Questing vs dungeon spam?

So which one is faster?

I have my paladin low level and a hunter on follow which is lvl60.

I am just questing at the moment and having the hunter kill everything for the quests (I know less experience from kills but quests get done faster), would it be better to jump into dungeon spamming and have then hunter just kill everything?

I wouldn't recommend dungeon spamming unless you manage to sneak yourself into a spellcleave group, those are pretty effective.

I dungeon spammed with pugs my way to 70 and it was a blast

It can get tiresome after a while though... for example I did sethekk halls from 66 to 69 and it was a bit tough, however I sweated it a bit because I wanted to be 70 asap.

If you take it easy and get rested xp is gonna be much smoother

If you are going to play a DPS you can mix dungeon and quest/grinding.

Do dungeon/grinding till honored and after that quest

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoLarcos View Post
    I dungeon spammed with pugs my way to 70 and it was a blast

It can get tiresome after a while though... for example I did sethekk halls from 66 to 69 and it was a bit tough, however I sweated it a bit because I wanted to be 70 asap.

If you take it easy and get rested xp is gonna be much smoother

If you are going to play a DPS you can mix dungeon and quest/grinding.

Do dungeon/grinding till honored and after that quest
    My paladin is only 30, so I'm talking about using a high lvl to boost dungeons or questing with the high lvl killing everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Healzerbot View Post
    My paladin is only 30, so I'm talking about using a high lvl to boost dungeons or questing with the high lvl killing everything.
    efficient dungeon runs are faster, but not by a drastic measure. It's best to do both and mix it up. Some zones are better for questing, like nagrand, but there's also some easy dungeons you can smash in 30 min or less even without a boost

If you have a geared cleave group so you can pull a lot and aoe down, it may be a little faster to dungeon spam, by no means a lot faster. Otherwise a mix of questing and dungeoning to complete the quests.

If you know the quests, it's the fastest way to level solo.

Farm dungeons till honored, them do the rep quests

The most efficient way is doing dungeons until honored and then do the quests.

If you have no competition or pvp to worry about then questing is the fastest way.

Doing dungeons depends on your group. If you blast through every dungeon in 20 minutes then dungeons could be even faster than questing. A single dungeon rewards about 10-15% exp if you are not rested. You do the math.

If you're levelling a gathering + combined crafting profession you can kill two birds with one stone and I definitely benefitted from that, maxing my mining/blacksmithing with materials left over, and all done passively while levelling. But all the fastest levellers in my guild did the dungeon spam, it's definitely faster if you have somewhat decent gear and a good group setup (so either physical cleave or spell cleave).

Does depend on gear though, boosted chars are extremely lacking compared to a raid geared 60. The Naxx geared guys were ready to clear all level 70 content in their 60 gear, so you can imagine how much faster they clear normal dungeons than someone just levelling through the world or a boosted char.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

So which one is faster?

I have my paladin low level and a hunter on follow which is lvl60.

I am just questing at the moment and having the hunter kill everything for the quests (I know less experience from kills but quests get done faster), would it be better to jump into dungeon spamming and have then hunter just kill everything?
    IMO low level dungeons are only worth doing with quests or as part of a cleave farm, that and you'll find your Hunter will start to struggle to solo full dungeons past level 40 unless it's really well geared. From 40-60 I think you're much better off questing, even consider out of party tagging so you get full XP on your Pally.

dungeon spam is only faster if you have a consistent group that is geared and can aoe down multiple packs at a time. If you're just going to pull 1 pack at a time it's going to be slower.

A dedicated group of the right classes will do well, but dont rely on randoms, they tend to leave after one run, and you will spend half your time just trying to find people. Once you hit TBC that will change.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Break The Ice View Post
    dungeon spam is only faster if you have a consistent group that is geared and can aoe down multiple packs at a time. If you're just going to pull 1 pack at a time it's going to be slower.
    What @Break The Ice said - this is bang on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

If you "dungeon spam" for rep while leveling you're gonna be doing each dungeon 10+ times.

...or, you can just quest normally to 70 and then do the level 70 dungeons like 6-7 times and you'll be revered for heroics. And get lots of preraid BIS items along the way, as opposed to the leveling dungeons giving you vendor trash.

3+ Year Old Account
    Questing and dungeons just one with its quests is the most efficient way to level up. Forget about dungeon spamming, it is not optimized unless you are doing it just for the reps.

For 58-70, id dungeon spam at least the first few repa to honored.

Questing is gonna be a little bit faster than pugging dungeons, but at 70 you'll have to do the 70 dungeon of that rep 5ish times to get revered for the heroic key.

Benefits of questing - can do by yourself. Prob slightly faster. Only "need" 5 dungeons to reach revered.

Benefits of dungeon grinding - hit honored first, allowing to quest to revered and onward at 70. These quests grant extra gold at 70. Get all the blues from lvling dungeons since u run it so much. Can shut brain off.

Not much of a dif either way. Alt is a prot pally so im dungeon grinding and burning thru rested xp

The biggest benefit of dungeon spamming is that you will still have the quests available for the reputation grind later on. This is the only reason why I would recommend it, but it's also so strong of a reason that you don't even want to do anything else to be honest.

Grinding dungeons will put you revered with all fractions once you hit 70. Then, you can quest yourself all the way up with only little to do before hitting exhalted. Not to forget that you'll have lots of extra gold through quests after that.

It's a bit tiresome but it makes many things a lot easier, not to forget all the loot you'll take with you.

From what I have found Is that I only get like 10K exp per quest turn in and I get 1100-1300exp per kill while in a dungeon group. So even on the high end that is 9 mobs in a dungeon vs endlessly doing dungeons that do not reward anything. I personally prefer dungeons and have basically done them from 58-65 on my boosted Druid.

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    From what I have found Is that I only get like 10K exp per quest turn in and I get 1100-1300exp per kill while in a dungeon group.
    That's true, but most of your quests also require you to kill x amount of mobs and each of those mobs also give about 500 exp depending of the difference in level between you and the mob.

I personally do a few dungeons a week. If I had to level from 58 to 70 with dungeons only I'd burn out within a few days

Just dont group up with the hunter, tag the mobs and let him kill them? You get full mob xp this way.