Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendChris View Post
    I know how to kite & select mobs to pull, but between hitting one mob & 3 others who weren't even close come running, to killing one & two more spawn right on top of me, it is sometimes hard. I have played a mage for 10 years now, I know what I'm doing. I think. I hope?
    You have to approach packs of mobs differently. I'll usually pick one out of a group and LoS it or run far enough away that if it runs away I won't end up with the rest of the pack. Humanoids almost always run and beasts almost never run, keep that in mind while questing and pull accordingly and you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Yet another amazing example of this wonderful "Classic Community" we keep hearing so much about.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you representative of the entire classic "community" or are some of them a bit more polite?
    Good thing im a wrath baby

So I am almost to level 20 on my mage & let me say it has been a painful grind to say the least. I die A LOT! I got frustrated & decided to roll a Paladin; plate armor & healing abilities, unstoppable right? Um, no. I survive a bit better; now I can pull 3 maybe 4 mobs if I get lucky, but I'm far from invincible . This game is just hard & that is okay. Now I'm playing my mage again & not feeling like a squishy nub.

So far this is the best thread about classic. so many responses ree ing without fully reading

The major advantage with a hunter, you are just as fast as a mage, with zero downtime and are able to do it with simple solo questing.

A mage can only compete with heavy AoE grinding and lots of downtime.

The current classic level ranking google doc got a few solo players with much less time /played as the #1 mage and if you sleep 8+ hours you cant beat shared accounts, so there is that.

Seeing a mage gathering lots of mobs, dying at even the smallest mistakes while executing the AoE grind, hoping that the grind spot is not allready taken - MEANWHILE - ANY RANDOM HUNTER can just /petattack and /autoshow basicly at the same speed.

Even comparing those 2 classes is ridiculous.
    -

You're missing the majority of your classes kit. Level up and unlock more abilities and you'll have more ways to deal with enemies. A mage can pull 1-2 mobs at low levels but can pull 10 mobs at high levels due to their kit being broader.

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    Good thing im a wrath baby
    Good thing I said classic, and not vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    He is trying to kill 3-4 mobs of his own level in classic wow. Not an easy task. Right out impossible for rogue.
    I mean, once every 6 minutes I was doing that in Vanilla, at least in places with the Tauren camps in Feralas. I was using AR+BF+Evasion though.

High Overlord
    5+ Year Old Account
    Yea, level 20, now I have Blizzard. Things just got a lot more interesting. Thanks for all the advice people!

Quote Originally Posted by iETHOSi View Post
    Tell that to Jokerd, lol. Mage is quite possibly the best class for solo leveling, you just have to know the class pretty well.
    And abuse the layering technology and add in literal years of experience playing on (illegal) private servers doing speed runs. You need to add both those to get the true Jokerd experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    The major advantage with a hunter, you are just as fast as a mage, with zero downtime and are able to do it with simple solo questing.

A mage can only compete with heavy AoE grinding and lots of downtime.

The current classic level ranking google doc got a few solo players with much less time /played as the #1 mage and if you sleep 8+ hours you cant beat shared accounts, so there is that.

Seeing a mage gathering lots of mobs, dying at even the smallest mistakes while executing the AoE grind, hoping that the grind spot is not allready taken - MEANWHILE - ANY RANDOM HUNTER can just /petattack and /autoshow basicly at the same speed.

Even comparing those 2 classes is ridiculous.
    1. They have all more /played than him, you're wrong check again.
    2. He didnt share acc, 2 days behind on that too
    3 Several top solo hunters have said their pets were much weaker than on private servers meaning they were hell of a lot slower than thought to be 40+.

However you right though that hunter solo is faster anyways. Because if you're not ahead of the pack, having everything for yourself you're gonna do bad exp + ganks.

Quote Originally Posted by luciano View Post
    And abuse the layering technology and add in literal years of experience playing on (illegal) private servers doing speed runs. You need to add both those to get the true Jokerd experience.
    He used layering the last 2 lvls lol. He would still be over 7 hours ahead irl than the second 60 if he didnt use layering. Invalid point was made.

Quote Originally Posted by Postaldude View Post
    3 Several top solo hunters have said their pets were much weaker than on private servers meaning they were hell of a lot slower than thought to be 40+.
    The false estimated armor values for mobs on private servers could be the reason and it will hit every class just as hard. The insane high raid DPS from private servers were allways something not worth comparing with the real game.

Still surprised how much attention the 1-60 leveling got, since its such a minor time investment compared to what comes - honor farming for blue gear, attunaments, pre-raid gear farming and then you got raiding with even more pre-farming. Everything at max level completly dwarfs the 1-60 time spend.

What is even more strange, Retail got in every content patch much worse grinds timewise and the lack of noise about that, tells me at least something about the casual nature of the Classic community.
    -

The false estimated armor values for mobs on private servers could be the reason and it will hit every class just as hard. The insane high raid DPS from private servers were allways something not worth comparing with the real game.

Still surprised how much attention the 1-60 leveling got, since its such a minor time investment compared to what comes - honor farming for blue gear, attunaments, pre-raid gear farming and then you got raiding with even more pre-farming. Everything at max level completly dwarfs the 1-60 time spend.

What is even more strange, Retail got in every content patch much worse grinds timewise and the lack of noise about that, tells me at least something about the casual nature of the Classic community.
    You might be on to something there with the armor values yeah.

Well everything has to be a race now, first 60, first mount, first epic mount, first exalted rep etc LOL. Aslong as sane people understand they race themselves in the end and what other's do and dont affect them as much it should be okay :-)

Swing and a miss. The problem with retail timesinks is that they're so clearly and explicitly engineered as a means to retaining your sub and making you play every day for completely arbitrary reasons. If your number isn't high enough, whether it's Artifact Power or the 'fuck it, same shit, same initials - saves us time on the UI' BfA flavoured Azerite Power, you just have to play more and the RP justification is loose at best.

It's not grinding itself that's the issue, it's why you're having to do it to begin with.

At least with old school rep grinds it would be for an enchant, or an auttunement. There was a reason to do it. Now you have to grind so that you can get access to the same shit you had last tier, but at a higher ilvl. It's not the same thing.
    Last edited by Elkfingers; 2019-08-31 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Postaldude View Post
    1. They have all more /played than him, you're wrong check again.
    2. He didnt share acc, 2 days behind on that too

However you right though that hunter solo is faster anyways. Because if you're not ahead of the pack, having everything for yourself you're gonna do bad exp + ganks.

He used layering the last 2 lvls lol. He would still be over 7 hours ahead irl than the second 60 if he didnt use layering. Invalid point was made.
    "He only cheated at the end so therefore it's not cheating" is a strange take. But you do you, boo.

So I am almost to level 20 on my mage & let me say it has been a painful grind to say the least. I die A LOT! I got frustrated & decided to roll a Paladin; plate armor & healing abilities, unstoppable right? Um, no. I survive a bit better; now I can pull 3 maybe 4 mobs if I get lucky, but I'm far from invincible . This game is just hard & that is okay. Now I'm playing my mage again & not feeling like a squishy nub.
    10/10
    /10chars

Oh just 3-4 mobs? I play Warrior. I can't imagine what it feels like to pull this much.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have a problem pulling 3-5 mobs at a time and kill them eventually. One dies on his way, second dies during nova, evade, kill polymorphed one, drink, kill evaded mobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkfingers View Post
    Swing and a miss. ...There was a reason to do it. Now you have to grind so that you can get access to the same shit you had last tier, but at a higher ilvl. It's not the same thing.
    This kind of arguments are allways strange to hear for this endless MMO. Gear resets happen in one way or the other and your time spend for most things, is allways just weighted by yourself only.

Why grind pre-raid gear, when you could just wait, come back later and get a boost in T1.
    Why grind T1 gear, when you could just wait, come back later and get a boost in T2.
    etc.

As for the higher ilvl thing. Before TF you had vendor gear/catch up gear every tier and players just spend time to get them. The current iteration at least allows a bigger pool of items with different stats to be used every tier unlike the old system, wher the limited catch up gear could vary a lot between tiers.

The grind never changed, just the pool of usefull items got bigger.
    -

10+ Year Old Account
    Mage horrible? xD Try warrior. Mage is one of the best lvling class.