Poll: Is faction mechanical change inevitable as of 8.2.5's story beats?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Yeah... I'm going to consider leaving retail for good if they do that. That's not the game I want to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollokdamus View Post
    "We could not fill the chasm between the Horde and Alliance if we labored a thousand years. You know this."
    Break the cycle.

It's really not a question of "IF" it's more of a question of when and how and most importantly what's next.

If nothing happens I'll be majorly disappointed.

I hope that they delete/merge/lower barriers regarding factions.

I do not really believe Blizzard will do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    I do not need to be constructive in this thread, nor provide an argument. There is nothing here to actually debate. Your reasoning is flawed and thusly you have no argument.
    ↑ Epitome of Internet Logic

I think they will allow cross-faction groups/raids but not cross-faction guilds. The only way to have cross-faction guilds is to abolish factions

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm guessing cross faction dungeons/raids and cross faction races (Horde races can be played on the Alliance through some means), but that we still keep some sort of Alliance & Horde around in an overall sense.

I seriously, seriously hope they abandon the concept of factions completely and move to unique racial stories and alliances that can change and evolve. Every race should matter and not be subject to the racial dominance of a faction. Being a Dwarf should matter. BEing a Troll should matter. These groups should have an impact in the world around them.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the Void of my sou... Bah, Argentina :D
    Something big is happening, the Horde and the Alliance don't have a reason to keep existing as segregated factions.

But segregation is what makes this game different from others mmo.

So, that keep me thinking, and hopping, that a new form of segregation will form: Life vs Death.

Life, represented by the old Alliance, old Horde and redeemed Forsaken under Calia's guide.

Death, represented by Sylvanas and her followers, Helya and her Kvaldir, and Azshara and her subjects.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    I can see certain things changing, but no, the factions will be the factions.

The faction divide may change.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post
    Break the cycle.
    Easier said than done. There are old grudges and mutual hatred which are not going away just because some old orc decided to "break the cycle".
    Last edited by Trollokdamus; 2019-09-25 at 01:08 AM.

Not sure why this would even be a big deal...

Every other game (like EVERY ONE) eventually does this...

City of heroes
    Eq2
    Rift
    Etc

Factions start strict, get lifted to enable cross play.,

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    I seriously, seriously hope they abandon the concept of factions completely and move to unique racial stories and alliances that can change and evolve. Every race should matter and not be subject to the racial dominance of a faction. Being a Dwarf should matter. BEing a Troll should matter. These groups should have an impact in the world around them.
    I'd love that as well but it just can't be done. Factions are a core gameplay system in both PvP and (to a lesser extent) questing and PvE. Axe that and you need to rework way too many game systems for that to be worth the while.

Believe me, if lore was the only consideration I'd gladly dissolve factions. Forsaken, Blood Elves, Nightborne, Pandaren, Night Elves, and Void Elves (to cite the most egregious examples) don't fit into their respective factions in any way whatsoever.

Not a big deal. Think GW2 Human/Charr. Shits tense between them but have bigger fish to fry. To think the faction war could continue indefinitely and be interesting is being disingenuous.

Quote Originally Posted by kiramon View Post
    Not sure why this would even be a big deal...

Every other game (like EVERY ONE) eventually does this...

City of heroes
    Eq2
    Rift
    Etc

Factions start strict, get lifted to enable cross play.,
    And how have all those games been doing?

Doubt it.

Horde and Alliance have been at Peace for some periods of time in the past and it never meant the end of factions. I don't think this can ever happen in this game, for gameplay reasons if nothing else.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe the factions will remain as they are from lvl 1 to 120 (or whatever it is after the lvl squish). After that, I could see a collaboration between the two factions. There will be a common threat that both factions will try to oppose together. The Alliance will start at zone A with story X. The Horde will start at zone B with story Y. The player will get to choose what story he prefers. An Alliance player may prefer the Horde story. So he will go to the Embassy. Already only pandaren leaders remain there. Pandaren would be the perfect race to serve as ambassadors between the factions. So the Alliance player will speak to the Huojin ambassador to enlist in the Horde for the "exchange" program or whatever they call that. And then your character becomes "Horde". Of course, the player could choose to return to its faction if a patch or expansion offers a more interesting story for the Alliance.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I'd love that as well but it just can't be done. Factions are a core gameplay system in both PvP and (to a lesser extent) questing and PvE. Axe that and you need to rework way too many game systems for that to be worth the while.

Believe me, if lore was the only consideration I'd gladly dissolve factions. Forsaken, Blood Elves, Nightborne, Pandaren, Night Elves, and Void Elves (to cite the most egregious examples) don't fit into their respective factions in any way whatsoever.
    The thing is I think it's doable. It's not easy, and it would require large shifts in both the development mindset, but also player mindset. And you're right, PVP is likely the trickiest part. But I think what they can do is take the onus of PVP off of the story itself, and put it into the hands of the players.

Imagine a game world where each city is effectively Neutral ground, and is a quest hub for interracial conflicts that aren't about war. Forsaken living in Stormwind and trying to find thir place. Maybe an Orc merchant need help. Maybe humans living in Undercity. What have you. But you can freely move amongst these places regardless of whether you were Horde or Alliance.

But then you have two choices. You declare yourself for a kingdom. So say you're a Dwarf and you declare yourself for Orgrimmar. Orgrimmar is in conflict with Silvermoon. That makes you hated in Blood Elf lands. As stories change and evolve, this can change over time. Allegiances can change. The central story only skirts this and the player is free to work this out as they see fit.

Abd you can have Guild based PVP. Where a guild can declare war on another. Guilds can create alliances. Gain rank and prestige. Get rewards for beating another guild.

Honestly I realize that these are complex and probably not even ideal, but I honestly think it's worth the effort to shake up the game and get out of the rut of faction based conflict. Even beyond the lore standpoint (and I totally agree that lorewise way too many races make zero sense in their respective factions), from a gameplay perspective it's just tired. Blizzard has tried to do the same old thing with factions every expansion. They need a daring new approach. They need to take some risks, because their current product is openly being mocked by their players, and that won't change if they continue the tired retreads.

It's the direction they've been heading since forever, but no, I don't. It'd be too creative and different. Blizzard won't do that. They'll just cook up another excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    "If you want a faction divide, Classic is there for you." - Blizzard, this Blizzcon.
    Let’s hope not.