Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up Night Elf Classic Player Models

Does anyone feel like the classic models look and feel better than retail? I can't say that for the majority of races. I think the updated models look fantastic. But Night Elves...I can't quite put my finger on it.
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Yes and no. I think some of the Female Night Elf faces look better on Classic but the rest of the model looks worse. Every other model I think is vastly improved with the Modern versions.

Classic Human Male:

Modern Human Male:

It's not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    Does anyone feel like the classic models look and feel better than retail? I can't say that for the majority of races. I think the updated models look fantastic. But Night Elves...I can't quite put my finger on it.
    No, all models look horrible in classic. It's as if they were made like 17 years ago or something. Oh, wait...

I don't know if I would go as far as to say the old Vanilla model is better but yes, the updated HD version suffers a lot from same face. There's also the issue that Night Elf hair and beards look like shit compared to most of the other updated models.

10+ Year Old Account
    My problem with new models is that they don't look enough like the old ones. It's like they used same template for all of the faces and only made slight adjustments and texture changes to quickly make them look different.

Quote Originally Posted by Factsbeforefeelings View Post
    Yes and no. I think some of the Female Night Elf faces look better on Classic but the rest of the model looks worse. Every other model I think is vastly improved with the Modern versions.

Classic Human Male:

Modern Human Male:

It's not even close.
    I prefer the old male human models. The updated ones just look..tacky. It doesn't help a lot of the hair on any of the newer models looks rather fake.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    Yes. I always said that their rework was terrible. They should have just increase polygon count and texture resolution.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah it's weird but the old models have something, most of the new models (with exceptions of course) feels like they're lacking some soul for some unknown reason

edit: yeah and on new models hair often looks so fake for some reason, I think it has to do with the color palette, on the old model textures are much more "gradient", on the new model it's more of the same color everywhere with less declination on the spectrum of color, while on the old ones they also mixed some colors in a subtle way even though the polygon count was lower
    Last edited by Cæli; 2019-09-28 at 08:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    No, all models look horrible in classic. It's as if they were made like 17 years ago or something. Oh, wait...
    orc female has way better anims in classic
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

5+ Year Old Account
    They ruined Undeads with the rework. Their old models look better.

Quote Originally Posted by Factsbeforefeelings View Post

Classic Human Male:

Modern Human Male:

It's not even close.
    A lot of the modern models look samey, face-wise. They look good, yes, but if you want to distinguish yourself from the other person the same race/sex as you you better do so in ways other than face.

Most of the old models look better than their newer counterparts, with one or two exceptions. Dwarves for example look pretty good, despite the lack of the classic rape face and penis nose. Orcs on the other hand look like slack-jawed apes, and the less said about human beard and hair options the better.

I always found that night elves had some of the best classic models, I also really like the undead model. The HD versions of orc and dwarves are a considerable improvement though.

the animations of fem nelf feel more natural. her faces are also so much fucking better.

the way her shoulders bounce when she jumps, how they shift slightly when changing direction. it's much better than on retail.

The old models look atrocious. Night Elf hands look like flippers and human males look like Bizarro from The Super Friends.

UD and NE old models are better. They really missed the mark with newer versions.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vsb View Post
    Yes. I always said that their rework was terrible. They should have just increase polygon count and texture resolution.
    Yes and no, animation updates needed to happen at some point I mean, updating JUST the polycount and texture resolution, would make monks look absolutely terrible for example. Also sometimes you couldnt even tell what was going on with the emote (not counting facial expression)
    Last edited by Alanar; 2019-09-29 at 02:00 AM.

I'm still surprised they didn't allow them to be toggled. There's really no reason they couldn't have done that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    I'm still surprised they didn't allow them to be toggled. There's really no reason they couldn't have done that.
    Different models, different riggings of items, then they would have had to make 2 of every visible item.
    Is what was told when we first asked why the option to view old model was removed, 99% sure.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by vsb View Post
    Not sure what it was that went wrong, they moved into the uncanny valley.