Poll: Which version of WoW had the best raids?

Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Which version of WoW had the best raids?

I want to hear your opinion.

/discuss
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Legion because it had such a good variety of raids, nice and fun strategies and atmospheres

WoTLK had some good raids, but only 2 raids managed to keep a great reaction.

WoD probably had the best raids, overall.

MoP, again, had very little raids that stood out.

Catacl...AHAHAHAHAHA--

TBC and Classic are about as generic as you could get.

And Legion would be top tier, but holy fuck, that Tomb of Sargeras BS...

BFA is kinda bland, but the raids are still kinda fun.

So, WoD and Legion for me. Mostly WoD, though. Highmaul and BRF are top tier.

- - - Updated - - -

My favorite raids: Ulduar, Antorus, and Highmaul/BRF. Simple as that.

I want to say TBC but a lot of it is nostalgia ofc and I don't know how well it would hold up. I had a lot of fun in MoP with ToT and Siege, Legion was pretty good. Heck even WoD was great if you just look at the raids. I think honestly most of these are pretty good with like the exception of Wotlk where only Ulduar was good imo.

Probably WoD.
    Warlock soloing https://www.youtube.com/user/Firedemon012 (old & abandoned)

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    BfA so far has the best raids IMO. It has variety of interesting mechanics, beautiful graphics, almost perfect tuning.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post

/discuss
    BC and Legion are disputing the prize imo. BC was generally *very* good overall, I still love the story and atmosphere of Black Temple and SWP. Hyjal was admittedly pretty lame, but Karazhan made.up for it - and more. It was truly a masterpiece.

Legion, on the other hand, was a quite mixed bag. EN was a resounding meh, not to mention that you barely had a clue about wtf you were doing there (unless you played a druid). Tomb was pretty, but the mechanics there were stupid, repetitive and overtuned as all !@#$, which in turn made for a quite boring raid overall. But NIghthold and Antorus were simply AMAZING, especially the former. I enjoyed those two raids more than anything since... well, Ulduar or SWP.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Each expansion either has a dud raid or fails to put forward any excellent raids. MoP is a good example HoF is one of the biggest turds to see raiding dragging down all other raids.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

MoP was definitely the most fun I had raiding at high end level. I liked ToS too, Maiden, Avatar and KJ mythic were amazing fights. Rest of legion raids were average to me though, especially Antorus, every boss was too easy until Aggramar.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post

/discuss
    I like the xmog from WoD.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

I did not play every expansion, and furthermore, in those that I did play, I wasnt always raiding, so my answer will be limited based on that.

For me personally it's BfA. I have a stable raiding team since day 1 of the expansion and we've been going through heroic in every tier so far. I also love the fact that we have 4 difficulties, and doing the last but final one (heroic) is the ideal difficulty for me personally.

I also loved Wrath, during which I mostly raided TOC and Icecrown on heroic, but that was a) too hard, and b) the raids were very simplistic back then.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly don't know that I can pick. I've liked raiding every expansion. It's easier for me to rank individual raids than expansions because every expansion has had at least one good raid. Although I have some very fond memories of classic, I can probably say it was the weakest for me. But choosing a best is much harder.

Most expansions have several raids I've really liked, and one I've been more apathetic towards. Also, some tiers I didn't like some of the tuning or systems supporting them (attunements, badges, etc) but liked the raid & encounter design. Others, like Legion, didn't have any raids I disliked but also didn't have any I really, really loved either. But most expansions are something like "really liked X, didn't like Y" which makes it really challenging to pick out a favourite from them.

If forced to pick, I'd probably err to BC since that's when I raided the most by far (seven days a week, some days with multiple raids in a row) but I didn't really like SSC, I didn't like attunements, and I didn't like the singular badge system, and I didn't like the class stacking Sunwell encouraged (I also like the multiple difficulty settings that started in Wrath and onward).
    intermittent unavailability
    please PM another global for urgent concerns

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

MoP Wod or Bfa (that will depend on last raid)

Voted Mists.

While Ulduar was and is my all time favourite raid, ICC was really not that strong besides Arthas. When i look at Mists...i liked Vault, i loved Throne and i liked some encounters in Siege, even though i did not like the raid as a whole. So Throne is the deciding factor for me.

Looking back...almost all other expanions could have gotten my vote, too - except for BFA. I will never forget my first steps into MC 15 years ago - that alone reservs a special place for that raid in my heart (even though its shit in most aspects). TBC brought raiding to a new level and the group i'm raiding with to this day formed in SSC/TK...the Kael fight was something i had not seen in WoW before and it only got better in BT. WotLK had Ulduar. Cataclysm had a FANTASTIC first raid tier. Mists got my vote. WoD had...well...Foundry was ok. Legion had Nighthold as its only memorable raid and even that was weaker than previous expansions, imho. BFA is the most disappointing expansion i have played - and its raids are no exception. The only thing i will remember from the raids of BFA once this expansion is over will be how underwhelming they were. Both from a narrative and mechanical PoV. They are also underwhelming in terms of loot.
    Last edited by Nathasil; 2019-09-18 at 01:11 AM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    WoD by far.

Super high quality raids regardless of whether or not the rest of the expansion was good or not. Personally WoD dungeons were some of the best too.

I shouldn't say by far. WoWs raiding is general is very high quality throughout every iteration of the game, with only a few clunkers (or what I consider clunkers). Wrath for me is one of the low points to me, simply because ToGC was bad (to me), Naxxaramas was devoid of difficulty, and ICC was just disappointing to me aside from Arthas (and one boss doesn't make a raid).

That's a hard one for me. Wrath had some great raids (Ulduar, ICC) and some real stinkers (... everything else bar Sartharion). Mists started slow with tier 14 but finished with an amazing raid and then a good one. Legion had two great raids, two OK ones, and a bad one. WoD had few raids, but Highmaul was decent, HFC good, and BRF great.

I voted Legion because I loved both Nighthold and Antorus, and got my first CE there as well. But it's a really close call.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hard to say for me. I haven't raided seriously (defined as mythic) since WoD.

For pure nostalgia/happy feelings, Wrath.
    For pure sense of what raiding "could" be like at the dawn of raiding for me, BC.
    For mechanics and actual enjoyment of progression- WoD.

Had a kid after WoD, so that pretty much retired me. For now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think this poll will fail because it's going to be mostly people who have only played the last few expansions. But I still voted TBC although I think WotLK is up there despite the crappy version of Naxx. TBC was amazing. I would love to do it again. There was so much to do it felt like. Karazhan to Gruul to Magtheridon. SSC/TK. Hyjal/BT then Sunwell. We haven't had variety like that in so long. Every raid now is the same amount of bosses in the same small similar sized raids.

MoP had one raid I hated which was HoF

It also had the moment where a Dev told a guild stuck on stoneguards 10n that they needed to be better

The gear was crazy as shit

The raids had such contrasting looks from just the first tier and almost saw a return to hard mode optional

But cata while spoiled by deathwing had some decent encounters let down by the devs too lazy to balance 10m and was the last expansion we saw really strong set bonuses

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Beet View Post
    I think this poll will fail because it's going to be mostly people who have only played the last few expansions. But I still voted TBC although I think WotLK is up there despite the crappy version of Naxx. TBC was amazing. I would love to do it again. There was so much to do it felt like. Karazhan to Gruul to Magtheridon. SSC/TK. Hyjal/BT then Sunwell. We haven't had variety like that in so long. Every raid now is the same amount of bosses in the same small similar sized raids.
    Clarify the last part??

We've had raids ranging from 2-12 bosses in the last few

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    That's a hard one for me. Wrath had some great raids (Ulduar, ICC) and some real stinkers (... everything else bar Sartharion). Mists started slow with tier 14 but finished with an amazing raid and then a good one. Legion had two great raids, two OK ones, and a bad one. WoD had few raids, but Highmaul was decent, HFC good, and BRF great.

I voted Legion because I loved both Nighthold and Antorus, and got my first CE there as well. But it's a really close call.
    Brf was good

I remember the last raid night before patch and my guild missed aotc by 5k hp because we were not farming gear for our new raiders and instead spent 3 weeks on blackhand

Well... I guess BfA? cos BfA contains all the raids that came before it still too