Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

What can a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be researching or trying to create?

m trying to write an RPG profile about a scientist who is working on something in the era of the New Republic. He does not believe in the Force. I just need something for him to be researching. It really isn’t that important to the story; it just has to sound cool and scientific.It can NOT be game-changing or something that can alter the story in a dramatic way Also it can’t have already been done in Legends or Canon. I want a fresh idea.

It cannot be

- A time machine

-A teleporter

-A matter replicator

-A singularity Weapon

- Any type of droid

-Anything to do with holograms

-A food synthesizer

- Anything to do with the Force or Midi-chlorians

- A shrink ray

-A freeze ray

-pico and femtotechnology

-A Dyson sphere or any type of megastructure.

-Liquid metal armor or a nano morph

-Any improvements on the hyperdrive

-Limb regeneration

-Hyperspace nullifier

-Holodeck

- Knowledge Transfer (Instant learning like in the Matrix)

-Philosophers Stone

-Kinetic weapons

-Solar sail

-Anything to do with kyber crystals

-Gene editing

-Mech suit

-Exosuit

-Gender change

In canon, during the Empire, scientists were researching methods to control droids, lasers that can punch through deflector shields and ship scale disintigrators. These ideas are therefore taken.

Working out dimensional mathematics...for reasons.

What about studying biology,like animal or plant life?

How about studying some kind of social fact relevant to the story you're telling? Like they are trying to understand a particular attitude which crosses cultures and species throughout the galaxy? Or maybe why the rate of technological change has stagnated for so long?

Solid Holograms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Researching a new alloy that's lighter than durasteel and can "absorb" an ion blast without affecting electronic systems.

How about Faster than Light communication? Or any type of comm array improvements?

10+ Year Old Account
    New designer Spice called Vaping
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by Jaynith View Post
    How about Faster than Light communication? Or any type of comm array improvements?
    It does exist.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Researching a new alloy that's lighter than durasteel and can "absorb" an ion blast without affecting electronic systems.
    It does exist : Lando ''Terminator'' Yuutzan Vong killer droids (yes…the EU went far….) had this feature. That was called a dampener.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum7 View Post
    m trying to write an RPG profile about a scientist who is working on something in the era of the New Republic. He does not believe in the Force. I just need something for him to be researching. It really isn’t that important to the story; it just has to sound cool and scientific.It can NOT be game-changing or something that can alter the story in a dramatic way Also it can’t have already been done in Legends or Canon. I want a fresh idea.

It cannot be

- A time machine

-A teleporter

-A matter replicator

-A singularity Weapon

- Any type of droid

-Anything to do with holograms

-A food synthesizer

- Anything to do with the Force or Midi-chlorians

- A shrink ray

-A freeze ray

-pico and femtotechnology

-A Dyson sphere or any type of megastructure.

-Liquid metal armor or a nano morph

-Any improvements on the hyperdrive

-Limb regeneration

-Hyperspace nullifier

-Holodeck

- Knowledge Transfer (Instant learning like in the Matrix)

-Philosophers Stone

-Kinetic weapons

-Solar sail

-Anything to do with kyber crystals

-Gene editing

-Mech suit

-Exosuit

-Gender change

In canon, during the Empire, scientists were researching methods to control droids, lasers that can punch through deflector shields and ship scale disintigrators. These ideas are therefore taken.
    Current canon or Legend canon ?

Do what every lazy Star Wars writer does and make it some Death Star bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cell phones.

I mean honestly it's one thing I never see in Star Wars or a lot of sci-fi. Sure, there are a variety of portable communication devices, but nothing that seems to be mass-marketed to the common folk as a portable communications device, movie player, music player, camera omni-device.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    New designer Spice called Vaping
    Spice-pens! E-Spice!
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Cell phones.

I mean honestly it's one thing I never see in Star Wars or a lot of sci-fi. Sure, there are a variety of portable communication devices, but nothing that seems to be mass-marketed to the common folk as a portable communications device, movie player, music player, camera omni-device.

- - - Updated - - -

Spice-pens! E-Spice!
    I hate to be a party killer, but later in the EU, ''comlinks'' became essentially cell phones.

Maybe some anti-hyperspace kamikaze shield. At least for the biggest and most expensive capital ships in the galaxy.

I would suggest sincerely something simple but that can have society wide impact.

A very basic example. A spacer (to fullfill the fantasies of fans, implicated to be from Tatooine and very resentful of his life as a vapor farmer) bring to Tatooine a spacecraft common in every single system that is not dirt poor, asteroid tugs. He propose to use them to do what seems to him a killer business plan, to tug icy celestial bodies in orbit to provide billions of litres of water, thus freeing farmers from the absurdity of having to farm water. But nether the local big wigs or the vapor farmers are that interested in such drastic change.

(Yes. I'm a very boring person)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Maybe some anti-hyperspace kamikaze shield. At least for the biggest and most expensive capital ships in the galaxy.
    I once made a list of 32 cases of succesfull kamikaze attacks against capital ships in SW.

Something similar to a "cohe wand"

https://www.writeups.org/paratwa-christopher-hinz/

A Cohe wand looks like a black egg with a small, silver tube protruding from one end. Powered by pre-Apocolyptic technology and controlled by subtle hand pressures, they are believed to be the most powerful hand weapon ever devised.
    Cohe wands emit a beam of black energy (capable of slicing, impaling, or melting) which remains connected to the silver protrusion even as it moves towards it’s target. While only the leading 6-18 inches of the beam are dangerous, some Paratwa master a technique which uses the harmless after-trail connecting the front edge to the cohe itself as a distraction. This leads targets to avoid the after-trail while being lured into lethal front end.

Imagine a whip made out of black light that can slice and dice...

This is kind of meta, but what about an astrophysicist studying the lack of time dilation and general lack of special relativity? Like they'd be trying to find out why it doesn't exist, when we know of course that the true reason is an out of universe explanation.

How about... a universal fractionator? Something that separates stuff into components or its elements without needing different chemical reactions or techniques. If it's too broad, you can limit it to be used in a certain field like mining.

New food additives.

Edit: Bonus, he can pretend it's just for flavor, but really it's just soylent green.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..