast and immediate gratification and tangible rewards are required by its players.
    Classic was the game made for a slower paced journey.

Lots of people, obviously, love and appreciate the slower paced journey. Players today, however, are accustomed and used to immediate gratification - and those players will NOT like classic.
    Last edited by TyrianFC; 2019-08-30 at 08:11 AM.

Shocking.

Truly.

Most of us have been saying this for months. That Vanilla is shit and only succeeded because it was marginally better than everything else at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Oholyknight View Post
    I suspect in the coming weeks the nostalgia will wear off for everyone (it seems to be already happening as full servers on day one are medium or low now
    This is because blizzard changed how the servers calculated what was full high and medium literally two days ago.

Regarding other stuff i think you're missing the point. no one said classic was a better game.
    Me personally just find it more rewarding with everything being an actual challenge as opposed to facerolling everything.
    however this is my opinion as to why i prefer it. as if i wanted a hack and slash i'd play a hack and slash game.

Also having to actually work with people to complete a common goal together compared to retails push a button talk to no one. to be that isn't what an MMO is.

but as previously said your evidence for the hype fading already is based on false facts of server population indicatiors. a quote from a blue post.

"WoW Classic

Realm populations are now measured against a realm’s absolute capacity.
    Developers’ note: This system now measures each realm against a realm’s absolute capacity. Medium indicates a healthy total population on a realm—well in excess of what we considered Full in 2006—with room for more players to log-in. You’ll now see a High label if the realm is close to having a queue, and a Full label if the realm currently has a queue."

I feel the opposite. I love classic and it made me passionate about wow again.

I think it is different mindsets that come to play, none of them are wrong. Some like the more fast-paced gameplay of BFA and some like the grindy way of Classic.

I do think a decent amount of players will leave Classic. But I also think there will be a strong smaller dedicated community as well as casual players log in on from time to time. I disagree that it was a waste of development, that feels like you project your disappointment :/ But time will tell.

Legion was amazing, and I am a classic fanboy. I dont like BFA, but I hope the next expansion improves the game.

It's ok If you prefer Retail, However when I began Vanilla WoW in 2005, I didn't immediately like the game. I stopped at level 10 but then returned later on and never stopped after that.

I didnt forget how classic was i knew exactly what i was getting into and i love it so far even after so many years.. all my friends are back we even created the same guild with same people and same name ������

BFA might be good for you but i never liked it i didnt touch it after doing heroic jaina.

Hm, lets check OP's post history...

Posted 2019-08-01: "I won't be playing Classic because it is an objectively bad game that will dead only a year or so after launch."

Shocking, another person hating on classic and making false posts about how they came to the realization that it was a bad game after playing it, while claiming that they were looking forward to it soooo much.

What is wrong with you OP? Let people who want to play classic enjoy it, it doesnt affect you in any way and posting bullshit like this is honestly just sad.
    Last edited by qwikz; 2019-08-30 at 08:16 AM.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have to admit,

Blizzard was correct. I did think I wanted Classic, I followed Classic news every single day and even took off work to play it on day 1. However, after playing to level 15 and putting about 15 hours into the game the nostalgia completely wore off.

Classic is not a good game. The mob mechanics are outdated with bad AI, the graphics are really really bad, the quests are so boring and bland (pick up x, kill z, talk to y) with no justification to be doing anything no cool story, the game design is horrible (quests sending you to an area and then walking back and then another quest sends you back to the area or having to go back and forth to deliver a letter to someone 5 feet away?), the UI elements are so lacking (no HP showing? Quest tracking inconsistent, node tracking inconsistent, etc), the game is slow for no reason (i.e. having to kill 55 boars for 4 livers?). Really it's so boring, there is no appeal to this game.

Anyway,
    I have to give it to Blizzard, I did forget how bad Classic actually was and I do say that retail is much better.

I suspect in the coming weeks the nostalgia will wear off for everyone (it seems to be already happening as full servers on day one are medium or low now) so players are dropping off like flies and this will just have been a big waste of development that could have been done to make retail much better.
    You dfon't like it, good for you. Classic is not for everyone. There's BfA if you enjoy a fast paced game, no need to force yourself with a game that you clearly don't like. Move on

I have to admit,

Anyway,

aaaand so it begins .

people warned you for years.

and some people didnt listen to warning

80% of people who played on launch day will quit before level 30 aka in a week.

it was inevitable.

classic is not a better game than retail, its a different game than retail.

It blows my mind that people went into wow classic expecting it to be X, when it turns out its Y. its 2019, not 1919. You can goole and find out everything you need to about games.

Yeah ofc alot is different, its been 15 damn years. What were people expecting? 15 years of constant changing in a ever less forgiving gaming world, everlasting fight to stay relevant.

So yeah. The game has changed. Yeah, the game might not be for the 2019 gamer. Yeah, it is something else than retail. Thats the whole point of releasing classic.

if classic was the same shit as retail, why bother releasing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kilrathal View Post
    This is because blizzard changed how the servers calculated what was full high and medium literally two days ago.
    This might be true, but most servers that had queues of 10,000+ on day one and two now have no queues at all and are sitting at medium to low.

That change makes it so MORE servers show as full and high than before the change, not less. Previously, a server that showed medium could have a queue, now that same server will show full, to indicate it has a queue.

Regarding other stuff i think you're missing the point. no one said classic was a better game.
    Essentially every discussion had about classic had most people on the classic side saying it's a better game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

Rofl

I have to admit,

Anyway,

Dear sir or madam,

1) U need to discover what options in game menu you actually have. It will solve a lot of ur "issues". Open your eyes and u'll see!
    2) Do u know how many servers Blizzard added to make most of them work without eternal queues? 1 bazillion. Of course now we have servers with marks like high or medium or even low. It doesn't mean they have less people though and u know why? Cause Blizzard a) doubled the servers max capacity b) changed the system of servers population marks.
    and finally...
    3) When you don't like something it's fine to express ur opinion and bla bla bla but well u're obviously not a 15-year old youngster to generalize with words like "everyone". And btw RETAIL is a big waste of development

This might be true, but most servers that had queues of 10,000+ on day one and two now have no queues at all and are sitting at medium to low.
    At this moment...sure...but at least on the NA servers...it's between 1 and 4 am.

Log in during prime time and the large queues are still there on plenty of servers.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by xentaruman View Post
    1) U need to discover what options in game menu you actually have. It will solve a lot of ur "issues". Open your eyes and u'll see!
    There is no interface option to turn on enemy HP, this is a feature in Classic.
    Quests not tracking despite having "track quest on" is on the list of "not a bug" on the official classic forums, this is a feature of Classic.
    Tracking nodes being removed randomly, on log out or death is a feature of Classic.

Prime time has 90% of servers either high or full.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshingo View Post
    Shocking.

Truly.

Most of us have been saying this for months. That Vanilla is shit and only succeeded because it was marginally better than everything else at the time.
    Most of you have also been waiting to write how you were right in a thread created by some randomer. Surely, everyone must think Retail is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    At this moment...sure...but at least on the NA servers...it's between 1 and 4 am.

Log in during prime time and the large queues are still there on plenty of servers.
    My server "Atiesh" was at low at 6-7 PM today, if that is not prime time, I have no idea what is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Liftbrul View Post
    Prime time has 90% of servers either high or full.
    That is simply not true. Only a small couple of servers are high or full. 90% of the other servers are either medium or low. WoWhead's classic queue tracker can confirm this to be true as well.