Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Post Rant about your struggles to find a main here

So I had a lot of issues deciding on a main. Here's my rant:

Orc Shaman, it's 01:00 on release and I have taken a whole week off work to play all day. I level to lvl 13 before going to bed.

I gotta reroll. I can't be Horde. Ironforge all day. I gotta go Alliance. Go a Gnome Mage. They are perfect in every aspect of the game. I delete my horde and reroll.

Gnome Mage, now level 14. It's a Frostbolt and drink life. It's OK but I start to think about the future of being a Water vendor, being the most common class in the game, and outside Blink, I just don't like the playstyle (Iceblocks, Cold Snap, PoM+Pyro...). On paper it's the perfect class on both PvE and PvP but I just can't do it.

I gotta reroll. I can't be a mage. I gotta play a healer. I love healing, and being helpful. I wanna raid as a healer, and just respec for world PvP.

Human Paladin. Get to level 16. I go to sleep. I forgot, I play on the Firemaw realm. 25000 in queue. Was playing a Paladin really that fun? Screw this queue time, my friends reroll.

I gotta reroll. I can't have 25000 queue. I gotta play with my friends. Paladin was too slow of a playstyle anyway. 5 minute blessings? What a pain. It will be impossible to get gear and gold for active world PvP as a healing Paladin.

Night Elf Priest. It's the ultimate healer. Get to level 20. 4 whispers about fearward. Enjoying Deadmines. Who cares about fearward, a NE Priest is a million times better than any of the other healer classes... But what about that World PvP though?

I gotta reroll. Priests are so immobile. It's just no movement increasing abilities at all. What's so fun about them except Mind Control and Mana Burn anyway? Even as shadow they can't win a 1v2 situation in World PvP...

Night Elf Hunter. Level 14 easy mode. Huge damage in world PvP. Way easier to get group than any of those melees. I can't wait to Vipersting all the healers. Who cares if I take all the weapons in the game, who cares if I do low raid damage.

I gotta reroll. Hunters are selfish and they are hard to get a raid spot with. I don't like the pet management. I want to be a healer.

Human Paladin (again, on the new server). Level 11. It's still got the same problems I was thinking about last time I played this class.

I gotta reroll.

Gnome Warlock. Level 9. It's what I played in Vanilla. Warlocks are amazing in both world PvP and loved in PvE for their summons and healthstones + they scale with gear.

I gotta reroll. Undeads will be a nightmare, I remember regretting it in PvP in Vanilla. People will get lazy and ask for summons and I will just get salty. I don't really like having pet management anyway. Why am I not playing a healer again?

Orc Shaman (again). I had it right the first time. I have been playing a Shaman since TBC. It is my love, it is my passion. Windfury, Windfury totem, Tremor Totem, Poison Cleansing Totem, Grounding Totem, Purge, Chain Lightning, Chain Heal, easy class to get raiding with, easy class to do PvP with, lots of shared gear between Resto and Ele. Enhancement fun for the memes. Elemental burst is amazing in PvP. Resto is super desired in PvE and PvP. It's the perfect class. It's my calling. I can't reroll again. Wolfform, amazing. Windfury, amazing. Level 40, Elemental is now better than Enhancement. I respec. Level 42. It's a LB and Drink life.

I gotta reroll. World PvP, I am getting demolished by most classes, they just burst too fast. I sit around in Thunderbluff. Undercity is trash, Thunderbluff is OK, but it's so inconvenient and empty. Ogrimmar is not cozy at all. I am tired of Undead Rogues stealing my quest mobs without remorse. I am tired of most undeads in general. I jump off the elevator and go to sleep.

It's today. I still don't know what to do. Alliance is a must. It's where the friends are. It's where I belong... Hmm...

How's your struggle in finding a main been so far?
    Last edited by MiiiMiii; 2019-09-05 at 09:47 AM.

You have too much time on your hands if you've managed to level all those characters to those levels.

I rolled a rogue. I'm still a rogue.

Cat Druid cause cat is for fight! If you can stay awake to 20 to become one that is and they don’t get their full power till 32 ...

I did the research prior to the game coming out so I wouldn't have this problem.

No struggle at all. I did my decision with all pros / cons and stay with it - maybe you have to change your mindset :-)?

And I thought I re-rolled a lot. I started on release as Paladin lvl 5, then re-rolled on a less occupied server again as paladin lvl 8, that server became full, re-rolled again on a new server lvl 15. Started a Mage on Horde because of a friend is now lvl 23. Deleted my lvl 15 Paladin, didn't like that my Horde and Alliance character was on same server and started on another server, lvl 19 now Paladin yet again.

It boiled down to me that I wanted Horde and Alliance separate and I didn't want any queue at all. Class was always gonna be Alliance Paladin and Horde Mage. Funny it was never annoying to start again, Classic leveling is just fun.
    Last edited by Qnubi; 2019-09-05 at 09:56 AM.

I had no struggle at all. Ez warlock. I'm more worried about faction imbalance on my server that seems to be getting worse by the day.

My friend,

I can sympathise. I have a bit of an obsessive mind when it comes to race/ class combos and my goals in WoW classic.

I think your main detriment is the amount of time you have had to get wholly immersed in the game. A whole week playing? I would be in your shoes as well. Too much time to think about WoW, analyse every choice. Alts all over the shop and minimal true progress made.

I was unable to take any time off, and launch weekend, thankfully, I had social plans that kept me away from screen-holing for days on end. When I play I have a few hours max to do so, then I may have to break for a few days.

As I have probably logged only 17 hours or so, it means my focus has been solely on ONE character, my beloved Orc Warrior. Every moment I get to play the game has become a precise operation, as I know if I spend too long flip/flopping between alts and factions, I will make no meaningful progress and end up falling far behind of the release schedule.

Three main points of advice:

1. DON'T delete these alts. Let them stay. You never know when you might want to jump back onto a character so let them keep the time you have dedicated to them. Time is precious!

2. Take time off the game. Being separated from it will allow you to come back and work out what you really missed playing.

3. If your heart belongs to the Horde but your friends play alliance (trust me I've been there), have a horde main and an alliance main. Every time you play and none of your friends are online. Play Horde. When your friends are online and you can party together, play Alliance.

I managed to conclusively fix my alt nightmares by deciding on a strict roster, one of each race, one of each class and armor type, with a viable tank, healer and 2 dps per faction. I give those characters a story and though it may take my whole life to level them to 60, these are 'characters' in the truest sense of the word, not just alts. To illustrate:

Horde: Orc warrior, Troll Shaman, Tauren Druid, Undead Mage.
    Alliance: Human Paladin, Night Elf Hunter, Gnome Rogue, Dwarf Priest.

With an orc warlock as Orcs are my fave race and I'm counting warlocks as a hero class as they are the only 'dark' class in vanilla. It took me a long time to fit this roster together and sometimes I want to shake it up, but I'm sticking with it. WoW classic is all about discipline baby. Good luck, fellow altoholic.

Yeah i had similar thoughts. My only toon In vanilla (and main to this day) was a gnome warlock (now orc because faction imbalance/Gul Dan). I promised myself not to roll one this time as I wanted to play on a pvp server Alliance side.

Went full retard this time and i love it: NE feral druid (now 34). Sticking to it and loving it so far. I do not regret as dungeons pugs mostly only accept mage for aoe farming anyway. Feral or rogue, would have been the same thing. Found a guild as well accepting me as feral dps for raiding (melee group).

With that said, I also rolled a rogue on a pve server (now 17). I might twink it at 19 though.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    Cat Druid cause cat is for fight! If you can stay awake to 20 to become one that is and they don’t get their full power till 32 ...
    What this guy said, also druids work great for indecisive players
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm level 14 on my first character after about 9h of gametime.

The very idea of rerolling again makes me want to dryheave.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

The default class in vanilla/classic will be allways hunter (BM HUNTER).

> Cheap in raids (nude-FD = zero rep costs), the BEST GRIND CLASS by far and you dont even need gear (green/quest gear is everything you need).
    > PVP: there is no hard counter for hunter and you can harass a lot of classes with the toolkit you have
    > Gold: you can solo farm dungeon, elites with no gear, nothing comes even close to this in gold farming.
    -

I was going to do an Orc Warrior. I got him to about level 17 last week. Friday, I realized that I've always preferred Alliance and Paladin is my favorite class fantasy so I re-rolled to a Human Paladin. I just hit level 22 on him last night. However I have this nagging voice in the back of my head to roll a Warrior so I can tank if I want (in raids I Mean), even though I greatly prefer the paladin's lore, even the gameplay style (boring as it is) to a Warrior. So I think I'm going to just stick with the Paladin and see how it goes, since I only started in late Wrath so this is all new to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Level a rogue to 28 and rerolled to mage. Now thinking of switching again to warrior. Its hard man.

This decision was easy as shit... roll something I never played thoroughly before,
    so maining a hunter and lovin' it.

Also, I've only played Alliance ... so of course I rolled Horde.

yeah it was pretty simple for me, I played a human priest pretty much exclusively since classic i've done many alts but never switched mains, so it was a good opportunity to play horde and i've always wanted to try be an MT so warrior it was. I actually don't mind warriors between their 3 specs they did actually have a fair share of abilities. they are the best tanks and they are also quite nasty as arms in pvp. I love running dungeons but I didn't really wanna dps or heal again.

i will make the choice for you and you must stick to it

you will roll a nightelf priest, you will be healing-only
    top guild member
    multi gladiator

giving wow insight daily - expert in wow

Rolled a rogue but I keep thinking about playing other classes. Being an alt o' holic isn't an easy life.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

Shaman lvl 34. I have an alt warrior I play if I feel I'm burning out, generally I get a level a day post 35. Then i play something else.

Quote Originally Posted by MiiiMiii View Post
    *Snip*
    Don't you realize you need to roll a druid ?

Joking aside, healing - check , tanking - check, strong and diverse leveling toolkit - check , can pvp in their pve spec - check , can't 1v2 but nothing can really kill you unless you want them to so there's that. It's a fun class that fit the bill for those who want to roll everything , altoholics and all.