Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What Classic needs is better PvP

PvP content can be replayed for years if done correctly. The one thing that Classic WoW lacks is a competitive PvP system. Blizzard added Arena in TBC to try to fix this issue. Arena was not the right solution, and the developers even admitted to it. I understand the appeal of Arena. It is competitive and has a defined ranking system. However, pigeonholing players into a tiny area with pillars is not in the spirit of the game. The game is about the open world and the encounters in it.

The first change that should be made is to split the honor system into battleground and world pvp rankings. Honor earned in World PvP and honor earned in battlegrounds should have separate ranking systems. As we all know, the release of battlegrounds trivializes World PvP, since you can no longer viably rank up doing it. Part of what makes World PvP special is that it can happen in almost any zone of the game. You have 20 or 30 wide open playgrounds where players can engage in battle. The map is constantly changing.

The dilemma is how do you make World PvP more structured and competitive? There are 20 or so contested territories in Classic WoW. Unfortunately, most of the level 60 World PvP happens in Silithus, Searing Gorge, Plaguelands, and Winterspring. Level 60s should be incentivized to PvP in all the contested territories. Obviously, camping low levels in Redridge is not what I have in mind. However, every contested territory should have reasons for level 60 players to frequent them, so that there can be World PvP across all of Azeroth.

How do you add strucuture to World PvP in Classic WoW? Do you turn each contested territory into a temporary open world battleground? What if Tanaris had objectives similar to Arathi Basin with a resource score. The faction which earns the highest resource score wins the battle in Tanaris. What would these objectives be? How would you discourage mindless zerging? Could you have a ranking system based on player performance qnd contribution in each battle?

I love your passion about PvP, i share the same passion but...its Classic, we cant change it.
    Unless you are asking this for a possible Classic+

In that case...i just wanted a WANTED system but unliki the BfA one.
    More like putting prices on peoples heads and going hunting for them.
    Check the poster in the city and such

sure, pvp games can last forever if done right.

but who in their right mind started playing wow, especially back in the day, as a pvp game?

Quote Originally Posted by horbindr View Post
    sure, pvp games can last forever if done right.

but who in their right mind started playing wow, especially back in the day, as a pvp game?
    A lot of players. PvP servers are more popular for a reason.

Talking

Layering ruins wpvp this discussion is missing the key

U would have things to fight over at 60

Quote Originally Posted by Mukind View Post
    Layering ruins wpvp this discussion is missing the key

U would have things to fight over at 60
    Layering is gone in Phase 2 when the honor system begins

I loved arena in BC and Wrath when it was new, now days fuck no it's horrible.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by Worgenmaniac View Post
    Layering is gone in Phase 2 when the honor system begins
    idk about your server, but they ain't gonna end it on herod lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mukind View Post
    idk about your server, but they ain't gonna end it on herod lol
    Haha i know right

The Vanilla honor system is shit, skill is optional, primary factor is just having a buttload of time and someone who calls for queuedodging.

However, it's the system that it was, i also think that some things about Vanilla were just shit but it's best to leave at it is.
    The only thing i might've added in that regard is a seperate queue for organized groups, maybe throw in extra honor in order to make it feasible, so people that want random battlegrounds can enjoy them without getting stomped half of the time.

Alterac Valley should become like Wintergrasp.

Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Alterac Valley should become like Wintergrasp.

Problem solved.
    Lake Wintergrasp was Ashran-level bad.

A lot of players. PvP servers are more popular for a reason.
    Streamers and their mong viewer base.

PvP is, and always will be, a minigame.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Streamers and their mong viewer base.

PvP is, and always will be, a minigame.
    thats why classic pve servers are empty? lol

they're all interconnected, that's the beauty of classic

PvP gives you bis PvE loot on many classes, and vice versa

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Sorry, but as a casual PvP player, I *much* prefer Classic / Vanilla / BC over Retail WoW.

WoW PvP has never been good in a competitive basis, and this is the primary mistake Blizzard has made. If you want solid competitive PvP, you are better off playing one of the many MOBAs out there. WoW PvP on a casual basis, however, was actually pretty good initially and suggestions like the OP put out is part of what drove it into the garbage system it is today that very, very few (competitive or casual) actually enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Sorry, but as a casual PvP player, I *much* prefer Classic / Vanilla / BC over Retail WoW.

WoW PvP has never been good in a competitive basis, and this is the primary mistake Blizzard has made. If you want solid competitive PvP, you are better off playing one of the many MOBAs out there. WoW PvP on a casual basis, however, was actually pretty good initially and suggestions like the OP put out is part of what drove it into the garbage system it is today that very, very few (competitive or casual) actually enjoy.
    You make some good points. Classic itself is a pretty casual game. There aren't really competitive features. However, I think the honor system and battlegrounds wont hold interest long term.

PvP content can be replayed for years if done correctly. The one thing that Classic WoW lacks is a competitive PvP system. Blizzard added Arena in TBC to try to fix this issue. Arena was not the right solution, and the developers even admitted to it. I understand the appeal of Arena. It is competitive and has a defined ranking system. However, pigeonholing players into a tiny area with pillars is not in the spirit of the game. The game is about the open world and the encounters in it.

The first change that should be made is to split the honor system into battleground and world pvp rankings. Honor earned in World PvP and honor earned in battlegrounds should have separate ranking systems. As we all know, the release of battlegrounds trivializes World PvP, since you can no longer viably rank up doing it. Part of what makes World PvP special is that it can happen in almost any zone of the game. You have 20 or 30 wide open playgrounds where players can engage in battle. The map is constantly changing.

The dilemma is how do you make World PvP more structured and competitive? There are 20 or so contested territories in Classic WoW. Unfortunately, most of the level 60 World PvP happens in Silithus, Searing Gorge, Plaguelands, and Winterspring. Level 60s should be incentivized to PvP in all the contested territories. Obviously, camping low levels in Redridge is not what I have in mind. However, every contested territory should have reasons for level 60 players to frequent them, so that there can be World PvP across all of Azeroth.

How do you add strucuture to World PvP in Classic WoW? Do you turn each contested territory into a temporary open world battleground? What if Tanaris had objectives similar to Arathi Basin with a resource score. The faction which earns the highest resource score wins the battle in Tanaris. What would these objectives be? How would you discourage mindless zerging? Could you have a ranking system based on player performance qnd contribution in each battle?
    Lol. you compare brilliant PvP to your own style of competitive PvP.
    PvP is about fun. Its not about competitive. Thats only secondary. If you want it to be competitive, then you just want all the glory to yourself or a way to make money off it. Classic PvP is fun, creative, diverse and PvP most people enjoy (even Arena players).
    Nontheless, Competitive PvP can still be done in the form of BGs in Classic being able to rank up all the way to R14. Its so competitive, that people just give up on reaching R14 since it takes alot of time effort and dedication, compared to the competitive PvP we have today.

So if you want competitive PvP, go try and reach ranks through BGs.
    If you really want fun and enjoyable PvP without competitive aspects to it, go do World PvP. Something that made Classic PvP unique in its own way.

Classic+ ... Dare to dream!!!

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I loved classic, but my favorite classes to play are balance druids, and protection paladins, 2 completely broken and worthless specs in classic WoW. If i could choose one thing to change from classic to classic +, it would be better class balance, without the removal of their identities.