Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's not retail mentality, OP.

On the other hand, your refusal to make your own group and create a friendly circle of like-minded is "the retail mentality". Why aren't you playing with your friends instead of complaining about whatever the heck others are doing?

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    That's not retail mentality, OP.

On the other hand, your refusal to make your own group and create a friendly circle of like-minded is "the retail mentality". Why aren't you playing with your friends instead of complaining about whatever the heck others are doing?
    i dunno, retail mentality has always been pushing content with your group of friends.

only shit plebs pug, ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Estravolt View Post
    If you join a group that wants to push 10+, of course they want to go fast.
    There IS no "10+" in Classic. that's kind of the point - it's transplanting an attitude that makes some sense in retail into a version of the game where you have no such incentive.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    you have no such incentive.
    Doing things fast just for the sake of it and to save time is the only endgame in easy, demystified retro games like WoW Classic.

Speedrunning was bound to be the dominating playstyle. People better get used to it or they'll have to form their own groups and circles.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    we'll see. The thing is, there's no real benefit to running dungeons really fast, over and over. There aren't badges and for leveling dungeons, it only matters if you're trying to level in them.
    Maybe not to you, but pulling fast is fun to some people. It's fun to me. I love tanking with 3 mages, as much as I can actually tank with them (especially when they're not taking Frost Channeling), but our goal is to get as much xp as quickly as we can and get to the gear. Get out, reset instance, go back in and gogogo! Now that's our primary incentive for pulling big and fast, xp gain right now. Secondary incentive is just to see how much we can handle. I ran SM:Cath this past week with me tanking (lvl 41 feral druid), lvl 42 priest healer, and 3 lvl 50 mages. We were able to complete the dungeon in three pulls. We did it because it was fun AND I got a shit ton of xp very quickly. I enjoyed it. When i get to 60, i'll likely do the same thing with the same group make-up simply because it's how we like to play the game. If that's not how YOU want ot play the game then make a group of like-minded players and take your time in the dungeons doing whatever it is you get out of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHorner View Post
    Last night I joined a ZF group. It was aweful. People being rude to each other, or not communicating at all.
    Felt like I was doing a M+. But that was just one case... all my other runs were fun.
    You'll get more of that in tougher dungeons, people tend to be angsty in their 2 hour long dungeons when they require a bit more effort than pressing wand auto-attack and a heal once in 10 seconds.

It's like people saying "oh, look at the world in classic! everyone talk to each other and make groups, they buff each other and /wave", but then you ding level 50 and notice that people just stand around and wait for mobs to spawn not even bothering with grouping up, a rogue runs around and throws slurs at others for not being able to tag shit first, and do you think someone will jump off their mount to spend 1/3 of their mana to buff someone who happen to pass you by? Nah
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

I just did my second attempt at Uldaman with a different group.

It was HILARIOUS! LooooL

Our main tank spoke like "Groot". Meaning he was roleplaying and only saying his name. I think he was called "Ouef" or something similar.
    The chat was lively and we chatted along the instance.
    The tank roleplaying Groot and only said his name.

We managed to kill the last boss at levels 40-43
    We wiped attempting the "intended way". Then we cheesed it and pulled the last boss upstairs.
    Last edited by Big Thanks; 2019-09-18 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post

It was HILARIOUS! LooooL

Our main tank spoke like "Groot". Meaning he was roleplaying and only saying his name. I think he was called "Ouef" or something similar.

Pahahaha

We wiped attempting the "intended way". Then we cheesed it and pulled the last boss upstairs.
    Thanks for the blog entry I guess

You were promised the game, you see. Not the community or mentality from that time.

This is because of private server elitist mentality, nothing else

Quote Originally Posted by Estravolt View Post
    Thanks for the blog entry I guess
    Its just more proof of something i previously said.

"There is plenty of food for everyone"

There are plenty of fun/casual/noob groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post

It was HILARIOUS! LooooL

Loved it!

Nice so see some fun teams are still out there

Quote Originally Posted by Gratlim View Post
    Loved it!

Nice so see some fun teams are still out there
    It was extra fun at the start.
    We were struggling very much to find a tank. When we finally got him he was in Africa (very far away from badlands)

In the corner of my eye i see a voidwalker entering a cave.
    I told my group we could attempt to buy a summon from the warlock.

After some friendly talking a /trade 1 gold...the warlock agreed to summon our tank.

I love this game man...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by commakozzi View Post
    I ran SM:Cath this past week with me tanking (lvl 41 feral druid), lvl 42 priest healer, and 3 lvl 50 mages. We were able to complete the dungeon in three pulls.
    Again, I don't have a problem with this, but it wasn't not the dominant style in vanilla and likely won't be in classic, at least for the first year or so. It may well become that after a while because it's a way to challenge yourself and if they never add anything to Classic people will come up with stuff to do.

But face it, you did this because you got carried. Three level 50 mages in SM? No shit it went fast - that's 5-15 levels high than it requires. You aren't doing that at 60 unless you run with people who vastly over-gear the instance.

My point is that you had incentives to do speed runs in TBC and beyond because you got badges. In Classic, there's no such incentive so it will only be done by people who like to blow away things really fast because they're far more powerful than is needed.
    Last edited by clevin; 2019-09-18 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noxstar View Post
    What the hell is "retail mentality"? People wanting to clear something the fastest way isn't a mentality exclusive to wow.
    No, things like AGDQ/the ballooning speedrunning scene were definitely caused by faceroll dungeons of WotLK and beyond /s

This is not new. This is 15yo. It has always been like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thereturn View Post
    Everywhere you look its people asking for mage aoe or cleave comp or ridiculous level requirements, like 46+ for things like ZF.

The result of years worth creating a playerbase with a "400ilvl minimum for a mythic +1 zerg derp" mentality.

And yes, i know i can make my own groups. Who cares. Its about retail mentality seeping into classic, which sucks balls.

Thoughts?
    These were all things in vanilla, but its hard for you to remember 15 years ago when you want to believe that this is a new behavior. That's my thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

"My xp per hour is low". Thats retail mentality.
    You're delusional if you think no one played this way in Classic. This mentality that everyone back then was just frolicking through the meadows playing for fun alone and getting along with each other is a revisionist myth. People were just as reward-driven back then as they are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    These were all things in vanilla, but its hard for you to remember 15 years ago when you want to believe that this is a new behavior. That's my thought.
    Oh it was there. No doubt. But you would never see 70%+ mages in IF or Tanaris Chat be overspammed with "LFM rush spellcleave GY farm. 4 mage 1 priest and go. Mad xp per hour". I did play vanilla in the later patches (more or less 6 months before BC) on a pretty big server and never saw that. Not in this industrial scale.

And yes, i know i can make my own groups. Who cares. Its about retail mentality seeping into classic, which sucks balls.
    Oh precious sweet summer child.

It's because back in the day WoW had a lot of "first timers" - players who had not played MMOs (or any videogames) before and had really no idea what was going on. These days the majority are players who actually understand how to play MMORPGs - and don't bring shitty unviable classes to runs.

It is not "retail mentality". Minmaxing is huge part of MMORPGs. It was even back in vanilla for us who had played other MMOs seriously before WoW.