Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Thumbs down Will "Get all the rares/Treasures" be a guaranteed thing every expansion?

When Timeless Isle came out, I remember thinking "Jesus, they took the fun rare hunting thing from Isle of Thunder and increased it by 1,000%."

I remember camping at certain spots and just waiting to kill a rare... and stayed camping because it didn't drop the rare treasure... again. Endless, endless farming of rares, just hoping it will finally, finally drop that one damn item. Then I'll be free.

That was in MoP. And it feels like it's been in every expansion since. Like a requirement. "Every expansion MUST have a Kill all 40 rares" achievement, but possibly a maddening, enraging "Loot all 80 rare treasures" achievement, too.

BC:

[Bloody Rare]

WotLK:

[Frostbitten]

Cata:

MoP:

[Champions of Lei-Shen]

[Timeless Champion]
    - [Going To Need A Bigger Bag]

[Jungle Stalker]

Legion:

[Commander of Argus]

BfA:

[I Thought You Said They'd Be Rare?]
    - [Give Me the Biggest Bag You've Got]

[Rest In Pistons]
    - [Junkyard Architect]

Does anyone actually find these fun? "A sense of pride and acomplishment", yadda yadda...

And is anyone actually looking forward to even more of the same in the next expansion, which to me seems practically guaranteed, as if it's a lazy, unimaginative requirement to throw it in?

Not a fan of these "Collect everything" achievements at all. Sure I can just avoid them and I am doing precisely that, but it sucks that sometimes really cool rewards are attached to them, like the Mechagon mount :/

Edit: I think the "Kill each rare" one is cool. But having to collect items that don't have guaranteed drops is really just not fun.

My opinion as someone who has done all of these is that killing the rares is actually kinda fun. Since you basically spend time discovering the world and finding those rares even if you just check where it is from wowhead. Every rare seems to be somehow connected to the areas they are roaming. Only gripe I had was the Nazjatar Bag achievement and that was because some of the items had absolutely abysmal droprates. After killing over 1k mobs for one item you really start to hate it.

People have actually been asking for a return of true rares, timeless isle style, for years now. Most of the rares in Legion and Wod have been 1-minute respawn rares that aren't really rare. Nazjatar and Mechagon are something many of us have been calling for.

Of course you are entitled to your own opinion, and it's not like those achievements are somehow obligatory either. I disagree that Commander of Argus is similar to what we have in the current patch. Those rares were not rare at all. Some of them just required a specific summon method, which most of them time you could actually ask someone to do for you, and some were just available when the WQ was up. Nothing hard about that achievement. Same goes for Tanaar rares.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    Not a fan of these "Collect everything" achievements at all. Sure I can just avoid them and I am doing precisely that, but it sucks that sometimes really cool rewards are attached to them, like the Mechagon mount :/

Edit: I think the "Kill each rare" one is cool. But having to collect items that don't have guaranteed drops is really just not fun.
    There is an alternative to the mount from Mecha-done achievement, getting one from Rustfeather If you're just doing it for the visuals of a mount and not to get as many as possible, you can pick one of the two.
    Last edited by Azerate; 2019-09-15 at 12:13 PM.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account

Mechagon one was quite good imo, none of the rares were impossible to get, the rest was just doing the content. At least gives some real incentive to get out there and get some work done.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    People have actually been asking for a return of true rares, timeless isle style, for years now. Most of the rares in Legion and Wod have been 1-minute respawn rares that aren't really rare. Nazjatar and Mechagon are something many of us have been calling for.

Of course you are entitled to your own opinion, and it's not like those achievements are somehow obligatory either. I disagree that Commander of Argus is similar to what we have in the current patch. Those rares were not rare at all. Some of them just required a specific summon method, which most of them time you could actually ask someone to do for you, and some were just available when the WQ was up. Nothing hard about that achievement. Same goes for Tanaar rares.

There is an alternative to the mount from Mecha-done achievement, getting one from Rustfeather If you're just doing it for the visuals of a mount and not to get as many as possible, you can pick one of the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    Mechagon one was quite good imo, none of the rares were impossible to get, the rest was just doing the content. At least gives some real incentive to get out there and get some work done.
    Timeless Isle (5.4) was my favourite WoW patch and hub. Especially the rares and the coin grinds. And I thoroughly enjoyed both Mechagon and Nazjatar. I progressed quite a bit into them. I did get most of the rares and they aren't the problem. The Rustfeather mount is not an alternative to the Mechagon achievement one. It is a different colour and it looks bland and boring. The Mechagon achievement one has a wonderful colourpalette. Well, I won't be getting it in the next few years though so I guess I should just try to forget it as best I can.

I didn't mind the ones for Nazjatar or Mechagon because those were ones I got just by going to both zones doing my daily shit for 30 mins each day and slowly getting them all over time. I still don't have Bloody Rare or Frostbitten because back when I cared about those, the rares were really hard to get and they had long respawn timers. Now that it would be easy to get them (sharding, server jumping etc) I don't even care that much to do it. When I occasionally visit Outlands or Northrend for old raids or dungeons I might fly by a spawn point and see if I get lucky but that's about it.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of "kill every rare on this list" but I guess if they changed it more along the route of "kill a rare in X" and then it stops at second or third step like "kill 5 rares", "kill 10 rares", then I think I would like it better. Having to kill them all is a bit of a bummer.

Well, I won't be getting it in the next few years though so I guess I should just try to forget it as best I can.
    Why not?

Mecha-done is basically a month of some daily gameplay, and then about 5 minutes of attempting the more rare drops (vinyls mostly, and possibly some blueprints). It's not that hard at all. You can get unlucky and it can take like another month, but it's just killing steel singer freza every day + doing rig.

Nazjatar is mostly hard because of the Mardivas achievement that is weekly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerilo View Post
    Would be vastly preferable if they kept it at some percentage, 80% or so. We all have those last few that just feel discouraging beyond belief to even begin farming.
    Even the "kill all" achievement aren't really hard. All rares except for like 3-4 are just on a respawn timer and require no preparation. Those 3-4 are a tad harder to get, that's it. So the achievement basically requires killing all those easy ones, that you will get by just playing the game. The dificulty is in killing those couple ones that are harder to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    Why not?

Mecha-done is basically a month of some daily gameplay, and then about 5 minutes of attempting the more rare drops (vinyls mostly, and possibly some blueprints). It's not that hard at all. You can get unlucky and it can take like another month, but it's just killing steel singer freza every day + doing rig.

Nazjatar is mostly hard because of the Mardivas achievement that is weekly.
    I don't want to burn out. And too many other things to focus in life right now. And leveling all classes to max before next expansion takes priority. And getting all Warfront sets before expansion ends since they will likely be removed the way those CM sets, CM weapons and Mage Tower skins got removed.

Yes.

It's pretty clear it engages players well beyond the initial release (people still go back to Argus, IoT and TI) and it offers a means of progression that doesn't rely on instanced, organized content.

It's safe to consider this kind of design a staple by now. I just treat it the same way I always do, I do what I feel like and then leave it behind.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest I want them to add an achievement like this for vanilla rares in EK/Kalimdor. Would be really nice to have. There's so many cool rares scattered throughout the old world and it would add incentive to travel old zones searching for rares.

Yes, I think these achievements are fun to work toward over time. I completed the timeless isle Bigger Bag in Legion and I'm still working on the coins. This gives me something to do on my downtime.

What is not fun is the recent rep grinds where you have to wait for more world quests to show up, then trek across the map for them. They should at least have made every mob in the zone give 10 rep or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    The thing is, CRZ has killed the idea of making them rare anyway. People just sit on the spot and DON'T EVEN LOOK IN THE WORLD. Instead they are just browsing through LFG for groups in the same zone so they can hop and find a respawn. I think once that started happening Blizzard just gave up with longer respawn times.

What I want is for them to just make them fucking deadly. Give them mechanics that you have to do or die.
    I thought the pandaria rares were quite good for that because each type had a oneshot/deadly mechanic and they weren't super easy to kill until later when you had some gear and you had learned their mechanics.

What I hate are 30+ minute camps with 0.5% droprates.

That's not fun, that's just literally sitting there staring at birds.

I don't mind achievements to "kill all new rare mobs", or collect "all these new things". What I mind is the low drop rate.
    I also hate camping for something that will get one-shotted and I may not get the tag, and then extremely low drop chance on top of that aka Timeless Isle. Fucking hate that place.

I'm Mecha-done and I got the Undersea Ursurper, those were fun to a certain degree(1 vinyl wasn't fun at all). Killing all the rares was kinda entertaining as well, finding people to camp the scale-matriarch spots, looking for siltstalker groups to hope for packfather to spawn etc was worth it and felt nice checking it off. Terribly low dropchances suck though. It's not fun to get into mechagon weekly with 8 chars to open 1 mechanized chest, to then be able to open a box, in which the "king mechagon-mini" has a 0.7% dropchance, while you have each of the other minis about 20-30 times each. It's not fun to have over 100 kills of each soundless rustfeather and arachnoid harvester without getting a mount. It's not fun to miss 6 items for the biggest bag av, while being at >60 Vor'koth kills without pet(which is supposed to be not super bad chance), and with the bags and the snapdragon scent thing having ABYSMAL drop rates. Sub 1% dropchances aren't fun. ~5-10% dropchances would be fine.

If only they'd do ALL of those achievements right...

... fully and completely account wide, that is.

It completely takes out the fun out of playing another character when one of the few rares that "the character who is doing the achievement" needs appears in front of you. I mean, it's already a time-waster, but you can't even do things on a character that needs it because you HAVE to wait and wait on the chosen character that has everything and won't be doing anything of value in the meantime.

Account wide. Everything.
    Once upon a time... the end. Next time, try twice upon a time.

Sorry OP but the game should never be designed around people who just want to have EVERYTHING. Completionists/obsessive collectors are an unhealthy minority, that can never be satisfied unless they get everything, no matter if they like it or not.

Can't have true rares anymore due to c___ selling them. Crz and shards made them borderline exploitable. You can easily buy time lost protodrake now. They find it. take it away and sell the kill. Is this what you want ? this should be sorted by blizzard

I liked the BC and WotlK one, cus rares were on a long respawn and it was "hard" to get compared to mop and newer. nowadays they're instant spawn, but lose the rare tag after you've killed it <.< makes no sense.